What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Stallion

First Grade
Mate, you always find something to be offended by or complain about, honestly I have never seen someone whinge so much in my life. The idea of wearing this jersey was to get people talking about why they were not in their usual colours, that is the whole point of the exercise. It is called awareness raising for a reason!

The club was doing a good thing to promote a charity and you still find something to whinge and sook about. I could understand if it was a movie promotion etc, but this was for a charity. A charity that has had its government funding stripped and you want to complain that the jumper is not green? Really says all that is needed to be said about you doesn't it?

Lol. States a guy who has missed plenty of positive calls that has been forwarded / commented on by myself. But let's not let truth get in the way of a misleading and incorrect claim. Not only myself but others have been positive however not pointing out some clear issues for the code defeats the purpose of a proactive discourse. That's your call not mine! You have agreed with me on many occasions. For some reason you have taken a set against me . Not my problem.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It is nice that the Raiders promoted a charity and it would mean more if it was a one off rather than how it is now with clubs changing their jersey most weeks. Each jersey loses value.
Five or ten years ago I might have agreed with this but in recent years, clubs have made a point of wearing regular jerseys more often than not. Over 22 rounds this season, clubs have worn either their home or away jersey 88% of the time.

So no, clubs aren't "changing their jerseys most weeks".

I factor that in as one of the reasons NRL clubs get crap crowds. The decreasing identity. The ,most identifiably jersey in Sydney is the Swans jersey because it rarely changes.
They wear an away jersey with a white back quite a few times a year, as well as at least two uses of an indigenous jumper, and last year they even wore a white jumper with a red sash.

Pretending other clubs in other codes don't wear one-off/promotional/themed jumpers regularly doesn't help your case.

For instance a designated charity banner for players to run through prior to kickoff would have worked along with the Raiders wearing their most familiar strip. Some people don't see this? Others do.
A charity banner would have worked? Are you high?
  • It's something that the broadcast of the match might not have even picked up (Fox League for example generally doesn't cut to the ground until players have already run out for the Sunday 4pm match)
  • It happens for about 10-20 seconds and would only having any meaningful impact for the 10-20k at the match, who aren't thinking about a charity when their team is about to run out
  • Once the banner has been run through, there's no ongoing conversation. Nobody asking mid-game "why are Team A wearing Jersey X?".

The viewers (especially new ones,youngsters & the elderly)on Sunday afternoon would be wondering what side was playing Manly??
If they were watching on Fox, then they would have noticed the 'CAN' in the top corner.
upload_2019-8-28_21-11-10.png

More likely though they were watching Channel 9's coverage, where the word "RAIDERS" is splashed in caps across the bottom:

upload_2019-8-28_21-18-33.png

If it was the 80s or 90s when we didn't have scorebugs on the screen you might have a point but this is honestly a quite pointless argument.

Stallion

First Grade
Five or ten years ago I might have agreed with this but in recent years, clubs have made a point of wearing regular jerseys more often than not. Over 22 rounds this season, clubs have worn either their home or away jersey 88% of the time.

They wear an away jersey with a white back quite a few times a year, as well as at least two uses of an indigenous jumper, and last year they even wore a white jumper with a red sash.

Pretending other clubs in other codes don't wear one-off/promotional/themed jumpers regularly doesn't help your case.

A charity banner would have worked? Are you high?
  • It's something that the broadcast of the match might not have even picked up (Fox League for example generally doesn't cut to the ground until players have already run out for the Sunday 4pm match)
  • It happens for about 10-20 seconds and would only having any meaningful impact for the 10-20k at the match, who aren't thinking about a charity when their team is about to run out
  • Once the banner has been run through, there's no ongoing conversation. Nobody asking mid-game "why are Team A wearing Jersey X?".

If they were watching on Fox, then they would have noticed the 'CAN' in the top corner.
View attachment 32580

More likely though they were watching Channel 9's coverage, where the word "RAIDERS" is splashed in caps across the bottom:

View attachment 32581

If it was the 80s or 90s when we didn't have scorebugs on the screen you might have a point but this is honestly a quite pointless argument.

We dissagree. The banner was an example. Could have been aired on tv? Scribed on advertising signs etc? The jumper colour on this day on prime tv was misrepresenting the look of this club. We differ.

sempmrh

Juniors
We dissagree. The banner was an example. Could have been aired on tv? Scribed on advertising signs etc? The jumper colour on this day on prime tv was misrepresenting the look of this club. We differ.

Except it wasn't because it was in club colours. If they were wearing orange you might have a point.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
2019 Jersey stats after Round 23:

Times worn after 22 games:

Home jersey

18 Cronulla
16 St Geo Illa
15 Canterbury & Penrith
13 Canberra
12 Roosters & Parramatta
11 Gold Coast, Manly & Wests Tigers
10 Newcastle & North Qld
9 Brisbane, Melbourne & South Sydney
8 Warriors

Away jersey
10 Brisbane
9 Newcastle, South Sydney, North Qld & Wests Tigers
8 Gold Coast, Manly, Melbourne & Roosters
7 Parramatta
6 Canberra & Penrith
5 Canterbury
4 St Geo Illa
3 Warriors*
2 Cronulla

* Warriors also wore their 'alternate' (white) jersey 7 times.

