What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The yak

Juniors
That warriors game was his second game in the nrl and he was brilliant, set up a bunch of tries and scored 2, he hasn’t scored again in 15 games since, including 4 starts. He has set up some. He has been good, but not so good he has to get picked over Burton. Once Burton gets his shot he will be hard to get back out I think.

Cleary mentioned the temperament Burton showed on debut when we upgraded him, if he can continue to combine that temperament with his natural talents and a good work ethic then he is going to be something else.

And filter was a 6 when he started and a 6 when he retired, it was always his best spot. He could play other spots well, but he was a natural five eighth.

Burton seems to have good game awareness for such a young age.

The Roosters coach seems to have the right philosophy. He gets his players to learn other positions to help evolve their own games and bring versatility to his own squad.
Manu played a bit of FB last year, Angus in the middle and Latrell at 5/8.
Maybe Burton could start off in the centres if it helps his overall development and gets him graded. 10 - 15 off the bench would be a complete waste.

Fittler like Daley started in the centres to get a taste but ultimately they both were 5/8's.
Fittler could handle lock (he won Dally M lock of the year 95 I think) but I thought against bigger packs they use to smash him up at times.

Fangs

Coach

The Roosters coach seems to have the right philosophy. He gets his players to learn other positions to help evolve their own games and bring versatility to his own squad.

Which is ultimately what a modern NRL player should be doing. It happens in rep squads, it happens at the top tier clubs like Melbourne/Roosters. I believe it helps them when injuries/rep season come along.

If Burton can handle playing in another position like centre then its a no brainer. Its different if they are crap when they play there. It also frees up a spot on the bench for a guy like May.

betcats

Referee
I agree letting them play in other positions can help development if they are talented enough. Burton could play centre and benefit from it, its great defensive experience and it forces hm to run and take tough hit ups so he gets used to the hysical demands. People say Luai coudlnt play centre because he is to sideways etc but forcing him to play centre and run in a little corridor could be huge for his development as a half IMO. The only criticism of him is he isn't direct enough, centre will get him playing more direct. I think given our lack of quality backs Jerome and Burton are both too talented to leave one out all year, get them in somehow.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree letting them play in other positions can help development if they are talented enough. Burton could play centre and benefit from it, its great defensive experience and it forces hm to run and take tough hit ups so he gets used to the hysical demands. People say Luai coudlnt play centre because he is to sideways etc but forcing him to play centre and run in a little corridor could be huge for his development as a half IMO. The only criticism of him is he isn't direct enough, centre will get him playing more direct. I think given our lack of quality backs Jerome and Burton are both too talented to leave one out all year, get them in somehow.

That is my issue with Luai not direct and I don't rate his kicking game. both are fine at centre

Pomoz

Bench

Manu played a bit of FB last year, Angus in the middle and Latrell at 5/8.
Maybe Burton could start off in the centres if it helps his overall development and gets him graded. 10 - 15 off the bench would be a complete waste.

Fittler like Daley started in the centres to get a taste but ultimately they both were 5/8's.
Fittler could handle lock (he won Dally M lock of the year 95 I think) but I thought against bigger packs they use to smash him up at times.
Smash him up? Fittler was nails hard. Nails. Not showy, not punchy like Gallen or all mouth like Hodges. Just tough as teak. Broken cheekbone in a World Cup match for the Kangaroos (Pommy hooker, dirty bastard). No problem. He just played on. I think he was 19.

17 years of age against the feared, vaunted and highly respected Balmain pack which included Roach and Sironen. Lined up and smashed by Sironen early doors, no problem. Got up, played the ball and laughed. Sironen was a massive unit at the peak of his powers and he could not intimidate Fittler. I was in the stands that day and when he was smashed to the floor, the crowd went “ooh“. They knew he was just a kid. When he sprang to his feet and looked Sironen in the eye, I thought “this kid goes alright”. Understatement of the year.

I have heard a story from a Penrith local who is connected quite well to the Panthers, that one night Steve Carter was drunk and a bit loud and stared a blue at the PioneerTavern. He got smashed by a huge bloke and then Fittler stepped in and said “pick on someone your own size” and laid him out. The guy was twice his size.

I hated him for going to the Roosters, but he was a warrior and football player of the highest calibre.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
According to another forum......Moylan strained his groin early in the pre-season. As a result of that his back seized. Now he has done his calf......

