What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

mickeylane

Bench
i think they will announce Flanno..thats my hunch ...the board is getting pumped big time and need to make some sort of move to appease the scavengers (us)..

By appointing Flanno it ads some much-needed starch to the coaching ranks - i think they then will round it off w a Football Director to baby sit the whole transition and the potential power struggle between Mcgregor and Flanno...I think Flanno will coach the team Mond-Friday and Mcgregor will manage game day and interviews.....only way it could work....

Dragon David

First Grade
i think they will announce Flanno..thats my hunch ...the board is getting pumped big time and need to make some sort of move to appease the scavengers (us)..

By appointing Flanno it ads some much-needed starch to the coaching ranks - i think they then will round it off w a Football Director to baby sit the whole transition and the potential power struggle between Mcgregor and Flanno...I think Flanno will coach the team Mond-Friday and Mcgregor will manage game day and interviews.....only way it could work....
You could be on the money Mickey with what you say!

nontime111

Juniors
well Im with him here, the Flanno having full run of the team Mon to Fri would really catapult us upwards for a start, its something very positive if true, nice idea Mick even if not on the money!

saints4ever

First Grade
It absolutely will not happen.
Flanno has been caught twice by the NRL in doing dodgy shit, and desperately trying to be seen on the straight and narrow .
IF he's signed, he will be following Mary's legendary and proven 3 hit ups, two passes off the ruck, kick or 3 hit ups, inside ball, kick game plan.
He'll say little. He'll do what he's told, and when Mcf**kwit throws him under the bus we'll be talking about the same thing

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree , he will keep on the straight and narrow for 2020 and keep his nose clean , however I do believe that after next season his 2 year penalty will be decreased to only 1 year .

I realize that it may only be wishful thinking at this point in time, however I also believe that the NRL are waiting to see if the man can indeed be trusted and if so reduce his banishment by 1 season . He will toe the line for next year probably already aware of this - imo .

Last edited:
Having Flanno as your assistant coach will bring a lot of scrutiny to the club. A lot.
There are only two clubs in the NRL that are never put under the microscope, Roosters and the Storm. Flanno has ties at both. It wouldn't surprise me if he was sitting next to Robinson or Bellamy next year, with the Roosters more likely as he can stay in Sydney and with his junior. They have a vacant spot open too.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Having Flanno as your assistant coach will bring a lot of scrutiny to the club. A lot.
There are only two clubs in the NRL that are never put under the microscope, Roosters and the Storm. Flanno has ties at both. It wouldn't surprise me if he was sitting next to Robinson or Bellamy next year, with the Roosters more likely as he can stay in Sydney and with his junior. They have a vacant spot open too.

This makes much more sense. There is no way Flanno could come to our club. As soon as we won a game the spotlight would be well and truly on him. He doesn't want that.

SaintPauli

Juniors
This makes much more sense. There is no way Flanno could come to our club. As soon as we won a game the spotlight would be well and truly on him. He doesn't want that.
Flanno and Robbo are both very head strong characters. I can see them clashing more often than not. This would actually please me if it unsettled the roarters.

BLM01

First Grade

Flanno will be a Saint.
Gus will be a Saint....at least part time anyway
Take it for what it is or read into it anyway you want
This is the start of change needed and I am happy about it
Those blokes will make change to the whole football op
Gus's review said it all
Everyone forgets the most alarming and embarassing thing he said bluntly is
What is and identify your culture! You need to establish what it is?
As a Vice President of a CRL rugby league club to be told you have no culture is one thing you dont want to hear.
And all GUS could say publicly after the review when asked.
They are a bunch of good blokes in there!
That tells me more abouit its operations than not!
They are trying hard but have no leadership or direction or football ops nous!

Shame on those who have let it get to the basket case it is in since 2010.
They wont give Mary the luxury of paying him out or apologise publicly for stuffing up
If all comes to fruition it wont matter what Mary's title is...his days will be numbered in the big chair.
i can only hope the board sanction the proposed changes and have the balls to follow through but nothing will surprise me
It is not ideal and what we want ATM but a step I believe in the right direction...with plenty more to take,
I am looking at 2020 more positively if happens..that is for sure..more than I was a month ago.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Flanno will be a Saint.
Gus's review said it all
As a Vice President of a CRL rugby league club to be told you have no culture is one thing you dont want to hear.

They wont give Mary the luxury of paying him out or apologise publicly for stuffing up
If all comes to fruition it wont matter what Mary's title is...his days will be numbered in the big chair.
i can only hope the board sanction the proposed changes and have the balls to follow through but nothing will surprise me
It is not ideal and what we want ATM but a step I believe in the right direction...with plenty more to take,
I am looking at 2020 more positively if happens..that is for sure..more than I was a month ago.

I concur.

boardlumps62

Juniors
well Im with him here, the Flanno having full run of the team Mon to Fri would really catapult us upwards for a start, its something very positive if true, nice idea Mick even if not on the money!
How does that work Flanno teaches them some tricks during the week like run with the wind in first half and build a lead then Mary tells them on Saturday to run the other direction. Might work if the draw has us playing Thursday nights lol.

Gareth67

First Grade
Flanno will be a Saint.
Gus's review said it all

A step in the right direction, no doubting that and an answer to our prayers. I would like change that much that I would sacrifice the new season to get it , a shameful thing to say I know , but I am looking at the long term future of the Dragons and it will be painful, but in the end the cancer will finally be cut out for good .

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
Lots of moving parts in this ghost shadow Coach and Dir of Football idea.
Rugby League is a simple game, I see this Mary > Flanno > Gus + Assistants as adding complexity and risks of cross wires and confusion on the field. Only the Dragons can design this matrix of confusion..
Sorry guys I’m not buying this.

BLM01

First Grade
Lots of moving parts in this ghost shadow Coach and Dir of Football idea.
Rugby League is a simple game, I see this Mary > Flanno > Gus + Assistants as adding complexity and risks of cross wires and confusion on the field. Only the Dragons can design this matrix of confusion..
Sorry guys I’m not buying this.
Give it time FT...give it time. You can take out some of those names in the cross wires and things will be come clearer. And i would say to Mary...sit over there...watch & learn and that also goes to what he does in prep for a new season not only what he does from November on field in training.

Dragon David

First Grade
Give it time FT...give it time. You can take out some of those names in the cross wires and things will be come clearer. And i would say to Mary...sit over there...watch & learn and that also goes to what he does in prep for a new season not only what he does from November on field in training.
I guess you take the negatives and throw in some positives to try and balance the equation. There are a lot of negatives at the moment and the scales are down on the N side.
I know we have heard jack shit from the club as to what is happening with the overall direction they are aiming towards upwards.
Hardly a word from anyone of importance to appease the masses of downhearted followers but hopefully to bring the scale on the P side upwards, we will hear from someone like the CEO (who has gone totally missing in action) in a few weeks time - only hoping.
At least Peter Doust gave interviews to John Stanley - remember that? and we had a thread of Oust Doust going for a long time. That's what is needed again to get Brian Johnstone out of the comfort of his office and face the throng. Like "AWAY BJ".

hazzbeen

Bench
Give Mary the responsibility of getting the players to the ground on game days ànd training. Give him a title like "Logistics and Transport Manager" to satisfy his bloated ego and he can use the bus he throws support staff under.
Or give him a job of finding new talent to sign up ... Send him to Antarctica his first stop , then when he finishes there he can continue to go deep into Africa by then his 2 years might be up .....

Latest posts