What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have been a reader of this forum for a long time, the pandering around with some of the comments, especially in regards to Nathan Cleary, made me want to have some input, not to everyones liking, I'll cop that. But for some to say " he's only 21" isn't an excuse for his inability to create or lead a team. Wikipedia already has him stated as the captain for 2020? I'll gladly eat humble pie if he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

I welcome you to the forum. It is beneficial to have new members and fresh viewpoints.

I think most would share your views in relation to Nathan but at the same time hope we will be proved wrong. I hope we are all wrong and he leads us into a new generation of success.

Kilkenny

Coach
Nah.

But of course it’s not his fault, Criticism of his game isn’t personal, he seems like a really good young kid.

But you can’t sign the contract and expect a free pass. His game simply isn’t up to the value of his deal.

Wow!!! Your ability to always take the negative position on everything to do with our club, players never ceases to amaze me. You are a one of a kind negative Nellie.

Reactions: Bob

MugaB

Coach
12 month from now we should know for certain what he is or isn't capable of. If he fails then we know weve wasted $10m on the Clearys. If he succeeds its only $5m wasted on the one Cleary
We haven't spent 10 mill on anyone, the club has, I'm actually quite happy with the outcome, I'd rather have nathan and ivan, then any alternative that was floated, its far better we had a star half, and coach then a corey norman and rookie coach, if we had bennett... great, but he would never BE long term, and only be a problem later on.
I can feel a change coming, and i felt it all the week prior to the last round, i told my mate we would put a PNG scoreline thru the knights that last round, (which is our inside joke for the Interstate cup game where PNG got put 40 on by us, and we say the panthers just set PNG back 20 years, after they had such a great year in the Q.CUP, we just brought them down to earth)
Well i feel like we just put Newcastle back 20 years after that last game. Hopefully we do this to every team this year

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Holey Moley you lot go around in circles.

Long time reader(8yrs) same rubbish different day.

I've slowly figured our over Twitter and here who you lot are and the dribble you see is bloody hilarious.

Do you like the Panthers or want to point out their faults. Every team, yes, including the Roosters have theirs.

Love Cleary (jnr or snr) or hate them i dont think any of them are out to hurt us fans.

From what I've seen over the years Nathan has put in 100000% effort. He did not choose his wage, the market did and he accepted.

The bloke is in his younger part of his 20s and from what history tells us a half doesn't blossom until 25+.

You nay sayers can say "Oh BUt HeS PLaYEd oVEr 50 GamES" (ive seen it on twitter) Put a 15 yr old kid in there and see How he plays after 50 games.

Cleary will play to his potential potential. Do I think He's worth 1m this year? No. Would take 1m to play the game I love.. you guessed it.

Stop rubbishing the team you cheer for ever so passionately. Stop being that guy. Yes you're a member you have your say blah blah blah.

On a sloppy note, one team one dream xx

I like this Guy, Welcome to the forum!

Flashstep

Juniors
To be fair regarding the spine to gel, I don’t think that’s an excuse at all, I think one of our biggest problems over the last few years is that we’ve constantly chopped and changed the spine due to injuries and players leaving.

You watch any nrl team with a new spine and they struggle, I’ll give you an example. The Roosters when they first got Tedesco and Cronk struggled a lot in attack during the early parts of that particular season and I even remember some people questioning the decision to pick em up, eventually though it clicked and Keary/Tedesco elevated their game to new heights.

After a while I think the spine players pick up on each other’s tendencies, that’s when you’ll see more creative plays come out from them because they trust each other more and they can read each other better, obviously coaching comes into play as well but chemistry is a very important factor that is overlooked a lot.

franklin2323

Immortal
To be fair regarding the spine to gel, I don’t think that’s an excuse at all, I think one of our biggest problems over the last few years is that we’ve constantly chopped and changed the spine due to injuries and players leaving.

You watch any nrl team with a new spine and they struggle, I’ll give you an example. The Roosters when they first got Tedesco and Cronk struggled a lot in attack during the early parts of that particular season and I even remember some people questioning the decision to pick em up, eventually though it clicked and Keary/Tedesco elevated their game to new heights.

After a while I think the spine players pick up on each other’s tendencies, that’s when you’ll see more creative plays come out from them because they trust each other more and they can read each other better, obviously coaching comes into play as well but chemistry is a very important factor that is overlooked a lot.

Luai has spent 2 years around the team. Played a few games with Cleary should be no excuse this year

Crashtest

Juniors
But you can’t sign the contract and expect a free pass. His game simply isn’t up to the value of his deal.

But how do you define value though for his deal? There are a number of NRL halves on large contracts that to aren't up to the value of their contracts.

