What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Nah.

But of course it’s not his fault, Criticism of his game isn’t personal, he seems like a really good young kid.

But you can’t sign the contract and expect a free pass. His game simply isn’t up to the value of his deal.

My view is that if your not willing to say it to a person's face, don't say it. I wonder would you be willing to say such things to Nathan and Ivan's face ?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
What i've noticed over the years of attending members functions and the like. Folks being real nasty (often personal too) about a player on social meda.

Then come along to fan / member functions, too busy glad handing, getting photos, stuff signed, autographs to voice their concerns and issues, that had been written about for previous months, sometimes even years.

I wonder do such folks suffer from a type of dementia or amnesia during such meetings.

Fangs

Coach
@Aliceinwonderland I don't find Herbert's comments personal at all.

In fact he is right, I don't think anyone believes that Cleary is living up to his price tag. Even his biggest fans have to question his output v his wage. He might do it in 2020 but there is definately room for doubt.

And I'd be very concerned if Nathan Cleary had time to listen to people like Herbert or anyone on this forum. He has a job to do and part of that includes ignoring us.

If you listen to the fans, you'll be sitting with them soon enough.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
@Aliceinwonderland I don't find Herbert's comments personal at all.

In fact he is right, I don't think anyone believes that Cleary is living up to his price tag. Even his biggest fans have to question his output v his wage. He might do it in 2020 but there is definately room for doubt.

And I'd be very concerned if Nathan Cleary had time to listen to people like Herbert or anyone on this forum. He has a job to do and part of that includes ignoring us.

If you listen to the fans, you'll be sitting with them soon enough.

I have no idea what Nathan's price tag is. Nor do you I suspect.

Nathan has said on numerous occassions that he had a poor 2019

I see your comment about listening to fans as a cop out. It's like all care but no responsibility.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nah.

But of course it’s not his fault, Criticism of his game isn’t personal, he seems like a really good young kid.

But you can’t sign the contract and expect a free pass. His game simply isn’t up to the value of his deal.

Exactly. Works hard. Talks well seems switched on.. Just lacks creativity (well so far anyway)

It’s interesting how wound up this discussion gets people.

It kinda resembles the seven stages of grief.

Some people are in the denial stage, but others are definitely in the anger & bargaining stage :joy:

mxlegend99

Referee
Alexander: 1st grade debut at 19..Australian rep at 21
Gower: 1st grade debut at 18.. Australian rep at 21
Fittler: 1st grade debut at 17..Australian rep at 19
Cleary:1st grade debut at 19.. S.O.O rep at 20
The first 3 were instrumental in Penriths only 2 premiership wins. They played the game as they saw it, they didn't sit back and wait for someone else to be the main playmakers. (MXlegend). Whoever Penrith plays in the 6 in 2020, I can only accept that it will be their fault if its not a successful year. Never Nathans, he will be building into his contract and needs the time.
Craig Gower didnt play a full season at halfback until his 7th season of first grade. Starting out as a benchie. Playing a lot of hooker in between games in the halves. He did what the coach wanted as any young player should.

Likewise Brad Fittler jumped between positions the first few years of his career. Playing wherever the coached deemed best for the team.

Both incredible players. But neither came in as the main playmakers. Their careers ended up going that way. But not from day 1 as you seem to be trying to imply.

Brandy was a different story. Flat out superstar half from the start basically.

You're mistaking Cleary following the coaches instructions for shirking responsibility. He would not have been very popular at all if the coach and players were looking to Moylan and Maloney as the leaders and Nathan decided he wanted to make it his team. That's the sort of shit that set Mitchell Moses back for years in his career. Look how long it has taken him to deliver on his potential... being an impatient glory hog held back his career and his teams for years.

You compare Nathan to 90% of halves at the same points in their careers and he is well and truly ahead of many players who went on to be greats. Guys who were only benchies, utilities etc. And slowly got handed the team.

2020 is going to be make or break for him. Not sure why people want to write him off now. By about round 5 or 6 we should have a rough idea how his season will go. 12 month from now we should know for certain what he is or isn't capable of. If he fails then we know weve wasted $10m on the Clearys. If he succeeds its only $5m wasted on the one Cleary

You compare Nathan to 90% of halves at the same points in their careers and he is well and truly ahead of many players who went on to be greats. Guys who were only benchies, utilities etc. And slowly got handed the team.

How can you say the above, but then say 2020 is make or break?

It stands to reason that if he is truly ahead of 90% of halves at the same point of his career, then the following season can’t be make or break. How can you be in the top 10% of halves, and then one season completely breaks you?!

Also no one is completely writing him off, he’s a solid FG half, with a lot of good qualities. People are only questioning his true value.

2020 is going to be make or break for him. Not sure why people want to write him off now. By about round 5 or 6 we should have a rough idea how his season will go. 12 month from now we should know for certain what he is or isn't capable of. If he fails then we know weve wasted $10m on the Clearys. If he succeeds its only $5m wasted on the one Cleary

mxlegend99

Referee
Why would I when you presented such a facile argument in your first line?

If you wanted me to take your post seriously, you shouldn’t have opened with such a nonsense line.
That line was mocking your nonsense logic that the person with more touches is running the team.

But at any rate if you want to believe it was Nathan's team in 2019 then that's your right. Each to his own.

How can you say the above, but then say 2020 is make or break?

It stands to reason that if he is truly ahead of 90% of halves at the same point of his career, then the following season can’t be make or break. How can you be in the top 10% of halves, and then one season completely breaks you?!

Also no one is completely writing him off, he’s a solid FG half, with a lot of good qualities. People are only questioning his true value.

Its make or break because if he cant run a team on his own there's no one to help him and the media will f**king destroy him.

Just as Panthers fans are doing anticipating him failing. Not even prepared to wait for him to get a chance. Anything short of a god like season will be seen as a failure by most fans. Only way he can change their opinions is by having that god like season.

If he does. Proves them wrong. Justifying his contract. = make

If he doesnt. They are deathriding him forever. = break

Status
Not open for further replies.