What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the most common food/drink you have never even tried??

horrie hastings

First Grade
tried dim sum once - can't deal with it, and I generally love Asian cuisine.

Just something about the texture of the steamed buns, too much like raw dough packed with blister-causing volcanic gasses.

Love my dim sum or yum cha especially the steamed dumplings but the steamed pork buns are like what you described, they are very ordinary and chewy and just ummmm like nothing, i haven't had one for many years.

soc123_au

Staff member
Love my dim sum or yum cha especially the steamed dumplings but the steamed pork buns are like what you described, they are very ordinary and chewy and just ummmm like nothing, i haven't had one for many years.

Tend to agree about the pork buns. Although I had some in HK last november that were great. From a hole in the wall near the National Museum. I'd had them previously in China from a few places & didnt get what the fuss was about.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Kinkhali > pork buns.

In fact, xiaolongbao > pork buns, jiaozi > pork buns, and mandu > pork buns.

Life's Good

Coach
tried dim sum once - can't deal with it, and I generally love Asian cuisine.

Just something about the texture of the steamed buns, too much like raw dough packed with blister-causing volcanic gasses.
You’ve nailed the pork bun vote. Going in I thought I could see the appeal but after my first one I was seriously underwhelmed. Sickly sweet filling surrounded by a poorly portioned dough mixture. Pass

Wizardman

First Grade
I'm 38 and never had a tea or coffee in my life.
No reason for it. I just don't want or need them to get by, nor do I particularly like drinking hot drinks. May have a hot choc / Milo 2-3 times a year when it's freezing cold, but that's about it.
Iron Mike Tyson has said he has never had coffee either.

Wizardman

First Grade
A lot of these surprise me, but I can't judge. I hadn't tried lobster until I was 34, and I've still never tried pomegranate.
Love pomegranate....the type of fruit I normally use when I prepare a fruit salad. I first tried lobster in my 30s....got to agree with the other poster in that it is overrated. Nice but not all that.

Wizardman

First Grade
Good pork buns are great.

The problem is they're either great or ordinary. And there's a lot of the latter around.

In my childhood, my parents went with family friends to a very upmarket Chinese restaurant in Fortitude Valley. The pork buns I had there were tremendous. A good portion of meat and was well flavoured.

I have not had a good pork bun since and have tried quite a few since then.

Misanthrope

Staff member
In my childhood, my parents went with family friends to a very upmarket Chinese restaurant in Fortitude Valley. The pork buns I had there were tremendous. A good portion of meat and was well flavoured.

I have not had a good pork bun since and have tried quite a few since then.

I wasn't a huge fan living in China, but they were mostly sold as a roadside snack or in 7-11.

For me, a good jiaozi (dumpling), xiao long bao (soup dumpling), or rou jia mo (like a Chinese hamburger) are all superior snacks.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Im going to be cooking mussels for the first time tonight.

Interested to see how your mussels turn out. I love mussels and usually do them in a tomato and chilli sauce, usually have enough of the sauce left over and I freeze it, used the left over sauce from the last time I cooked mussels last time last night, just threw in some nice green prawns and cooked some fresh fettuccini and threw it all together and had a lovely dinner.

MKEB...

Staff member
I usually steam my mussels in Lemongrass and white wine with a touch of chilli and Coiander, or steam them with dijon mustard blue cheese and a smidge of chilli.

Instead of using a fork, use a discarded shell as a pair of chop--sticks to get the rest out of their shells. Metal forks can taint the taste.

AJB1102

First Grade
I can't stomach fresh mussels but those little smoked buggers in the tin I'll gobble up.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I can't stomach fresh mussels but those little smoked buggers in the tin I'll gobble up.
Im the same, any of the shellfish family raw is just salty snot but steam, kilpatrick, smoke..the list is long any of them and i can demolish them.

AJB1102

First Grade
Im the same, any of the shellfish family raw is just salty snot but steam, kilpatrick, smoke..the list is long any of them and i can demolish them.

f**k I'd shake someone's hand and rub my eyes for a dozen oysters kilpatrick right now!

horrie hastings

First Grade
I usually steam my mussels in Lemongrass and white wine with a touch of chilli and Coiander, or steam them with dijon mustard blue cheese and a smidge of chilli.

Instead of using a fork, use a discarded shell as a pair of chop--sticks to get the rest out of their shells. Metal forks can taint the taste.

You actually had me there till you mentioned blue cheese, every other ingredient i could work with but not the blue cheese.
And yes you don't need a fork, the shell is a perfect scoop, you don't need anymore cultery.

horrie hastings

First Grade

I would never eat mussells raw but oysters are best natural, in saying that i do like them steamed asian style or done in a tempura batter and even shock horror in a cheese mornay sauce but i can never understand kilpatrick, why drown the good taste of an oyster with bacon and worcestershire sauce ? the only time i have ever enjoyed them that way is that the old Haberfield Rowers Club before they bastardised the place, they bought out half a dozen by mistake, they had lovely slivers of bacon on them with just enough sauce not to drown out the oyster taste completely.

Latest posts