What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

taipan

Referee
Fitzroy and South Melbourne did. I don't really know the circumstances behind those but It seems that if the AFL wants to do something it just does it, it doesn't go back and forth over and over again and care as much about public backlash, they just do it, through money at it, cop the backlash, and then wait for it to all work out. It wouldn't overly surprise me if North Melbourne were sent packing to Tasmania any time soon.

Unfortunately the NRL for whatever reason doesn't have the money to throw at things to get what they want. Actually I don't think the NRL even knows what it wants anyway.

That's the past mate.
Fittzroy and South Melbourne were in much worse position than Sydney clubs like the Sharks/Manly who are getting their sh*t together.

They also tried it on Hawthorn and some other club to merge.It was shot down.

Well they(AFL) stuffed up on the Goode's issue,Gil said it's OK for individual clubs to make payments to claimants for allegations of assault if that is acceptable,their judiciary is a joke with that GWS thug Greene only getting a fine for eye gouging, and they still don't know what to do with Tasmania who want a team.
They have been accused also by many AFL club execs of pushing GWS to the detriment of the other clubs.
ASADA mgr stated the AFL were far less professional than the NRL when the drugs issue came up.I'll give David Smith a rap, he was up front with ASADA ,with the Sharks, there was no stalling, no putting roadblocks.The AFL bumbled along with Essendon,it was embarrassing.

They also have never had to put up with a SL war which cleaned out all the funds the ARL had ATT(which was set to be $25m in 1995).They don't help fund teams like Tonga and run loss making Internationals.

On Friday the ARLC according to The Australian will be meeting with club execs to announce a better than expected profit from $25 to $32m.They made $40 odd million last year.

They certainly don't have the money that AFL does, and if the SL war hadn't started they may well have been matching them, and I'm not denying bad management from NRL clubs over the years either.

The AFL have been throwing money around like confetti, to the Northern clubs and some of them have been losing money hand over foot, as the Swans did for many years until the SL war helped them along.

The AFL are no doubt a big sporting organisation who could teach other codes many things, but with the examples I gave and there are others ,they make their share of blunders.

Stallion

First Grade
Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that within this century RL in Australia will degrade into a minor sport that is a shadow of what it once was.

With the extreme homogenisation of western culture (i.e. American cultural imperialism and Anglophilia) seemingly unending, and the NRL seemingly incapable of preparing for the future, most of this generations kids and all their grand kids will be playing basketball and soccer and watching the Premier League, NBA, NFL, UFC, etc.

Guarantee Vlandy's will promote additional expansion clubs without imploding the competition in its biggest populated (and most recognizable & enduring) market : The Illawarra, Sydney and to the Central Coast. Funnily enough the dilution advocates ignore the fact that Sydney's population will be 5.6million by 2030. This plus the surrounding regions means a massive population for existing clubs to cater for. And some still want to whiteant this integral part of the competition? Amazing!

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Hahhahahaha (you literally made me laugh) this guy had a massive meltdown in the warriors forum for coming second in a prediction competition

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...re-will-we-finish-in-2019-all-welcome.473978/
At the start of the year I picked where the Warriors would be at the end of round 6, round 12 and round 18. Nobody else did that and these picks were made BEFORE the season even started. The guy who won it, just closely picked where we finished up. How is that fair?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Child, I don’t got time to put up with your childish crap I have work in the morning
Anyway, I correctly predicted rounds 6, round 12 and round 18. The guy who won never correctly predicted any of those rounds, he was just the closest to where the Warriors ended up. I could've came last. Do you finally understand how stupid of a comp it was? Only a grown man would get it.

Diesel

Referee
Thats why I said the majority, not all. They have 4 heartland clubs struggling and needing bigger payouts but 10 that are funded significantly less than the expansion clubs.

Heres a list of the centralised money payments, as you can see the heartland clubs are the ones who need the least money generally allowing the AFL to invest in expansion and propping up the few failing heartland clubs. Problem we have is that most of our heartland clubs are just as financially troubled as the expansion ones! In many cases even more so.

AFL club grants

Heartland clubs ($mill)
West Coast 10.9
Collingwood 10.8
Hawthorn 11.1
Essendon 11.6
Freo 11.4
Geelong 11.4
Adelaide Crows 11.6
Richmond 12
Carlton 12.7
Port Adelaide 14.7
Melbourne 15.6
Nth Melb 15.9
West Bulldogs 16.3
St Kilda 19.1

Expansion Clubs
Sydney 13.1
Brisbane 22.3
GWS 22.7
Gold Coast 22.8
Do those grants/handouts include the salary cap like the $13m the NRL gives to each of their clubs? And if so, what is the AFL salary cap

greenBV4

Bench
Do those grants/handouts include the salary cap like the $13m the NRL gives to each of their clubs? And if so, what is the AFL salary cap
from wikipedia

"The salary cap, known officially as Total Player Payments, is A$12,760,000 for the 2019 season with a salary floor of $12,122,000."

also

"Certain payments are excluded from the cap, and concessions are available for some players, in particular "veteran" players (those who have completed 10 seasons with their current club) who are discounted by 50% for purposes of the cap, depending on the number of these players at each club."

and

"The AFL salary cap is occasionally controversial, as it is a soft salary cap and therefore can sometimes be slightly different for each club. Clubs in poor financial circumstances (e.g. the Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Melbourne) have not always used their full cap, in some circumstances not even reaching the salary floor, to ensure they reduce costs. The AFL has also used the cap to pursue its policy of supporting clubs in non-traditional markets such as Sydney and Brisbane."

