What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, and why not just make an Australian team, dress them in Maroon, call them Queensland and expect New South Welshman to show up?

People have bought into Rugby League for the tribalism. I'm passionate about MY club. Not some other made-up big bash club. You can't ask for passion then expect people to just be happy when their club gets turfed.

My game day experience is fantastic. I drink beer in the sun with friends. There are food trucks. There are plenty of kid's activities. I have a League's Club to attend prior to and after the game. And that Leagues Club will be vastly improved in 24 months time.

Even if I did buy into this (which I wouldn't) I could maybe make it to two or three games a year, as opposed to 12 now. Consumer lost.

Thats just a historic thing. It grows over time. Its not really tribalism its about connecting with something that you somehow feel a part of. What makes you feel a part or connected is very varied. Storm have only been around 20 years but already have a larger active fanbase than some clubs with 100 years behind them. Whilst you love YOUR club, the next fans that come along will love a different club for possibly different reasons if that is what is available. If your club dropped into NSW cup would you still love it and follow it? Probably not so its not just the club, its the competition and the media and the hype and the profile etc etc that attracts you. Your 13k active fans would drop to 1-2k active fans so how much do they really love THEIR club?

Thats great, pleased you enjoy it, problem is that isnt appealing to enough you's. Your club cant survive on 13k, it needs 20k realistically but you dont have the facilities or the fanbase to get that so what then? Lets be honest like Souths winning lotto in having a hollywood mega millionaire as a fan that bailed them out, Sharks also won lotto by having land gifted to it to sell. Problem is lotto wins dont come around very often and when the money is gone then what?

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Channel 9’s sneaky bid to poach NRL final round blockbuster
Channel 9 has attempted to snatch an exclusive final-round NRL blockbuster from Fox Sports, featuring teams under threat of being killed off under controversial plans from the broadcaster.
Channel 9 has done a sudden backflip on its agenda to cut Sydney’s NRL teams, at least when it suits their TV ratings this weekend.

The network’s director of sport Tom Malone is now apparently a fan of suburban football and wants to cover the Wests Tigers v Cronulla Sharks blockbuster at Leichhardt Oval that will decide eighth position for the finals.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Malone rang the NRL on Sunday night to try to switch coverage of the two Sunday games in the final round this weekend.Fox Sports has exclusive rights to the Wests Tigers v Cronulla Sharks game that is expected to be the highest-rating Fox Sports rugby league game in history.

Meanwhile, the Nine network has been left with a match with no impact on the finals — the Penrith Panthers against the Newcastle Knights — after having their request rejected to switch games.

“On Sunday they’re on the front page wanting a team like Cronulla to be kicked out,” one official said.

“Next day they’re ringing up desperately trying to get coverage of one of their games.”

Of Channel 9’s four NRL games this weekend, only one has any finals relevance — Thursday night’s derby between South Sydney and the Sydney Roosters, where the Rabbitohs are trying to lock in a top-four spot.
On Friday, Fox Sports has the 6pm blockbuster between Parramatta and Manly, while the 7.50pm game is Melbourne up against North Queensland.

Saturday night is even worse with the Channel 9 game being the battle of the bottom between the Gold Coast and St George Illawarra, before Sunday’s inconsequential Penrith v Newcastle clash at 4pm.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed one of Sydney’s nine NRL clubs was facing extinction as rugby league broadcaster Channel 9 plans to accommodate a second Brisbane team.

Over the weekend Malone declared: “It’s a hard decision (to kick out teams) but probably one that needs to be made in the longer term interests of the game.

“That could come from another team being relocated there, or better still another club being discontinued and a new club established in Brisbane.”

Blues legend and Channel 9 commentator Brad Fittler later towed the company line, calling for the Sharks to move to Perth and the Sea Eagles to move to Gosford.

An NRL spokesman confirmed Nine’s approach to change the Sunday schedule has been declined.

