What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

Stallion

First Grade
How do you know"? Accurate ratings are a relatively new thing.

Sydney ratings may not be that good per capita, but there way better than anything else we have going for us.

And every Sydney Team we Cut means less advertising opportunities for the network, less money for the NRL and less chance of expansion .

Regional ratings are worth a lot less.

And what's also missing in Perth Red's comment is the tv ratings did not go up yet the population increased!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Adelaide will tell you that....they aren't screaming out for a RL club.

Rams averaged 15,330 in 97, their highest attended game got 27,435.

Before you say it, yeah their numbers tanked in 98, but everybody's numbers tanked in 98, it's just the nature of the times. But on top of that it isn't surprising at all in their case given that everybody and their dog knew that they were going to be sacrificed for a Sydney club's survival. It's very hard to get people to buy into supporting your team when they know that your team almost certainly isn't going to be around a year later.

On top of that this years Easts vs Melbourne game got 16,297, and next years SOO will almost certainly sellout.

So for a place where there's supposedly no market, Adelaide moves quite a few tickets. . . A lot of clubs would be very envious of their numbers, especially if you are comparing the numbers from 97.

Stallion

First Grade
Rams averaged 15,330 in 97, their highest attended game got 27,435.

Before you say it, yeah their numbers tanked in 98, but everybody's numbers tanked in 98, it's just the nature of the times. But on top of that it isn't surprising at all in their case given that everybody and their dog knew that they were going to be sacrificed for a Sydney club's survival. It's very hard to get people to buy into supporting your team when they know that your team almost certainly isn't going to be around a year later.

On top of that this years Easts vs Melbourne game got 16,297, and next years SOO will almost certainly sellout.

So for a place where there's supposedly no market, Adelaide moves quite a few tickets. . . A lot of clubs would be very envious of their numbers, especially if you are comparing the numbers from 97.

How dare you suggest the Rams were sacrificed for a Sydney clubs survival. The Sydney competition as we knew it was mutilated! You still don't get it. The "agreement" 'negotiated' was hopeless and inadequate. To go from 22 clubs to 14 was deliberate sabotage of this envied competition. You still don't see this ?! Thankfully others do!

tri_colours

Juniors
Proper TV ratings started in 1991 with Neilsen with the introduction of people meters.

The reverse thinking of that is that a truly national competition is more attractive to advertisers and sponsors, hence why AFL does better in its corporate deals and media deals than our Sydney focused sport.

Most Sydney tv audiences are in the 300-400k range, how many of those do you think we would lose if a team or two goes? Then how many more people in Brisbane might tune in (given they are already per person bigger viewer market) plus how many new viewers in Perth if the game was ever given the respect it was due by the FTA partner?

Of course its all hypothetical as there really is no data to back up either argument.

There is a reason the AFL burn millions each year trying to establish strong holds in Sydney and Brisbane, while paying scant attention to Tasmania, who are screaming out for a team.

Advertiser will pay a lot more for an add/sponsorship to somewhere that has a guaranteed audience of a quarter of a million rather than somewhere like the Storm and there 25 thousand viewers in Melbourne, for a club game.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
How dare you suggest the Rams were sacrificed for a Sydney clubs survival. The Sydney competition as we knew it was mutilated! You still don't get it. The "agreement" 'negotiated' was hopeless and inadequate. To go from 22 clubs to 14 was deliberate sabotage of this envied competition. You still don't see this ?! Thankfully others do!

As a result of the SL war seven clubs were folded, two from Sydney and five from outside of Sydney, and after a couple of years one of the two from Sydney were let back in and the other is still in opperation. . . So tell me again who got "mutilated", because it wasn't f**king Sydney.

Oh and BTW, you calling it "the Sydney competition" is the problem. It's the same f**king problem we've faced since 1982!

Stallion

First Grade
As a result of the SL war seven clubs were folded, two from Sydney and five from outside of Sydney, and after a couple of years one of the two from Sydney were let back in and the other is still in opperation. . . So tell me again who got "mutilated", because it wasn't f**king Sydney.

Oh and BTW, you calling it "the Sydney competition" is the problem. It's the same f**king problem we've faced since 1982!