So it's a fairly different cap than ours, and I had heard that about the cap being manipulated for expansion sides, I think Ive heard before that players playing away from Victoria get "cost of living" or "lifestyle change" payments or something

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not what Greenberg stated.He stated Sydney suburban grounds are important and relocation is not on the agenda.He hasn't stated less Sydney clubs ,it was ch9 who stirred the pot.

Who knows what Greenberg thinks? I don’t think he knows!

March 2019
“We need to play in more areas. The more areas you play in, the more times you expose new people to the game, the more the game is going to grow.
“Whether it be expansion, or it could mean are we prepared to look at the geography and footprint of the sport?
And if it is the same number of 16, are they going to be in different parts of the country? I think to extract more value, they're going to have to be."
https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...ion-cronulla-sharks/ynl7frojxm8a1phf93o73ubz5

6 months later
But the thought of losing a team from Sydney hasn't even been entertained.
"We've got zero appetite to kick any teams out of our competition. We're looking at the footprint at the moment," Greenberg said on Monday.
"What that work will tell us will come down to us at the end of the year, but there is no appetite to take any club out of our 16 teams at the moment."
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-bo...location/0e192abe-6eb7-488f-9fcb-2cfd0148b711

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yes these figures are the equivalent of the nrl’s $13mill grant.
AFL salary cap is around $13mill for this year.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

March 2019
“We need to play in more areas. The more areas you play in, the more times you expose new people to the game, the more the game is going to grow.
“Whether it be expansion, or it could mean are we prepared to look at the geography and footprint of the sport?
And if it is the same number of 16, are they going to be in different parts of the country? I think to extract more value, they're going to have to be."
https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...ion-cronulla-sharks/ynl7frojxm8a1phf93o73ubz5

6 months later
"We've got zero appetite to kick any teams out of our competition. We're looking at the footprint at the moment," Greenberg said on Monday.
"What that work will tell us will come down to us at the end of the year, but there is no appetite to take any club out of our 16 teams at the moment."
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-bo...location/0e192abe-6eb7-488f-9fcb-2cfd0148b711
To be fair, the second comment doesn't necessarily contradict the first entirely. Greenberg said in the second one that "The thought of losing a Sydney team hasn't been entertained" and that "There is zero appetite to kick any teams out of our competition". This doesn't necessarily mean that a club won't relocate. It just means the NRL won't force anyone to do it. It still means that if a team were in financial hardship they could pose that the team relocates if they want financial assistance from the NRL. This way the NRL saves face and gets what they want. It just means the NRL is happy to wait the clubs out until someone does need a hand out.

As far as the first comment goes, we have been playing in more areas and exposing new people to the game. We had a SOO in Perth, more regular season games will be taken interstate in the the coming season, the SOO is set for Adelaide next year, games have been pushed out to regional areas. If anything it's more political spin. The NRL would rather have clubs move a game to Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Wellington, etc where they could possibly get 20k+ in attendance over keeping it local and only just cracking 10K. If there's one thing teflon Todd is good at, it's deflecting questions with vague answers.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Guarantee Vlandy's will promote additional expansion clubs without imploding the competition in its biggest populated (and most recognizable & enduring) market : The Illawarra, Sydney and to the Central Coast. Funnily enough the dilution advocates ignore the fact that Sydney's population will be 5.6million by 2030. This plus the surrounding regions means a massive population for existing clubs to cater for. And some still want to whiteant this integral part of the competition? Amazing!

Population doesn't necessarily equal demand for a product.

Stallion

First Grade
Population doesn't necessarily equal demand for a product.

Lol . A prudent and proactive businessman / organisation would think otherwise. Like we have stated repeatedly : rugby-league is an attractive enough code of football to attract all walks of life or demographic. You don't think so? Others do!

taipan

Referee

March 2019

6 months later

What I've learnt over sucking oxygen in Sydney all my life's at times journalists tend to at times not report verbatim,but either edit or make something more dramatic than it is.Remember agendas and teh media go hand in hand.

From what I have been reading and listening to Greenberg over the years.Again with caution.
He wants to spread the game as does Beattie.,that has been AFAIK an ongoing thing.

As to the matter of chopping or not chopping Sydney clubs, that has been a thorny issue for a long time.Especially when clubs like the Sharks had financial issues, as did clubs like the Dragons and even the Tigers part of West Tigers.And when Manly were struggling to get above 10,000.

I have no doubt either one or two influential powerful Sydney clubs (no names) were lobbying to reduce the number of Sydney clubs ,as they would not be involved and would benefit long term.

It doesn't take a genius to know, the AFL has pushed into Western Sydney, and no doubt the A League will want a 4th Sydney club, that any NRL club moved or flicked will create a vacuum for
other codes to benefit.Fans of the flicked clubs ,will not follow other Sydney clubs period.It happened when Souths went, ditto Norths.

It doesn't take a genius to know the effect the SL war had with fans ATT,and no doubt the Reds getting flicked also.
Greenberg et al who is supposedly doing some project of where the code is now, where it should be for the Commission ,and anyone doing such research ,would have noted the impact of club removal and the after effects. More so when you now have a cashed up competitor and a lesser one lurking around.

Sydney I repeat nauseously is the commercial heart of Australia ,it's population is expected to increase by 1.3m in the next 10 years.That's like adding another Adelaide or half a Brisbane ,or 2 Tasmanias or half a Perth.
And one wants to cut back on teams in the city ,where still rugby league is the no 1 winter-code,in the end to the benefit of your major competitors.
Even the AFL despite their complete dominance in Melbourne ,would be unprepared to remove a club, unless that club was in dire straights.Yet they can still expand ,and so should we.