Quicksilver

Bench
Thats just a historic thing. It grows over time. Its not really tribalism its about connecting with something that you somehow feel a part of. What makes you feel a part or connected is very varied. Storm have only been around 20 years but already have a larger active fanbase than some clubs with 100 years behind them. Whilst you love YOUR club, the next fans that come along will love a different club for possibly different reasons if that is what is available. If your club dropped into NSW cup would you still love it and follow it? Probably not so its not just the club, its the competition and the media and the hype and the profile etc etc that attracts you. Your 13k active fans would drop to 1-2k active fans so how much do they really love THEIR club?

Thats great, pleased you enjoy it, problem is that isnt appealing to enough you's. Your club cant survive on 13k, it needs 20k realistically but you dont have the facilities or the fanbase to get that so what then? Lets be honest like Souths winning lotto in having a hollywood mega millionaire as a fan that bailed them out, Sharks also won lotto by having land gifted to it to sell. Problem is lotto wins dont come around very often and when the money is gone then what?

Then we'll be gone.

But why push someone off the cliff for no reason?

It's funny how you consider us developing a long-held asset as a "lotto win". We are trying to better utilise that asset by developing it and establishing an ongoing cash flow. Just as any sensible business or individual would.

Funnily enough, Perth or any other team are going to have to rely on some type of "lotto win" too. How far will you get without a solid backer? How long will it be sustainable for in a non- Rugby League state? Particularly if you don't get instant results. Your overheads are going to be so substantial due to the tyranny of distance.

Windy70

Juniors
Perth , you seem to be reasonable in your arguments.

Is it easier to kick a tenant or an owner? I know I'm ranting about this fact but I think it will play a big role if and when a decision is made. Common sense to me.
Our future , as it appears now, relies on investments made and happening right now in Cronulla, on our land You can't just pull the rug from under it. Not the NRL, Council, Government, Channel nine, Foxtel, no one.

Laws would need to be changed.

Cronulla will be thrown into the TOO HARD basket.
We're gonna be fine.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Sharks have survived for over 50 years. Brisbane2 and Perth could only manage three years. Sharks are a lot more stable than the mooted expansion locations

The Sharks are in a better spot financially now than they have been, have a good junior base and like it has been mentioned before, would leave a gaping hole in the southern Sydney area if they were cut. I say it should be survival of the fittest and they are doing a pretty good job of it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Then we'll be gone.

It's funny how you consider us developing a long-held asset as a "lotto win". We are trying to better utilise that asset by developing it and establishing an ongoing cash flow. Just as any sensible business or individual would.

Funnily enough, Perth or any other team are going to have to rely on some type of "lotto win" too. How far will you get without a solid backer? How long will it be sustainable for in a non- Rugby League state? Particularly if you don't get instant results. Your overheads are going to be so substantial due to the tyranny of distance.

Yep it will be a challenge no doubt and sadly the game still hasnt grown big enough to have a lot of confidence that it wont be without its difficulties. We do have some big money backers and a pretty active, all be it smallish, fanbase here which is on our side but the lack of interest in the NRL is certainly a challenge everywhere.

Sharks have done well to utilise a fortunate situation to clear debts and put some money in the bank that once again keeps the wolves from the door. If nothing else they have become very adept and overcoming adversities!

NRL needs to make a tough decision. Grow on the back of what exists, or cull to grow. Main thing is they come up with a growth plan. Despite all their new found wealth over last ten years the game hasnt grown at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Flick back three years to 2016, thanks.

2018- equal first on points.

In the last 8 years we've made the finals 7 times (if we make it this year).

Yep I'll give you that, despite how sht the club is run you do manage to often put good sides together.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
If Channel 9 is feeling stabby, could it take out its urges on McGregor at the same time? I'd lock my TV to Channel 9 for the rest of existence and devote my first and second born to its ongoing survival if it could take out McGenius at the same time it takes out someone else.

taipan

Referee
But Sharks have $100 billion worth of prime swampland to sell... Surely they'll be ok...