Of 352 jerseys worn in 2019 after 22 rounds, 307 of them (including the Warriors' alternate) have been either home or away - only 45 times has a different jersey been worn:

5 Heritage = GLD MEL PAR WAR WST
5 Women in League = GLD MEL NQL PAR SOU
8 Other theme/charity = CAN CRO MAN(2) MEL NEW(2) SOU
19 Indigenous = all clubs once plus BRI CAN & WAR a second time
8 ANZAC = BRI CBY MEL NQL SOU SGI SYD WAR

unforgiven

Bench
Lol. States a guy who has missed plenty of positive calls that has been forwarded / commented on by myself. But let's not let truth get in the way of a misleading and incorrect claim. Not only myself but others have been positive however not pointing out some clear issues for the code defeats the purpose of a proactive discourse. That's your call not mine! You have agreed with me on many occasions. For some reason you have taken a set against me . Not my problem.
I don't have a set against you, just don't have a high opinion of someone that thinks a jersey colour is more important than supporting a charity that has had all its government funding stripped. If you truly believe the jersey colour is more important then that is extremely low in my opinion!

Stallion

First Grade
Except it wasn't because it was in club colours. If they were wearing orange you might have a point.

The main colour of the Raiders is lime green. This is synonymous with the look of that club. The point is purely about the main club colours being effectively exposed to a wider audience. This did not happen with a mainly blue and white playing strip.

Stallion

First Grade
I don't have a set against you, just don't have a high opinion of someone that thinks a jersey colour is more important than supporting a charity that has had all its government funding stripped. If you truly believe the jersey colour is more important then that is extremely low in my opinion!

The main jersey colour for a club should be paramount when the club is being shown to a wider audience. Otherwise many are wondering whom they are. Their is nothing against any charity in my opinion. It's purely about the effective marketing and public relations of the football. club to the wider public. If people are guessing/wondering who is playing due to colour changes them how on earth do potential fans get what's going on. Who do they look for next week when the same club runs around in different colours? That's the point . Mind you it's not just Raiders that make this mistake.Other clubs are doing their brand look no favours as well. Other rival codes like the AFL are more consistent with their look. It helps that bit more for universal market recognition.

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
The glut of one-offs seems to have hit a peak 2-3 years ago. The balance feels a lot better now.

mistertaylor

Juniors
Can't believe this discussion/argument has dragged on for 4 pages in this thread.

Can we at least agree that the Cowboys strip needs a bigger set of horns across the front?

unforgiven

Bench
If people are guessing/wondering who is playing due to colour changes them how on earth do potential fans get what's going on.
That is the point though isn't it? They are making people intentionally ask why are the Raiders playing in a different jersey to create discussion about the Charity, no other strategy would create that discussion, so it is a very valid strategy and the best way to promote them!

T-Boon

Coach

They are. I doubt Parra has worn the same jersey two games in a row. We have 5 jerseys this season.

They always seem to be in the same jersey. Maybe it is that they also don't change year to year whilst in the NRL they seem to change the jersey every year. It is also that their sponsor ads are generally a lot more discrete, secondary to the club logo or whatever.

I was reading a sports marketing article last night that went on about brand recognition being the most important thing. Distinguishing the club from other sports clubs/sports. It was an interesting study I will put up a link.

I think ideally the jersey should be instantly recognisable and distinguishable. Think the yankees pinstripes and the cowboys lone star.

Frailty

First Grade
The main jersey colour for a club should be paramount when the club is being shown to a wider audience. Otherwise many are wondering whom they are. Their is nothing against any charity in my opinion. It's purely about the effective marketing and public relations of the football. club to the wider public. If people are guessing/wondering who is playing due to colour changes them how on earth do potential fans get what's going on. Who do they look for next week when the same club runs around in different colours? That's the point . Mind you it's not just Raiders that make this mistake.Other clubs are doing their brand look no favours as well. Other rival codes like the AFL are more consistent with their look. It helps that bit more for universal market recognition.

I guess we will ignore the numerous occasions where AFL teams have worn Marvel or speciality jerseys as well. Look up North Melbourne orange, or St Kilda Yellow guernseys.

Or how about the Premier League have away shirts that have absolutely nothing to do with their teams colours?

Or how about the NBA City edition jerseys - or their classic editions - or their Chinese new year jerseys?

Or MLB with their Players' weekend jerseys?

Or the NFL Color Rush?

It seems that the biggest sporting leagues in the world do it with no issue. But I guess your communications degree knows better.

