What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The way ahead for rugby in Australia

Stallion

First Grade
The inferior code just got a bigger crowd then the Origin game. New stadium record too.

Using sly tactics doesn't impress! Rugby league drew over 59000 on a rain sodden Sunday night in a 60000 capacity stadium for a state game. Union gets a bit over 61000 in a 65000 capacity stadium on a Saturday night with fine weather. Go figure. Your fake bravado shows how dumb you really are. It's also been noted that rugby league ticket prices were double that of the union game!

sportas

Juniors
Using sly tactics doesn't impress! Rugby league drew over 59000 on a rain sodden Sunday night in a 60000 capacity stadium for a state game. Union gets a bit over 61000 in a 65000 capacity stadium on a Saturday night with fine weather. Go figure. Your fake bravado shows how dumb you really are. It's also been noted that rugby league ticket prices were double that of the union game!
Hahahaha you’re so full of shit. it’s a 60k stadium and the had to get extra seating . Origin the peak of rugby league compared to a meaningless rugby championship game during a World Cup year. Tickets were given away by the WA government for the origin game. A friend of mine who works for the NRL and is married to an employee of the WA government told me.

ReddFelon

Juniors
FB_IMG_1565445623104.jpg FB_IMG_1565445809140.jpg

These are my photos from tonight's Bledisloe and Origin 2 at Optus.

At Origin I sat in Row 2 of section 143 directly on the halfway line and a single row from the grass. This cost me $180.

At the Bledisloe I sat in Row 15 of section 138, near the 22 metre line, on a slight angle and 14 rows away from the field. This cost me $170.

The tickets were not any cheaper and the Bledisloe Cup sold more. At both games mostnof my friends involved in WA Rugby and WA League were in attendance and everyone thought they were excellent events. As I'm boarding my plane back to the Gold Coast in 30 minutes I have no doubt Stallion will say some silly, juvenile, code wars insult in response. Both games are great for WA and both sports.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1565440437431.jpg
    FB_IMG_1565440437431.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 2

Stallion

First Grade
View attachment 32133 View attachment 32132

These are my photos from tonight's Bledisloe and Origin 2 at Optus.

At Origin I sat in Row 2 of section 143 directly on the halfway line and a single row from the grass. This cost me $180.

At the Bledisloe I sat in Row 15 of section 138, near the 22 metre line, on a slight angle and 14 rows away from the field. This cost me $170.

The tickets were not any cheaper and the Bledisloe Cup sold more. At both games mostnof my friends involved in WA Rugby and WA League were in attendance and everyone thought they were excellent events. As I'm boarding my plane back to the Gold Coast in 30 minutes I have no doubt Stallion will say some silly, juvenile, code wars insult in response. Both games are great for WA and both sports.

Lol. A jab at a fair minded contributor whom is aware of what union has been doing internationally against rugby-league? How sports minded! I wasn't even interested until someone from 'fight club' started boasting about some union crowd that expected 65000 and got 61000. Think the state rugby league game got over 59000 expecting 60000 with no elaborate extra seating set up that in reality only produced a tad over 1000 of normal ground capacity. Please note given how boring union is its a gloat for the code that entices unaware neutrals and ofcourse indoctrinated people of New Zealand and places like South Africa. And the unsuspecting Aussies who don't know about what union has and still is doing toward the more attractive code of rugby league. I stand by my stance and will continue with it on the grounds of fair-minded sportsmanship in the big picture of things. Wonder if the Australia wide tv ratings were as good as the rugbyleague state games earlier this year? But shouldn't mention/quibble about such truths .Should we?

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
It was a pretty special crowd for a good game of rugby.

There is a fanbase for Rugby Union in this country, the problem is that RA has absolutely no idea how to tap into them. Super Rugby is at this point doing more harm than good to the code.

The Wallabies get great crowds. I went to a bucks party recently in Sydney where we went and watched Randwick play at Coogee Oval - they had to shut the gates and put the house full sign up 20 minutes prior to kickoff. It may only hold 5,000 people, but it was club football and people were really in to it.