So you think North Sydney Bears, West Suburbs Magpies and Balmain Tigers along with St George Illawarra (although Illawarra is another region closeby) are not impacted by the superleague farce? You have already mentioned the biggest mistake South Sydney ( which had to be reintroduced due to public outcry) and desperate business acumen. You are truelly a piece of ignorant and disrespectful work.
BTW. The NRL has and is originated from the Sydney rugby league competition. I use 'Sydney' (which should be Sydney ,Illawarra and the Central Coast) as a shortened term . Your angst against 'Sydney' shows a consistent disrespect that dominate your comments. Grow up. Understand things like history, generational support/ familiarity , population numbers and most all RESPECT!

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
So you think North Sydney Bears, West Suburbs Magpies and Balmain Tigers along with St George Illawarra (although Illawarra is another region closeby) are not impacted by the superleague farce?
They were definitely effected by the war, never said that they weren't, but hey they're all still around to this day (with the exception of the Steelers, so I guess that's eight clubs that were killed so Sydney clubs could survive), the same cannot be said about the teams from outside of Sydney.
You have already mentioned the biggest mistake South Sydney ( which had to be reintroduced due to public outcry) and desperate business acumen.
They weren't let back into the comp because of public outcry, they were forced back in because of a dodgy decision in court that was quickly overturned on appeal, and frankly if they had been ejected from the comp once the decision was overturned then the league as a whole would be a lot better off.

That's not a slight on them or their fans, it just is what it is.
You are truelly a piece of ignorant and disrespectful work.
BTW. The NRL has and is originated from the Sydney rugby league competition. I use 'Sydney' (which should be Sydney ,Illawarra and the Central Coast) as a shortened term .
The N in NRL stands for national, the Sydney competition that it grew out of has been consigned to the history books.

If only entitled pricks like yourself would let the Sydney comp stay in the history books where it belongs we could all move on to bigger and better things, like a national competition for instance.
Your angst against 'Sydney' shows a consistent disrespect that dominate your comments. Grow up. Understand things like history, generational support/ familiarity , population numbers and most all RESPECT!

What I have is a deep disgust of people like you, that for your own selfish reasons would stunt the sport's growth (to the point that you're probably going to kill it) because it's not convenient for your frigging suburban club, not "angst" against Sydney.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
They were definitely effected by the war, never said that they weren't, but hey they're all still around to this day (with the exception of the Steelers, so I guess that's eight clubs that were killed so Sydney clubs could survive), the same cannot be said about the teams from outside of Sydney.

They weren't let back into the comp because of public outcry, they were forced back in because of a dodgy decision in court that was quickly overturned on appeal, and frankly if they had been ejected from the comp once the decision was overturned then the league as a whole would be a lot better off.

The N in NRL stands for national, the Sydney competition that it grew out of has been consigned to the history books.

If only entitled pricks like yourself would let the Sydney comp stay in the history books where it belongs we could all move on to bigger and better things, like a national competition for instance.

What I have is a deep disgust of people like you, that for your own selfish reasons would stunt the sport's growth (to the point that you're probably going to kill it) because it's not convenient for your frigging suburban club, not "angst" against Sydney.
Good luck expecting a rational response to your logical thoughts.

27EELS

Juniors
The Media Teams have been Ruining the game since their inception and they will continue to do so until nobody wants to watch Footy anymore. Been watching the decline for a long time now and I hardly ever watch it anymore.

I miss it a bit but who wants to watch the same bloody teams dominate year after year ??? Even with a Supposed Salary Cap ? They don’t want to look at forward passes with the video ref because that is one avenue the officials can exploit for the Big Teams. How do U think the Broncos got to Finals lol

Money and greed ruin everything !!!

27EELS

Juniors
Don’t need to get rid of Sydney teams, Add more Brisbane teams FFS !!! How can U not see that ??? Bias Blind lol
I am a Queenslander and it has sucked for over 30 years because U put 1 Team here ? I don’t support them because I am loyal to my Team and i’ll Never change no matter how much they hurt me lol

Imagine having to go to work all those years in Queensland when U support a Sydney Team ? It sucked !!!

I wouldn’t support the Broncos anyway I prefer the other 2 Teams here rather than them and there should be more than one team in Brisbane ... 3 at the very least !!!