The fact is that this one game where Canberra have worn a jersey with the focus of increasing exposure of a charity has little to zero affect on the retention of new fans to the team or game. That is simply the truth based on evidence from all over the world.

mn_tibor

Juniors
You know as a none Raiders fan, I would be more inclined to follow them knowing that they chose to wear a charity jersey on a very rare free-to-air game. This is a lot better for their brand then if they wore the charity jersey on any old week to put priority on wearing lime green on national tv.

yakstorm

First Grade
Most clubs have seen that there is a limit on the number of jersey variations which are profitable, same manufacturers know for certain clubs, there simply isn't the audience to sell too many different kits.

This has contributed to some rationalisation of the number of kits out there. Throw in that a number of clubs have taken the conscious choice to make their 'special' jerseys simply variations of their their home or away kits.

The Eels and Roosters WIL, Panthers, Roosters, Sharks and Bulldogs Indigenous kits, Bulldogs, Cowboys & Dragons ANZAC jerseys are all examples of this. Sure on this forum we count them as a 'new jersey' but to a lot of people watching, they wouldn't remember / care / notice much difference in say:

This:
sydney-roosters-away.jpg

And this:
sydney-roosters-indigenous.jpg

Anyway, on the Raiders on the weekend, as mentioned, the kit they wore was just a variation of their away jersey, still included ACT colours, and was for a good cause. For a club which has found a way to wear green on their jersey for most of the year, and has done a great job of building a 'look' of having a primary 'green' canvas with 'white, blue & gold' stripes as their kit since 2005, I would hardly say they are neglecting their brand.

On that kit actually, I hope the Cowboys can go to ISC and say, can we start with this as the 'inspiration' for next year's home jersey... change the green to grey or yellow, and remove the 'Deaf Australia' imprint design, and you have a really nice kit which pay homage to the 1995 kit but is also different.

1435732-1200.jpg

GAZF

First Grade
Most clubs have seen that there is a limit on the number of jersey variations which are profitable, same manufacturers know for certain clubs, there simply isn't the audience to sell too many different kits.

This has contributed to some rationalisation of the number of kits out there. Throw in that a number of clubs have taken the conscious choice to make their 'special' jerseys simply variations of their their home or away kits.

The Eels and Roosters WIL, Panthers, Roosters, Sharks and Bulldogs Indigenous kits, Bulldogs, Cowboys & Dragons ANZAC jerseys are all examples of this. Sure on this forum we count them as a 'new jersey' but to a lot of people watching, they wouldn't remember / care / notice much difference in say:

This:
sydney-roosters-away.jpg

And this:
sydney-roosters-indigenous.jpg

Anyway, on the Raiders on the weekend, as mentioned, the kit they wore was just a variation of their away jersey, still included ACT colours, and was for a good cause. For a club which has found a way to wear green on their jersey for most of the year, and has done a great job of building a 'look' of having a primary 'green' canvas with 'white, blue & gold' stripes as their kit since 2005, I would hardly say they are neglecting their brand.

On that kit actually, I hope the Cowboys can go to ISC and say, can we start with this as the 'inspiration' for next year's home jersey... change the green to grey or yellow, and remove the 'Deaf Australia' imprint design, and you have a really nice kit which pay homage to the 1995 kit but is also different.

1435732-1200.jpg
Its taken a few years for the clubs to react to their markets but jerseys like these do feel better integrated into the club's branding these days. My ultimate preference would be for teams to not co-opt other brands into their own, but its not particularly realistic and they're now at least making wiser decisions on how to apply them alongside their own.

Stallion

First Grade
That is the point though isn't it? They are making people intentionally ask why are the Raiders playing in a different jersey to create discussion about the Charity, no other strategy would create that discussion, so it is a very valid strategy and the best way to promote them!

Missing the point. Casual and new fans to the code will not be aware of this. They are confused. And fans whom see their club in a certain look can be pissed off as well. The consistency of look is probably the main point missed here. It does no favours for universal recognition.

Stallion

First Grade
I guess we will ignore the numerous occasions where AFL teams have worn Marvel or speciality jerseys as well. Look up North Melbourne orange, or St Kilda Yellow guernseys.

Or how about the Premier League have away shirts that have absolutely nothing to do with their teams colours?

Or how about the NBA City edition jerseys - or their classic editions - or their Chinese new year jerseys?

Or MLB with their Players' weekend jerseys?

Or the NFL Color Rush?

It seems that the biggest sporting leagues in the world do it with no issue. But I guess your communications degree knows better.

The fact is that this one game where Canberra have worn a jersey with the focus of increasing exposure of a charity has little to zero affect on the retention of new fans to the team or game. That is simply the truth based on evidence from all over the world.

The AFL do nowhere near the amount of jersey changes compared to the NRL. Both codes are relatively isolated. With rugby league having some international presence but nowhere near it's potential. With this country being the flagship rugby-league competition of the world , toying with club colours is not wise both on credibility, consistency and universal recognition stakes.