I just don't know how they're going to sort out the mess that is the middle-tier of the sport. I used to watch league and union on a 75/25 split, but I reckon it's been four or five years since I regularly watched the Waratahs. I only watched one game in total this season, probably the same last year. And, amongst my circle of friends - who all went to a union school and grew up in a pro-union area - I'm pretty representative. A lot of my friends used to go to Waratahs games or at least watch them regularly on TV. Now nobody does.

Stallion

First Grade

There is a fanbase for Rugby Union in this country, the problem is that RA has absolutely no idea how to tap into them. Super Rugby is at this point doing more harm than good to the code.

The Wallabies get great crowds. I went to a bucks party recently in Sydney where we went and watched Randwick play at Coogee Oval - they had to shut the gates and put the house full sign up 20 minutes prior to kickoff. It may only hold 5,000 people, but it was club football and people were really in to it.

I just don't know how they're going to sort out the mess that is the middle-tier of the sport. I used to watch league and union on a 75/25 split, but I reckon it's been four or five years since I regularly watched the Waratahs. I only watched one game in total this season, probably the same last year. And, amongst my circle of friends - who all went to a union school and grew up in a pro-union area - I'm pretty representative. A lot of my friends used to go to Waratahs games or at least watch them regularly on TV. Now nobody does.

That's tells me they are discerning sports viewers. Rugby league is a far more attractive code to watch and play in my opinion.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Hahahaha you’re so full of shit. it’s a 60k stadium and the had to get extra seating . Origin the peak of rugby league compared to a meaningless rugby championship game during a World Cup year. Tickets were given away by the WA government for the origin game. A friend of mine who works for the NRL and is married to an employee of the WA government told me.
Union has always given tixs away exp around the "network", stop with the rot all sports do it.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Union has always given tixs away exp around the "network", stop with the rot all sports do it.
In the case of Optus Stadium I sincerely doubt that either Origin or the Bledisloe had any tickets "given away" that weren't part of a corporate sponsor deal, the public allocations both sold out in August/September of 2018. The Bledisloe was reported a sell out 2 weeks after they went on sale, Origin as well.

Dark Corner

Juniors

See a full house at Randwick v Pumas but noticed the Bankwest game wasn't sold out like the Shute Shield game.

Stallion

First Grade
See a full house at Randwick v Pumas but noticed the Bankwest game wasn't sold out like the Shute Shield game.

Rugby league is genuine popular culture. Union is a propagated code privy to the elite private schools of Australia plus elsewhere trying to make itself a popular cultural sport. Sure union gains the local support when it is convenient and very local ( derbies in northern Sydney etc) but when it came to its Sydney grandfinal less than 10000 turn up to the very modern Bankwest stadium a few weeks ago. Given that the stadium holds a capacity of 30000, I suspect union organisers expected a bigger crowd. You mention people whom have been brought up in union schools. Perhaps these people have found out(well concealed truths)about the dodgy and shady ways the union code has operated over its tIme, especially with its treatment toward rugby league in many places around the world? Or maybe they have voted with their sporting entertainment eye and clearly see rugby-league as far more attractive? And won't settle for a sport that really should have been superceded as far as both rugbys are concerned? To put it bluntly rugby league is sexy and union is an outdated toad trying to.be sexy!

Last edited:

Dark Corner

Juniors
Rugby league is genuine popular culture. Union is a propagated code privy to the elite private schools of Australia plus elsewhere trying to make itself a popular cultural sport. Sure union gains the local support when it is convenient and very local ( derbies in northern Sydney etc) but when it came to its Sydney grandfinal less than 10000 turn up to the very modern Bankwest stadium a few weeks ago. Given that the stadium holds a capacity of 30000, I suspect union organisers expected a bigger crowd. You mention people whom have been brought up in union schools. Perhaps these people have found out(well concealed truths)about the dodgy and shady ways the union code has operated over its tIme, especially with its treatment toward rugby league in many places around the world? Or maybe they have voted with their sporting entertainment eye and clearly see rugby-league as far more attractive? And won't settle for a sport that really should have been superceded as far as both rugbys are concerned? To put it bluntly rugby league is sexy and union is an outdated toad trying to.be sexy!
Shute Shield masters got too cocky having the final at Wankbest and should of kept it over the bridge the daft bastards so despite Union being the upper and middle class game the lot who run the game in Australia are quite dim.