For example Hunt on 1.2m, Foran on 1m this year that rises to 1.2 next season, Milford 1m, Johnson 1m, Morgan 1m, Taylor 1m, Norman 900, Bird 900K. With the exception of Morgan, I don't think any of these players are worth those salaries, and Morgan only is if he can recapture his 2017 form that his upgrade was based on. Taylor looks like he has folded under the pressure of expectations.

I prefer Nathan to any of those mentioned above, even on his upgraded contract value. And his best is still ahead of him, unlike some of those above.

Black Magik

Juniors
I just wish there was a way to see people’s comments if Nathan put on the same performance last season (particularly the Knights game) if he was a Tiger.

Like him or not, he is Panther.

franklin2323

Immortal
But how do you define value though for his deal? There are a number of NRL halves on large contracts that to aren't up to the value of their contracts.

For example Hunt on 1.2m, Foran on 1m this year that rises to 1.2 next season, Milford 1m, Johnson 1m, Morgan 1m, Taylor 1m, Norman 900, Bird 900K. With the exception of Morgan, I don't think any of these players are worth those salaries, and Morgan only is if he can recapture his 2017 form that his upgrade was based on. Taylor looks like he has folded under the pressure of expectations.

I prefer Nathan to any of those mentioned above, even on his upgraded contract value. And his best is still ahead of him, unlike some of those above.

Except for Norman all those guys have played in a GF.

That line was mocking your nonsense logic that the person with more touches is running the team.

But at any rate if you want to believe it was Nathan's team in 2019 then that's your right. Each to his own.

I don’t think it was Nathan’s team, but I do think they shared it.

Its make or break because if he cant run a team on his own there's no one to help him and the media will f**king destroy him.

Just as Panthers fans are doing anticipating him failing. Not even prepared to wait for him to get a chance. Anything short of a god like season will be seen as a failure by most fans. Only way he can change their opinions is by having that god like season.

If he does. Proves them wrong. Justifying his contract. = make

If he doesnt. They are deathriding him forever. = break

fair enough. I hope he doesn’t get destroyed if he doesn’t make it, but being the highest paid player on the team will need to be addressed if he can’t lead the team.

It’s not a matter of being prepared to wait, I just don’t agree with the hypothesis that not leading the team has held him back. 75 NRL games is enough to evaluate his positives and negatives.

I agree there are a number of halves on overvalued deals, doesn’t mean we have to join that mob. Not only did we overpay for Nathan there’s a good chance his signing meant we had to have Ivan as our coach. That’s too higher price.

There’s a number of halves on much more appropriate deals too.

Moses
Reynolds
Brooks
Keary
Townsend

We haven't spent 10 mill on anyone, the club has, I'm actually quite happy with the outcome, I'd rather have nathan and ivan, then any alternative that was floated, its far better we had a star half, and coach then a corey norman and rookie coach, if we had bennett... great, but he would never BE long term, and only be a problem later on.
I can feel a change coming, and i felt it all the week prior to the last round, i told my mate we would put a PNG scoreline thru the knights that last round, (which is our inside joke for the Interstate cup game where PNG got put 40 on by us, and we say the panthers just set PNG back 20 years, after they had such a great year in the Q.CUP, we just brought them down to earth)
Well i feel like we just put Newcastle back 20 years after that last game. Hopefully we do this to every team this year

Rookie coaches aren’t always a negative. A fresh viewpoint can actually be a good thing, arguably the NRL coaching ranks are too conservative.

There’s been some real success stories with rookie coaches in recent years. Robinson, Madge, Green.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I’m an analyst by nature & trade. Not everyone has the same outlook, and you shouldn’t expect them to.

Just enjoy diversity of opinion, Kilkenny.
I don't agree with a lot of what you say, but I do enjoy the differing opinions.

Also, how did you get into analysis as a career? Sounds very interesting

mxlegend99

Referee
I don’t think it was Nathan’s team, but I do think they shared it.

fair enough. I hope he doesn’t get destroyed if he doesn’t make it, but being the highest paid player on the team will need to be addressed if he can’t lead the team.

It’s not a matter of being prepared to wait, I just don’t agree with the hypothesis that not leading the team has held him back. 75 NRL games is enough to evaluate his positives and negatives.
The real question is just how good do people want him to be before he has earned his salary and/or satisfied whatever is expected of him? How quickly does he need to reach that level in 2020?

10 different people could have 10 different expectations of that. Also if he shows a huge improvement in these areas but isnt quiet the best half in the game would we be happy?

People rated Ash Taylor ahead of him. More try assists. Better vision. Natural instincts etc. But the guy some mental issues not being able to cope with the pressure. I just hope the pressure doesnt get to Nathan and cause him to break too. Hes pretty good at absorbing pressure. But hes still young and everyone has a breaking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.