What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tristan Sailor

possm

Coach
Saab and Sailor on the wings... But who will be inside them? Still our biggest headache
Exactly and because of this I would test the following combination during the off-season:
1. Lomax
2. Pereira
3. Ravalawa
4. Sailor
5. Saab

No more headaches.

SAP58

Juniors
Saab and Sailor on the wings... But who will be inside them? Still our biggest headache
Unfortunately McGoose doesn’t share that view, if he did he would have replaced them numerous times last year. Hopefully he maintains that view and it will be to his detriment & ultimately his downfall in 2020 !

possm

Coach
Unfortunately McGoose doesn’t share that view, if he did he would have replaced them numerous times last year. Hopefully he maintains that view and it will be to his detriment & ultimately his downfall in 2020 !
I don't subscribe to the wish for the team to lose games because of poor selections in order for greater momentum in the removal of the coach because:
  • History has shown that no matter what, the Board will not remove the coach.
  • The alternative set up that seems to be the Board's preference, is a Dean Young interim coach, In my opinion this would be even worse. If Dean Young was appointed interim coach, we would be stuck with him long term, in the same way that we have been with Mary.
  • Our only hope is for Mary to remain as a puppet coach with Flanagan having a positive influence on the improvement of players and the team as a whole.
  • My wish is for the new CEO to convince the NRL to lift the ban on Flanagan as of the end of 2020.

Last edited:

SAP58

Juniors
I don't subscribe to the wish for the team to lose games because of poor selections in order for greater momentum in the removal of the coach because:
  • History has shown that no matter what, the Board will not remove the coach.
  • The the alternative set up by the Board is a Dean Young interim coach which in my opinion would be even worse. If Dean Young was appointed interim coach, we would be stuck with him long term, in the same way that we have been with Mary.
  • Our only hope is for Mary to remain as a puppet coach with Flanagan having a positive influence on the improvement of players and the team as a whole.
  • My wish is for the new CEO to convince the NRL to left the ban on Flanagan working has a head coach at the end of 2020.
I certainly don’t wish for the team to lose but I am prepared for another difficult year before a major change of personnel in 2021. But I think I am being a realist, he didn’t drop the centres last year when they constantly underperformed so I don’t expect him to do so this year. He doesn’t generally listen to anyone else.
I am not so sure the Board won’t remove the coach in 2020 but time will tell on that one. I am also not convinced that Dean Young would be interim coach should he be sacked but I agree that would be a major backward step. I also think while Todd Greenberg is CEO of the NRL any CEO we appoint will struggle to convince him to allow Flanagan to return as a head coach before 2022 as he has stated on a number of occasions & it would take a massive change of mind for that to happen.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I certainly don’t wish for the team to lose but I am prepared for another difficult year before a major change of personnel in 2021. But I think I am being a realist, he didn’t drop the centres last year when they constantly underperformed so I don’t expect him to do so this year. He doesn’t generally listen to anyone else.
I am not so sure the Board won’t remove the coach in 2020 but time will tell on that one. I am also not convinced that Dean Young would be interim coach should he be sacked but I agree that would be a major backward step. I also think while Todd Greenberg is CEO of the NRL any CEO we appoint will struggle to convince him to allow Flanagan to return as a head coach before 2022 as he has stated on a number of occasions & it would take a massive change of mind for that to happen.

Agree.
I also dont subscribe to the Dean Young as interim coach theory. I think hiring Shepherd, who has already had the 'interim' coaching experience, was the set up with Shepherd as the puppet to Flannagan
This may change of course with who is elected to CEO which I cant see happening given the propensity for conflict of interest.

possm

Coach
I doubt there will be any major changes to the squad for season 2021. Most of the salary cap is allocated towards the forwards and halves and in my opinion they will keep most of the forwards and the current halves for the 2021 season.

In the backs it will depend on form however, I expect that Aitken and Lafai will not be extended. Sailor and Ravalawa will have to have a very good season to be extended. Dufty might request a release otherwise, he is signed for 2021.

BLM01

First Grade
I doubt there will be any major changes to the squad for season 2021. Most of the salary cap is allocated towards the forwards and halves and in my opinion they will keep most of the forwards and the current halves for the 2021 season.

In the backs it will depend on form however, I expect that Aitken and Lafai will not be extended. Sailor and Ravalawa will have to have a very good season to be extended. Dufty might request a release otherwise, he is signed for 2021.
Sounds like your saying that Millward by 2021... is going to have done an overall good job then.

