What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

getsmarty

Immortal
Yeah I don’t know the inner workings of the club but from the outside it looks like he’s been treated pretty well, especially by Mary who has publicly backed him, and allowed him to train. If I were in his position I’d feel I owe the Saints my loyalty for life.

Not what has happened lately....certain people blaming him for our demise this season.

possm

Coach
What make's you think that JDB will want to stay ? Been thrown under the bus by certain people in our club...
Clearly the NRL did not handle this mess very well however, at SGI it was our CEO who should have stood up and make decision designed to limit the effects of this matter on our Club.

In hindsight I believe the NRL should have done a deal with De Belin:
Pay out his contract in full in return for his silence and his promise to keep away from the game until the end of legal action.

Good for De Belin because his wife and child would have security if by chance he was found guilty. Go for the NRL and SGI because both entities could get on with life without the dramas playing out in the media and the strains put on the SGI squad.

I did advocate for this soluton early on but the NRL obviously wanted to make a point and our CEO did next to nothing to try and solve the problem.

TruSaint

Referee
Why does everyone assume automatically that JDB will be jailed. There are two sides to every story and we haven’t even heard his yet. Footy players aren’t saints and pretty much every one them roots around on their missus it’s the culture. Remember the Gasnier 4 toey humans incident? No doubt if she replied Gaz, Mini and co would have been in like Flynn. What I’m saying is that if he’s genuinely innocent then wishing him a lengthy jail sentence to free up some salary cap space for us is borderline psychopathic.

You are a good poster, so take this in the right spirit.

Posts like this is why the jdb matter thread and posts are often rightly deleted.

Firstly, no one has ever hoped or wished that JDB be jailed. What many have said, and I am one, is that he should have been stepped down by the Club, on full pay and counselling, focus on his court case, and the Club move on. Mary and co. had no reason to opine on the matter, other than say " we are supporting Jack and he has the presumption of innocence". Full stop, no more.

Instead, the Club allowed him to populate the training sessions, stay in the spotlight, be referenced at nearly 50% of pressers and so on.

Comparing Gasniers incident to a "charge" of rape ? Yeah , nah mate.

Finally, if he is found guilty of ANY of the charges he wont be playing footy in the NRL. None of the charges are "minor".

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
You are a good poster, so take this in the right spirit.

Posts like this is why the jdb matter thread and posts are often rightly deleted.

Firstly, no one has ever hoped or wished that JDB be jailed. What many have said, and I am one, is that he should have been stepped down by the Club, on full pay and counselling, focus on his court case, and the Club move on. Mary and co. had no reason to opine on the matter, other than say " we are supporting Jack and he has the presumption of innocence". Full stop, no more.

Instead, the Club allowed him to populate the training sessions, stay in the spotlight, be referenced at nearly 50% of pressers and so on.

Comparing Gasniers incident to a "charge" of rape ? Yeah , nah mate.

Finally, if he is found guilty of ANY of the charges he wont be playing footy in the NRL. None of the charges are "minor".
I’m not equating what Gaz did to what Jack did, just saying that nearly all players cheat on their wives in my experience. And that although an extremely low act is a matter for him and his missus and doesn’t warrant jail time. If he’s guilty I hope they throw the book at him but if he’s innocent he deserves to be able to move on with his life. I do agree that having him around training was a distraction and it was handled poorly no doubt but in defence of the club it was unprecedented what happened, and many of the players, who are his best mates and brothers were with him that night and probably know the full story so I would imagine they would want to support their mate in this issue.

TruSaint

Referee
I’m not equating what Gaz did to what Jack did, just saying that nearly all players cheat on their wives in my experience. And that although an extremely low act is a matter for him and his missus and doesn’t warrant jail time. If he’s guilty I hope they throw the book at him but if he’s innocent he deserves to be able to move on with his life. I do agree that having him around training was a distraction and it was handled poorly no doubt but in defence of the club it was unprecedented what happened, and many of the players, who are his best mates and brothers were with him that night and probably know the full story so I would imagine they would want to support their mate in this issue.

Lets allow the justice system to work this out.

To me, its not a moral issue. What happens between partners is between them. If he's found not guilty, .. great and he can look for his own recourse. My point is that he should not be in our plans as it stands right now.

As to players supporting him, thats your guess and it may be right. I am of the belief that the squad is divided and the partners of a few players very uncomfortable. Again, thats only hearsay.

The calm one

Juniors
Are they now , well if you have plenty of rotten ones lying on the ground transport them down to Kogarah so as we unhappy fans may show our complete dissatisfaction with the head coaching honcho - I am sure that we will find a way of using them . . . :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:
Stay calm. Wrong type of plant

SEAT 1A

Bench
Also, I think Mary has shown himself not to be competent. Can this change? Is it too late to change? Has he lost the hearts and minds of too many players?