Stallion

First Grade

Nope. They are not still around in their unique and original form. Those clubs have been forced to lose their distinct identity and merge or lose their support altogether. If you think that was a good outcome you are truelly delusional! For instance a WONDERFUL ICONIC CLUB NAME "Balmain" was lost as part of a merger deal . The Bears were completely shafted and now a void exists in northern Sydney! West Magpies fans have had to comply in a merger whereby their popular emblem (magpie ) is now insignificant . The might of the St George Dragons had to merge with the Illawarra. And the Illawarra became 2nd fiddle to the St George part of the forced merger. THE DISGRACE OF THE LOT WAS OUSTING South Sydney Rabbitohs!(And you still believe that overwhelming people power-protests in Sydney's CBD didn't happen! ?-AMAZING IGNORANCE!) From 22 top flight clubs in 1997 to 14! You have got be kidding. It was an outright attack on the most popular rugby domestic competition on earth. And we have pelicans like you ignoring the damage and the massive mistake that was made! You are a union flog out to destroy rugby league’s flagship competition! Hate the good guys as much as you like. You have been spotted. Cop it sweet Rah Rah boy!

Last edited:

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Nope. They are not still around in their unique and original form. Those clubs have been forced to lose their distinct identity and merge or lose their support altogether. If you think that was a good outcome you are truelly delusional! For instance a WONDERFUL ICONIC CLUB NAMES IN Balmain was list as part of a merger deal . The Bears were completely shafted and now a void exists in northern Sydney! West Magpies fans have had to comply in a merger whereby their popular emblem (magpie ) is now insignificant . The might ofind the St George Dragons had to merge with the Illawarra. And the Illawarra became 2nd fiddle to the St George part of the forced merger. THE DISGRACE OF THE LOT WAS OUSTING South Sydney Rabbitohs! From 22 top flight clubs in 1997 to 14! You have got be kidding. It was an outright attack on the most popular rugby domestic competition on earth. And we have pelicans like you ignoring the damage and the massive mistake that was made!
Give it a rest. That was absolute drivel.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d drop manly and create a new club repressing the whole of the north Sydney, north shore area. That’d be a good start to sorting out the underperforming Sydney market. At the moment most clubs only have around 15k committed fans, we need to double that. Decent stadiums and large catchments are only way to do it.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
I’d drop manly and create a new club repressing the whole of the north Sydney, north shore area. That’d be a good start to sorting out the underperforming Sydney market. At the moment most clubs only have around 15k committed fans, we need to double that. Decent stadiums and large catchments are only way to do it.
This is what manly should be doing themselves. The club has no vision.

Stallion

First Grade

Nope. What you did have is a massive disrespect for established and widely respected clubs that happen to be based in Sydney.

Yeah. Right. Click the fingers stuff and it works . Nope the code requires two clubs north of the Harbour bridge. Namely Manly Warringah & Central Coast Bears. That's the solution. But you whiteanting types don't get history, territorial rivalry and fan familiarity. It all figures in the supporter base mix. The rivalry is still alive between the Bears and Sea Eagles. Just needs a smart relocation of the Bears to the Central Coast. A win win for sure! Instead we have people whom advocate losing all the generational support of years gone by for a "click the fingers" idea that would be disastrous for this competition and code.

Last edited:

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Nope. What you did have is a massive disrespect for established and widely respected clubs that happen to be based in Sydney.

Yeah. Right. Click the fingers stuff and it works . Nope the code requires two clubs north of the Harbour bridge. Namely Manly Warringah & Central Coast Bears. That's the solution. But you whiteanting types don't get history, territorial isn't and fan familiarity. It all figures in the supporter base mix. They rivalry is still alive between the Bears and Sea Eagles. Just needs a smart relocation of the Bears to the Central Coast. A win win for sure! Instead we have people whom advocate losing all the generational support of years gone by for a "click the fingers" idea that would be disastrous for this competition and code.
The broken record goes on and on. No facts or evidence to support anything you say. Just emotive drivel.

27EELS

Juniors
Lmfao How’s these Clowns ? Love their Media Teams and they killed all those teams to make Melbourne ? Lol and Mate U Wanna make loooove to those Teams hahaha and U got ur Groupie Bojackhiorseman agreeing with everything U say ???

The only Dribble on here is coming from U pair and a few others and how legit is this Forum anyway ? Looks and seems fake ? It Has a SongPop feel about it :smirk: lolz

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Lmfao How’s these Clowns ? Love their Media Teams and they killed all those teams to make Melbourne ? Lol and Mate U Wanna make loooove to those Teams hahaha and U got ur Groupie Bojackhiorseman agreeing with everything U say ???

The only Dribble on here is coming from U pair and a few others and how legit is this Forum anyway ? Looks and seems fake ? It Has a SongPop feel about it :smirk: lolz
Solid

Latest posts