George Dragon

Juniors
For much of this week, St George Illawarra rookie Tristan Sailor has been linked to a whisper which sounds impossible.
Specifically, that he can squat 300kg.
Which has to be a lie, right?
Especially when you consider Manly enforcer Marty Taupau, that dreadlocked Adonis long considered rugby league’s strongest man, he has a maximum squat of 200kg.
Yet Sailor, he weighs just 85kg.

Which is why since Tuesday, when Dragons No.7 Ben Hunt was quoted saying his teammate “squatted something like 300 the other day” … well, social media has melted as fans argue over whether said figure is kilos, pounds or complete fabrication.

So with the son of cult Kangaroo Wendell Sailor now here in Perth for the NRL Nines, The Saturday Telegraph cornered him to ask exactly how much hot air exists in what would be the heaviest NRL squat lift every recorded.

“Yeah, I can squat 300kg,” Sailor said simply, and without a hint of arrogance.

“But it’s for a box squat.

“I’m not sure if it’s just a Dragons thing, but we only do box squats here to protect our backs.

“I haven’t done a regular squat since I was in SG Ball.”

At which point, the ASADA testers reading this will undoubtedly re-holster their little plastic cups.

Understanding that unlike a regulation squat, the box squat is easier to perform given the lifter, as the name suggests, only drops to a box, or bench, placed behind them.

“So it’s definitely a lot easier than a normal squat,” Sailor confirms. “You only go down 90 degrees, plus can bounce back up off the box too.”

Yet while not exactly the Lou Ferrigno lift it first seemed, Sailor’s box squat still sits among the Dragons top three – Korbin Sims is best, with 310kg – and ranks him, pound for pound, among the most impressive gym lifters in the game.

Indeed, when asked where he would land on a regulation squat, Sailor insists he could put himself “up around the 200kg mark”.

Which is undeniably impressive, although still short of the mark held by the NRL squat king, Parramatta’s Maika Sivo.

As revealed by The Daily Telegraph last year, Sivo maxed out at a squat of 285 kilograms. Asked if he could have pushed for the magic 300kg mark, the Fijian flyer replied: “The bar I was using, there was no more room on it”.

After making his NRL debut for the Dragons last year, Sailor has proved something of a 2020 SuperCoach favourite, with plenty tipping him for a first grade wing spot.

However, the Illawarra junior revealed he has actually spent much of the pre-season training at five-eighth with the club’s NSW Cup side, which is where he expects to start this year.

As a result, Jordan Pereira will likely start on one wing for the Dragons, with Mikaele Ravalawa and Jason Saab to fight out for the other spot.

Asked about training in the No.6 role, Sailor said: “I’ve really enjoyed it, being more on the ball.

“I’ve also trained a couple of times on the wing (with the NRL squad) – moved around through a few positions – but I think, first up, I’ll be playing in the halves in reserves.

“And I’m fine with biding my time.

“For now, it’s about training hard to make sure I remain right on the cusp of selection.

“Then when I do get my opportunity in the NRL, I want to stay there.”

://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailytelegraph.com.au%2Fsport%2Fnrl%2Fdragons-tristan-sailor-confirms-staggering-gym-feat%2Fnews-story%2Fd3e0f7065ef18c07eb550c50b5314157&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I know it is only nines however he set up 1 try and scored another. Very sharp and impressive.
He did look good, there a lot of wankers on this forum that just can resist constant negativity. Cant we just have fun and enjoy seeing the boys looking fit and sharp. I thought a lot of players showed promise. Maybe not booking themselves a spot for round 1 but some food for thought for the trials at least.

boardlumps62

Juniors
There are a lot of old whingers in this forum that have never laced up a boot that's why. They are armchair athletes that actually have no idea about the game.
If he was just a few inches taller but the speed the speed may be enough. He slipped through a gap that wasn't even there how good was that. Also Forbes you related. I like Peachey can we get him.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If he was just a few inches taller but the speed the speed may be enough. He slipped through a gap that wasn't even there how good was that. Also Forbes you related. I like Peachey can we get him.
I heard Dufty has been awesome in training. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him light it up later in the tournament. I know he didn’t set the world on fire game 1 but don’t count him out. Wish I was related to the Peach would take him any day at the mighty’s.

Latest posts