What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

tri_colours

Juniors
NRL in rude health!\

Profits up as NRL reaps reward from crackdown on behaviour

Australian Rugby League Commission chair Peter Beattie. Picture: Getty Images
  • Brent Read
The ARL Commission’s decision to bring in the no-fault stand-down rule has received further vindication after it emerged the code is in rude financial health as it prepares for the finals series.

It is understood the commission will share financial results with club bosses at a meeting on Thursday that show the game is on track to record a profit of more than $32 million this season — significantly up on the $25m that was originally in the budget. The most significant increase was in game receipts, most likely due to the success of this year’s State of Origin series.

The game also retains net assets worth more than $100m, although the funding deal that means each club receives more than $13m from the central body on a yearly basis prevents the game building up a bigger surplus. Regardless, the financial results thus far have been promising and they could escalate significantly over the course of the finals series should foundation clubs like South Sydney and the Sydney Roosters enjoy success. Parramatta and Brisbane would also be good results for the game’s bottom line.

The encouraging financial results come after the commission and chair Peter Beattie put their reputations on the line by pushing for the no-fault stand-down rule to deal with players who commit serious criminal offences.

St George Illawarra and NSW forward Jack de Belin took the game all the way to the federal court as he looked to have the rule overturned, only to settle the case with the NRL and ARL Commission on the day it was due to begin before the full Federal Court.

The commission felt it had no choice but to act after the so-called “summer of hell”, when a spate of bad behaviour caused untold damage to the code’s image off the field.

There were fears the game’s bottom line could be irreparably damaged as a result, although Beattie’s decision to force through change no doubt ensured the game saved millions it could have lost in sponsorship.

If not for court costs, the game could have been even better-placed financially. The excess profit will also be good news for the players, given any money above projected figures is to be put in a ledger and shared equally between the players, head office, grassroots and the clubs at the end of the existing broadcasting cycle.

That ledger is already well stocked after the game enjoyed a successful year in 2018. Another financial windfall appears on the way in 2019 if the results to date are anything to go by.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/7cd7cc34cc8b1591fdfe258b2cafd80a

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perhaps being half on what Smith was getting has something to do with it.
I'm sure Greenberg was helped by the performances of the Broncos,Dragons,Panthers ,Cowboys and Titans.But of course we know when teams are crap, people flock to them in droves at the stadiums and on TV.
Plus Greenberg was helped by that professional ,entertaining ch9 commentary team of brilliant TV people.
Did Perth help with any of the Tv ratings? You know the city that is craving for an NRL team.And of course Melbourne .Just a thought.

Yeh the NRL's failure to attract fans is Perth and Melbourne's fault lol. I guess that must mean the profit success is also Perth's doing given it was due to high Origin revenue :)

Last edited:

j5o6hn

Juniors
You can lead a donkey to water but you cant make it think the rest of it on who is the donkey I will leave up to you

taipan

Referee
Yeh the NRL's failure to attract fans is Perth and Melbourne's fault lol. I guess that must mean the profit success is also Perth's doing given it was due to high Origin revenue :)

You cannot detect sarcasm through your veil of bitterness :rolleyes:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You cannot detect sarcasm through your veil of bitterness :rolleyes:

So thats what this was? Sounded like a load of poor excuses to me.

Perhaps being half on what Smith was getting has something to do with it.
I'm sure Greenberg was helped by the performances of the Broncos,Dragons,Panthers ,Cowboys and Titans.But of course we know when teams are crap, people flock to them in droves at the stadiums and on TV.
Plus Greenberg was helped by that professional ,entertaining ch9 commentary team of brilliant TV people.
Did Perth help with any of the Tv ratings? You know the city that is craving for an NRL team.And of course Melbourne .Just a thought.

taipan

Referee
So thats what this was? Sounded like a load of poor excuses to me.

Take it any way you wish.Always at least two sides to any debate.

And ignoring some salient points , just to project the other positives for AFL, does indicate a predilection for said code.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take it any way you wish.Always at least two sides to any debate.

And ignoring some salient points , just to project the other positives for AFL, does indicate a predilection for said code.

I'm sorry where have I mentioned AFL in this thread? You seem somewhat obsessed by the other code yourself.

taipan

Referee
I'm sorry where have I mentioned AFL in this thread? You seem somewhat obsessed by the other code yourself.

I'm so used to you giving that code a rap on many threads , it becomes very confusing .This then, is somewhat of a first for you.

Correction, if I were obsessed about the AFL it would certainly not be creaming myself at their very mention.I don't remember me pushing the AFL barrow, they have their issues we have ours.
No code in this country can claim perfection nor the perpetual high moral ground.

Usually anything involving Beattie you are the first to throw the first spear.Trouble is in rugby league we spend too much time looking for negatives and when any positive jumps outfit's more good luck than good management.
IMO Beattie deserves kudos for the " no fault stand down rule".

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I'm so used to you giving that code a rap on many threads , it becomes very confusing .This is somewhat of a first for you.

Correction, if I were obsessed about the AFL it would certainly not be creaming myself at their very mention.
No code in this country can claim perfection nor the perpetual high moral ground.

Rugby league can ! It's tougher , harder and better to watch than all others ! That's higher moral ground as far as sporting aesthetics for Aussies in my books!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm so used to you giving that code a rap on many threads , it becomes very confusing .This is somewhat of a first for you.

Correction, if I were obsessed about the AFL it would certainly not be creaming myself at their very mention.

You're not doing very well today lol.

taipan

Referee
You're not doing very well today lol.

One thing I've learned in life PR ,admit you get things wrong or misread on occasions, and not spend your every waking hour looking for negatives in life or your sport as if positives are non existent.

Something perhaps you can take on board.If your ego allows of course LOL.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Nrl ratings last night were poor. Under a million all up for a final. The cricket is an excuse but the afl got just short of 1.5 million.

taipan

Referee
Nrl ratings last night were poor. Under a million all up for a final. The cricket is an excuse but the afl got just short of 1.5 million.

What was Fox's TV ratings?
I'm also more than convinced streaming is making a big impact, surely fans aren't turning off in these numbers because of ch9 ordinary commentary team.Then again maybe they are.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
What was Fox's TV ratings?
I'm also more than convinced streaming is making a big impact, surely fans aren't turning off in these numbers because of ch9 ordinary commentary team.Then again maybe they are.
They are on media weeks twitter feed. Our game had 400000 less on fta and 100000 less on fox. Streaming won’t make up the difference

taipan

Referee
They are on media weeks twitter feed. Our game had 400000 less on fta and 100000 less on fox. Streaming won’t make up the difference

That is tres ordinaire.Going to make it hard for the next Tv deal ,if things don't jump back up next year.
Seriously the ramblings on ch9 last night during the game, by Gould about the history of some players a turn off.The coverage is just so friggin dour and stale.
I'm also wondering whether the offseason from hell, has played a continuing part.Seems more than a coincidence.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
That is tres ordinaire.Going to make it hard for the next Tv deal ,if things don't jump back up next year.
Seriously the ramblings on ch9 last night during the game, by Gould about the history of some players a turn off.The coverage is just so friggin dour and stale.
I'm also wondering whether the offseason from hell, has played a continuing part.Seems more than a coincidence.
Cricket got a million viewers. That would have had a big impact on our ratings. Next week will tell the real story.