MugaB

Coach
Smash him up? Fittler was nails hard. Nails. Not showy, not punchy like Gallen or all mouth like Hodges. Just tough as teak. Broken cheekbone in a World Cup match for the Kangaroos (Pommy hooker, dirty bastard). No problem. He just played on. I think he was 19.

17 years of age against the feared, vaunted and highly respected Balmain pack which included Roach and Sironen. Lined up and smashed by Sironen early doors, no problem. Got up, played the ball and laughed. Sironen was a massive unit at the peak of his powers and he could not intimidate Fittler. I was in the stands that day and when he was smashed to the floor, the crowd went “ooh“. They knew he was just a kid. When he sprang to his feet and looked Sironen in the eye, I thought “this kid goes alright”. Understatement of the year.

I have heard a story from a Penrith local who is connected quite well to the Panthers, that one night Steve Carter was drunk and a bit loud and stared a blue at the PioneerTavern. He got smashed by a huge bloke and then Fittler stepped in and said “pick on someone your own size” and laid him out. The guy was twice his size.

I hated him for going to the Roosters, but he was a warrior and football player of the highest calibre.
Remember when he took meninga out
20200120_151757.jpg

hindy111

Post Whore
Burton and Luai may both put pressure on Nathan.
Is the idea of Cleary being turned into a fullback ridiculous?

May makes a great 14. He can play in the halves, hooker and forwards.

Ivan will play a grinding game that is simple. Nathan strength is he can play to a game plan. Maloney was dynamic but unable to stick to a game plan. I reckon we will see a very fit mobile side that has good defense amd a great kick chase. Attack may not be great but perhaps a style simmilar to the raiders of 2019.

Dave's mate

Juniors

May makes a great 14. He can play in the halves, hooker and forwards.

Ivan will play a grinding game that is simple. Nathan strength is he can play to a game plan. Maloney was dynamic but unable to stick to a game plan. I reckon we will see a very fit mobile side that has good defense amd a great kick chase. Attack may not be great but perhaps a style simmilar to the raiders of 2019.
Yes totally ridiculous

Fangs

Coach

Its ridiculous when you consider his Dad is the coach and he is the current NSW 7.

2019 was a great opportunity for him to play 9 and I think a coach like Wayne Bennett would have had the balls to do it.

That boat has now sailed and Cleary will be in the 7 for the foreseeable future #clearyball.

Last edited:

Crashtest

Juniors
Mate, he was forced out. Yes he probably did ask for a release but only after being told he was surplus to requirements.

Good luck to Wade I have no doubt he will kick on with the Warriors and we will be asking ourselves down the track why did we let him go!!!!

There's a good interview with Wade on nrl.com today explaining why he left the Panthers for the Warriors.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/20/the-awkward-three-man-meeting-behind-egans-penrith-exit/

"He brought myself and young Mitch Kenny in one day to tell us that they had signed Api," Egan recalls of the meeting that set in motion his eventual shift to the Warriors.

"Obviously, you're a little bit filthy at the time but I saw where they were coming from too.

"They wanted that experienced No.9 especially with young halves and Jimmy Maloney leaving so I could definitely see where they were coming from.

"Ivan told me to stay and fight for that spot but they said if you find a really good deal we're not going to stand in your way, that was good from them.

"They didn't have an issue if I wanted to stay because I still had two years there but if I thought I could get a No.9 spot elsewhere they were happy to work something out."

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I can understand Ivan's logic. The team needed (badly) an experienced vibrant hooker. Egan I think is behind Kenny in the stakes for the bench spot.

I think the warriors offer was a very generous one. He is probably in a similar position now there. So in reality not better off, (except of course the extra cash)

hindy111

Post Whore
In the 20s him and Mahoney where both talked about as top prospects.
Mahoney has kicked on but is that because the Eels where more succesfull last season?
Sometimes young guys need 2 or 3 years to blossum. Damien Cooks a great example.

In saying that Korisau is one of the top 5 hookers in comp. Great signing and will improve the squad.

betcats

Referee
Egan showed off his running game in one performance last year and he looked fantastic, If he can bring that consistently he can be very good, if not though he lacks the instincts and skills to be a starting hooker at this level, his running game needs to develop for him to kick on.

Mahoney is solid he’s impressed me when I’ve watched Parra which isn’t a whole lot tbh.

franklin2323

Immortal
Confidence to play their natural game is an issue when players come into the top grade. The u20’s Egan was a beast if that comes out he will be a very good player

Status
Not open for further replies.