What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Blake,DWZ,Klemmer, Ramien,J.Roberts
Some of this bigger names to jump ship recently

These are players for which their old club decided they wanted to move on, either to $$$ off the books or because of behavioural issues. These were not cases where the player was being tapped up by opposing clubs. It is is exactly because their contracts were binding that the clubs found themselves in the salary cap problems in the first place.

Gronk

Staff member
Luke Lewis. The best all rounder I think that I have ever seen.
LL certainly started on the wing and ended up in the backrow, but in his last few years was not as versatile as you make out. Taka is in his 30s and remains extremely versatile.

PS you want versatile? I give you Daniel Wagon. Played wing, centre, lock at STG. Came to the Eels and played wing, centre. In 2000 played wing, centre, 5/8, lock and second row in the same year.

Played 5/8 for Qld in 2001, but in the same year played 5/8, lock, centre, and bench middle for the Eels.

Noise

Coach
LL certainly started on the wing and ended up in the backrow, but in his last few years was not as versatile as you make out. Taka is in his 30s and remains extremely versatile.

PS you want versatile? I give you Daniel Wagon. Played wing, centre, lock at STG. Came to the Eels and played wing, centre. In 2000 played wing, centre, 5/8, lock and second row in the same year.

Played 5/8 for Qld in 2001, but in the same year played 5/8, lock, centre, and bench middle for the Eels.
Tyrone Peachey has played every position except prop.

hindy111

Post Whore
Tele reported a Panthers player is free to negotiate and is on a long term deal and it's not RCG. Most likely Whare but who knows.
Chaos down there since Gould left. Ivan is making a bit of a mess. Guess would be disappointed as he had them ready for the title this year. Bit shambolic what's happening now.

hindy111

Post Whore
I thought he debuted for NSW as a centre?

Shaun Johnson another big name moved early Ash Taylor also soon.

Lot harder for average guys like Gower or Taka to move mid contract cause they wont improve a side and are more squad fillers to compliment the stars. Also there clubs no they aren't costing then a lot so good to have around.

Incorrect

Coach

Take him back!! He was bog average in every one of those positions... A Smithy favourite who got way more opportunities than he otherwise would have...

Actually, that's harsh, he was serviceable enough in the backrow I suppose, and anyone who plays as many NRL games as he did deserves some credit, but you could never mention him in the same conversation as someone like Luke Lewis IMO

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Big match coming up this Thursday against Dogs. Their big forwards absolutely hammered the Souths pack so we'll have to be at the top of our game. I'd like to think that Stefano will make his debut for this game as I've been disappointed with our bench performance so far. We'll need more than what they've provided in the finals if we want to make an impact. Btw wouldn't you'd think one of the bench forwards could go into d/h for the 10 mins or so that Mahoney is off? Gutho there limits our attacking ability imo.
Gutherson already has plenty of experience at dummy half. He's usually the one at dummy half on early tackles.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t believe they are exceptions to the rule. I think we are seeing centres becoming less like back rowers again because of the mobility required in defense for the position. Which of the current best centres do you think could play edge forward well? Even Latrell and Leilua would struggle with the work rate involved as well as the lack of space in attack rendering them much less effective. And which of the top backrowers do you think would be effective centres in defense? Mau might be the only one but even he struggles in D at centre.
Well Takairangi certainly struggles defending at centre. Because he's more suited to defending closer to the middle.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well Takairangi certainly struggles defending at centre. Because he's more suited to defending closer to the middle.

It's more how he will go when has to make 30 tackles. If he can handle that then he can be damaging and has offloading capabilities and skill.
Taka would need 12 full games in 2md row to get used to the position. He played there last season when team was busted. He did not get enough time to adjust before moving back to centre. He potentially could be an excellent 2nd rower.

Gronk

Staff member
Take him back!! He was bog average in every one of those positions... A Smithy favourite who got way more opportunities than he otherwise would have...

Actually, that's harsh, he was serviceable enough in the backrow I suppose, and anyone who plays as many NRL games as he did deserves some credit, but you could never mention him in the same conversation as someone like Luke Lewis IMO

I never said that he was better. The context was versatility. Wags played all over the park in 2000/1. That is all.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's more how he will go when has to make 30 tackles. If he can handle that then he can be damaging and has offloading capabilities and skill.
Taka would need 12 full games in 2md row to get used to the position. He played there last season when team was busted. He did not get enough time to adjust before moving back to centre. He potentially could be an excellent 2nd rower.
Yeah I don't think he'll last 80 minutes at edge forward most weeks, but interchange means he doesn't have to.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Talking versatility, how about John Morris?

Played on the wind for Newcastle (I'm sure he even lined up at centre once).

Played 5/8, and hooker, too.

Not as versatile as Peachey, or Taka, but still.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Correct!
He and Brad decided two years ago that his days at center were over.
Well he's always been a utility, but the NRL official profiles require a position to be listed. His skill set is obviously best suited to second roe, but most of his opportunities here have been at centre.

IFR33K

Coach
Tele reported a Panthers player is free to negotiate and is on a long term deal and it's not RCG. Most likely Whare but who knows.
Chaos down there since Gould left. Ivan is making a bit of a mess. Guess would be disappointed as he had them ready for the title this year. Bit shambolic what's happening now.

I’m starting to think they may be cleaning up gus’ mess. Moving contracted players on, some quality ones too. Were or are they over the cap? Something isn’t right

Last edited:

Latest posts