I'll have a crack Snow.

Yes, he is not competent. No he can't change. Yes, it's to late we wouldn't need the review if he could handle the football operations as a whole.

I think he lost the younger blokes due to his very conservative game plans ei, play the game as a self serving option due the team's experience however, he's now been outcoached due to no other first grade experience, look what Des's done and all the other internal goings on the general fans don't no about.

Happy days for Dragon fans.

merahputih

Juniors
I'll have a crack Snow.

Yes, he is not competent. No he can't change. Yes, it's to late we wouldn't need the review if he could handle the football operations as a whole.

I think he lost the younger blokes due to his very conservative game plans ei, play the game as a self serving option due the team's experience however, he's now been outcoached due to no other first grade experience, look what Des's done and all the other internal goings on the general fans don't no about.

Happy days for Dragon fans.
I thought something was wrong in the camp back in August, 2018 when we played the Bulldogs at Kogarah and got slaughtered 0-38 in a tribute match for the late, great Lance Thompson when we looked certainties for a top four finish and had everything to play for against a very mediocre team. Even if the JDB incident had never happened I doubt this coach has the smarts to improve things next year.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I thought something was wrong in the camp back in August, 2018 when we played the Bulldogs at Kogarah and got slaughtered 0-38 in a tribute match for the late, great Lance Thompson when we looked certainties for a top four finish and had everything to play for against a very mediocre team. Even if the JDB incident had never happened I doubt this coach has the smarts to improve things next year.

Who knows merahputih?

I'm over it now, just going to roll with the punches while Mary's still around.

TruSaint

Referee
Shane Flanagan is set to return from his coaching ban as an assistant coach with St George Illawarra.

NRL.com understands the Dragons have offered him a job as coach Paul McGregor assistant for next season as part of an overhaul of the club following a disastrous 2019 campaign.

Flanagan was deregistered by the NRL at the end of last season and was recently given the green light to return in an assistant capacity for at least the next two seasons.

St George Illawarra implemented a review, which was conducted by former Panthers supremo Phil Gould, which highlighted the need for an experienced coach alongside McGregor, who is contracted for the next two seasons but will be under pressure to deliver after the club finished 15th.

It is expected Flanagan will accept the role which was filled by Ben Hornby over the past two seasons.

The club is yet to make an official statement on Flanagan's imminent arrival.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/30...t2vM71yr9uJHSThhc6Ai4vFhYHctTjKn58lkTI-1QXfw8

getsmarty

Immortal
flanagan-s-180428401.jpg

DRAGONS

Breaking
Flanagan set to resume coaching career as Dragons assistant
Author
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 30 Sep 2019, 10:26 AM
chammas-michael-head.png

Shane Flanagan is set to return from his coaching ban as an assistant coach with St George Illawarra.

NRL.com understands the Dragons have offered him a job as coach Paul McGregor assistant for next season as part of an overhaul of the club following a disastrous 2019 campaign.

Flanagan was deregistered by the NRL at the end of last season and was recently given the green light to return in an assistant capacity for at least the next two seasons.

St George Illawarra implemented a review, which was conducted by former Panthers supremo Phil Gould, which highlighted the need for an experienced coach alongside McGregor, who is contracted for the next two seasons but will be under pressure to deliver after the club finished 15th.

It is expected Flanagan will accept the role which was filled by Ben Hornby over the past two seasons.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/30...t2vM71yr9uJHSThhc6Ai4vFhYHctTjKn58lkTI-1QXfw8

P.S thanks Trusaint.

hazzbeen

Bench
flanagan-s-180428401.jpg

DRAGONS

Breaking
Author
Timestamp
chammas-michael-head.png

P.S thanks Trusaint.
flanagan-s-180428401.jpg

DRAGONS

Breaking
Author
Timestamp
chammas-michael-head.png

P.S thanks Trusaint.
This has to be a good thing right , so this was always in place , as the axing of Hornby and Head was a bit out of the ordinary .... You would think that Marys days are numbered if it happens ... So Mary gets the punt Flanagan is still there unofficially coaching , they promote D Young or who ever is there as the care taker coach ......

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Would you rather Dean young or another Rookie ?. Flanno is a Strong individual...so let's hope that he eventually locks horns with McGregor and we finally see the end of the Later...

Club was never going to Move McGregor on...
I’d rather someone that can take over in a year at least. And someone not caught multiple times cheating.

getsmarty

Immortal
I’d rather someone that can take over in a year at least. And someone not caught multiple times cheating.

Then some rookie old boy it is...Gorrell/Fein etc...No Thanks...

we need someone who knows what it takes to win a premiership...also Flanno is a hard nut...exactly what our team needs + knows how to develop and promote young talent...Regrettable about his mistakes, but surely everyone is entitled to a 2nd chance....