No they don't have anything to sell.They will have a new leagues club surrounded by 880 new expensive apartments, hotel, money in the Bank, a new Centre of Excellence increased seating.a large junior league and their own ground.
There ain't no swampland involved.And not owned by a private individual.

Tiger5150

Bench
There in lies the problem. Surviving not thriving.

5 of the Top 8 are Sydney Clubs

6 of the top 9 teams are Sydney Clubs, its possible that 7 of the top 10 teams will be Sydney Clubs...out of a possible 9. I would say that is disproportionally successful.

Reining premiers are a Sydney Club.

Meanwhile that great RL state (not sarcasm) that has the whole state to just three clubs (remember the logic that 9 teams in Sydney is too many, so 3 to the whole of QLD must be all powerful)...there is 1 QLD team in the top 11 teams and the spoon will be won by a QLD team.

Lets be serious and not make shit up.

This whole current manufactured nonsense has zero to do with the "good of the game" and is all about Channel 9 trying to flex some power over the NRL in a rapidly shrinking market.

Perth Red

Post Whore
5 of the Top 8 are Sydney Clubs

6 of the top 9 teams are Sydney Clubs, its possible that 7 of the top 10 teams will be Sydney Clubs...out of a possible 9. I would say that is disproportionally successful.

Reining premiers are a Sydney Club.

Meanwhile that great RL state (not sarcasm) that has the whole state to just three clubs (remember the logic that 9 teams in Sydney is too many, so 3 to the whole of QLD must be all powerful)...there is 1 QLD team in the top 11 teams and the spoon will be won by a QLD team.

Lets be serious and not make shit up.

This whole current manufactured nonsense has zero to do with the "good of the game" and is all about Channel 9 trying to flex some power over the NRL in a rapidly shrinking market.

5 of top 8 is the norm for last few years at least. That is 62% of clubs in top 8 are from Sydney. Overall 56.2% of clubs in the NRL are from Sydney. Ergo Sydney clubs are punching slightly above their weight in making the finals. If we factor in the variables to this result such as access to Jnrs, size of LC funding , lack of travel compared to others etc there is an argument that you would expect a biased result such as this.

SBD82

Coach
Imagine if there was a club representing the south of sydney drawing 40k sell outs to a new allianz stadium, there was food trucks and a beer village in the park pre game, there was womens, reserves and first grade games running from 1pm and tickets included train fare. Loads of stuff for the kids to have fun with. Would you be bothered to get off your bum and go along for that experience? Id suggest many will as many do in other parts of the world.
What you’ve described here is very similar to what was promised from super rugby.

I think it’s fair to say that super rugby has not been a success.

mongoose

Coach
I reckon Greenberg or Beattie would have leaked something to Nine. I doubt Nine would just come out and suddenly say "we want a 2nd Brisbane team". Just a hunch but I would say this is Greenberg putting Sydney clubs on notice and getting his mates and stakeholders to put pressure on them.

carcharias

Immortal
Who the f**k can guarantee Brisbanians won’t just tell the new team to get f**ked?

I’m sure the Broncos dont want any competition.

Imagine having to play in a competitive market?

taipan

Referee
Then we'll be gone.

A new leagues club next door, another 200 units to be added over the retail,a Centree of Excellence with a $10-12m State Govt grant, additional seating and sponsorship boxes, the fans showed on a Sunday afternoon nigh on 19k and PR makes his assessment on other factors.Of course without a ball being kicked he PR is absolutely certain his new team ,will be long term 100% viable.I remember all the promises made when the Titans came in and they had to be rescued by thee NRL and then privately.

He seems to believe that tribalism in Sydney and rugby league in particular ,will somehow be made up by rationalisation.

South Sydney when they were flicked and the Bears fans certainly haven't latched onto other NRL clubs in numbers.They have gone missing in action, exactly what will happen with any NRL club moved .Yet he can't see it, because he has no real connection with any Sydney NRL club.And it shows big time.

Latest posts