What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
So, at best in that circumstance the difference b/w cities is zero. In the long run you (or your beneficiaries) sell. The upside is bigger in Brisbane.
Wasn’t that my point about cost of living being no different? And market to market the upside in Brisbane is well below Sydney, especially someone with huge disposable income, buying a home, in a downturn with potential 5 year at least view. Or did you mean the potential downside for a loss making sale is less in Brisbane?
Anyway my point was the cost of living these days for footballers is negligible, the old adage of Brisbane is cheaper is long dead (why haven’t all the Scum players moved back home?), and players are used to being away from home as well so that’s hardly a factor (why doesn’t Fifita play for Tits?), so players aren’t staying for $500k less or even $100k a year. It’d have to be very very specific circumstances, or they aren’t staying for less, only maybe less on the cap.

Delboy

First Grade
I thought the NRL won't register a contract if you are, including the new contract, going to be over the salary cap. You must be in accordance of the cap when registering every contract. That way they head off previous stuf ups.
There is a point that the NRL is openly experienced at being inconsistent . We are told ad nauseum that the cap evens players out, so when Folau was denied being registered as the first year of the contract was below market rate, then we read that every Bronco and Roosters player that is off contract re signs for considerably less than offered elsewhere. That makes no sense , but then again the game is overseen by Toddy Boy.

They allowed Crighton and Tedesco to sign for the Roosters for less than on offer from their existing club, how does any of that seem legit.

The consistency that is the inconsistent NRL under the leadership of the politician and friend of certain clubs that is Greenberg

Bandwagon

Staff member
On Fifita signing for say 600k and staying put , vs. say 800k and moving I don't think it all that controversial. Personally if I was happy where I was earning 600k, a coupla hundred k to uproot and leave mightn't be all that attractive. Particularly for a bloke who's at the beginning of his career with loads of potential for high earnings for years to come, I mean how much money does the kid need to be happy?

It's all relative, if he was being offered the minimum of $110k to stay, he'd probably really consider moving for a helluva lot less than the above difference, because it would make a helluva lot more difference to his life.

IFR33K

Coach
On Fifita signing for say 600k and staying put , vs. say 800k and moving I don't think it all that controversial. Personally if I was happy where I was earning 600k, a coupla hundred k to uproot and leave mightn't be all that attractive. Particularly for a bloke who's at the beginning of his career with loads of potential for high earnings for years to come, I mean how much money does the kid need to be happy?

It's all relative, if he was being offered the minimum of $110k to stay, he'd probably really consider moving for a helluva lot less than the above difference, because it would make a helluva lot more difference to his life.

It’s a couple hundred k per season, not
Over the term of the contract. Its a huge amount.

Bandwagon

Staff member
It’s a couple hundred k per season, not
Over the term of the contract. Its a huge amount.

Yes it is, but again relatively speaking it's not the be all and end all.

The guys still a kid, and he'll be earning north of half a million a year for the next four or five years regardless of where he signs. Now everyone's got different priorities, but you gotta ask yourself how much is enough to make you happy?

Like I said, if he was looking at a minimum contract vs say another 30 or 40k on top of that, it'd be a different kind of decision, because that's hardly the kind of coin that's gonna set him up for life, but half a million plus is a whole different kettle of fish.

I'm just offering up that for most people there's a point where enough is enough when it comes to earnings, and then other considerations become more important, and the more you earn to begin with, the more you have the luxury of placing those considerations above and beyond your potential earnings.

emjaycee

Coach

The guys still a kid, and he'll be earning north of half a million a year for the next four or five years regardless of where he signs. Now everyone's got different priorities, but you gotta ask yourself how much is enough to make you happy?

Like I said, if he was looking at a minimum contract vs say another 30 or 40k on top of that, it'd be a different kind of decision, because that's hardly the kind of coin that's gonna set him up for life, but half a million plus is a whole different kettle of fish.

I'm just offering up that for most people there's a point where enough is enough when it comes to earnings, and then other considerations become more important, and the more you earn to begin with, the more you have the luxury of placing those considerations above and beyond your potential earnings.
One of the reasons professional sport people get big bucks is that it is recognised that their ability to earn those big bucks isn't forever and lets be serious, most of these guys aren't brilliant academically (I am not saying Fifita, just generalising) so their earning capacity beyond football isn't necessarily going to be too much higher than the average Australian wage.

If someone earns the average Australian wage for a 40 year working career, they will likely earn in the vicinity of $6.5m over that time. If Fifita was to take an $800k contract now, and play for 10 years at the top before spending 30 years earning the average wage, he would earn somewhere north of $14M over 40 years. If he took $600k contract for the next 4 years, that is about $1M less he would have.

That extra million is extra security for his family and his future (actually worth more than $1M if he invests it wisely as he is earning it at the beginning of his working life, not at the end).

I would be taking the extra cash now.

IFR33K

Coach

History shows these kids are ‘happy’ to take less at the roosters and in particular the broncos. Every year or two we are reading repetitive/recycled stories (albeit different players) about players taking less to stay at Brisbane. Then when these said players leave, it automatically frees up 2 mill to sign or resign 4 gun players.

Happening far to often to be a coincidence. Especially when 300k cash mysteriously disappears and automatically reappears at one of the said clubs.

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
From memory the only player the broncos have lost to another club who they wanted to keep was Justin Hodges, to ofcourse the roosters.

The chances Fafita ends up at Parra is so low it's hardly worth talking about.

Glenneel

Bench
One of the reasons professional sport people get big bucks is that it is recognised that their ability to earn those big bucks isn't forever and lets be serious, most of these guys aren't brilliant academically (I am not saying Fifita, just generalising) so their earning capacity beyond football isn't necessarily going to be too much higher than the average Australian wage.

If someone earns the average Australian wage for a 40 year working career, they will likely earn in the vicinity of $6.5m over that time. If Fifita was to take an $800k contract now, and play for 10 years at the top before spending 30 years earning the average wage, he would earn somewhere north of $14M over 40 years. If he took $600k contract for the next 4 years, that is about $1M less he would have.

That extra million is extra security for his family and his future (actually worth more than $1M if he invests it wisely as he is earning it at the beginning of his working life, not at the end).

You're thinking long term because your older and probably lament some of the decisions you've made that have cost you big time. Young people like Fifita generally don't think that way, they live more for today and don't think about tomorrow. So he'll probably stay for less.

When he's 50-60 he'll lament his decision not to move and wonder where all his money went to as he sits in his housing commission one bedroomed unit.

hindy111

Post Whore

Plus he may just sign a 2yr deal with Broncos then cash in when he is 21.
Why do people think he will sign a 5yr deal on huge unders.

hindy111

Post Whore

Also depends on background. Some kids from the Bush who want to return to the Bush may be happy to be 30 and have 2mill in the bank to take home.
Also it's a huge difference then comparing a normal worker. Of someone's earning 65k then paying tax and living expenses throw in a few holidays and.not much left to save. In comparrison to earning a bulk amount early and being able to save a heap and invest it. By the time they are 33 and retired from NRL they could have a nice house paid and an investment property earning an income. No mortgage or rent along with $500 rental income and 65k isn't a bad deal at all in my books.

hindy111

Post Whore
But to others they would want a lot more. Depends on lifestyle and what an individual seems important
It's why guys like Hopoate sacrificed 1 million to do charity for the mormons.

strider

Post Whore
Now Boyd might take a pay cut, but he aint about to completely walk away from $1.6 million "for the good of the team". Particularly when one considers he's got f**k all chance of ever making up for that kind of loss of income post footy.

I'm sure there are some creative ways ;)

History shows these kids are ‘happy’ to take less at the roosters and in particular the broncos. Every year or two we are reading repetitive/recycled stories (albeit different players) about players taking less to stay at Brisbane. Then when these said players leave, it automatically frees up 2 mill to sign or resign 4 gun players.

Happening far to often to be a coincidence. Especially when 300k cash mysteriously disappears and automatically reappears at one of the said clubs.

The Broncos may well cheat, but they don't need to. They've been allowed to be the one team in the largest one-team rugby league city in the country. They can get legal TPAs that are not feasible for teams in Sydney. Put another team in Brisbane and things will change.

Happy MEel

First Grade
The other consideration is playing in a successful team. TBH, I think we’re a more attractive proposition than the Broncs over the next 3 - 5 years. We’ve got a good young spine, plenty of potential in the middle, very good outside backs and one good young edge forward. He would potentially complete the puzzle.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
The other consideration is playing in a successful team. TBH, I think we’re a more attractive proposition than the Broncs over the next 3 - 5 years. We’ve got a good young spine, plenty of potential in the middle, very good outside backs and one good young edge forward. He would potentially complete the puzzle.
What about the players who will go to the Broncos to play with Haas and Fifita. Cause IMO, that are that good.

emjaycee

Coach
You're thinking long term because your older and probably lament some of the decisions you've made that have cost you big time. Young people like Fifita generally don't think that way, they live more for today and don't think about tomorrow. So he'll probably stay for less.

When he's 50-60 he'll lament his decision not to move and wonder where all his money went to as he sits in his housing commission one bedroomed unit.
Which is why a young footballer earning big money has a manager, should have a financial advisor and should listen to his parents.

Latest posts