What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

unforgiven

Bench
Shit argument. It has nothing to do with not being wrong.

Do you let your 6 year old watch hetero couples have sex on tv? If not why not? It’s normal so why hide it from young people?
There was no sex in the ad, my daughter has seen plenty of people kiss though, which after all is what is shown in the ad. Building a strawman won't work here as I will just call you on your bullshit!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Fans’ ire forces NRL to revamp controversial TV ad campaign

“We are changing elements that people feel portrayed a negative”

The voiceover around the Super League moment has changed to show a reunited code while other elements will be “sharper”. The new advertisement could be relaunched as early as Wednesday.

Hahaha, I only just realised that the only bit they are changing is the anti-SL stuff that probably annoyed NewsLtd....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
For everyone complaining that this ad isnt what you want to see, that probably because it isnt for you.......

If you WANT to see an nrl ad, its probably because you are already going to watch the season. This is about getting new people into the game (just like the original campaigns in 1989/90 were about getting new people into the game).

I can just imagine the people complaining about those original, when they first airs 30 years ago, "this isnt for us, we just wanna see footy".

EDIT: turns out, we dont need to imagine

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/05/simply-the-best---the-untold-story/

If that's your takeaway then I can't help ya, sorry.

My point about lauding Knights fans watching the 1997 GF on TV is that there were better ways, and ones which could have used actual footage which reflected what it meant to Knights fans.

For example, the bus convoys that came down the F3 (as it was then known) to the Grand Final; the fans who formed guards of honour on the route that the player's bus passed on its way out of Newcastle to the SFS. Heck even shots of the players hugging just about every fan they walked past on their lap of honour, it was the slowest GF lap of honour at the SFS.

Those happened, and using actual footage would have made it distinctive and more importantly authentic. Instead "nah, lets recreate an imaginary group watching it at some pub on TV" - brilliant :rolleyes:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The ad feels disjointed and should better represent all clubs instead of only a few multiple times. They could have used their two minutes better. You don't even need to have a history moment for each club - just take the time to feature each club in some way. Even the original seemed to do a better job of that despite it being heavy on the cringe.

Another thing - I understand focusing on a few individual players but the clubs themselves should be the real heroes of any ad they put out there. I want to see my club represented - not just players wearing neutral clothing. A casual fan seeing this ad might not make the connection. What's the point?

Why? they are advertising the game in general, not each club. Why put 30 seconds into jamming each club in at the expence of other shit

(hahah, some people complain about too much box ticking > others complain about not enough)

sempmrh

Juniors
Why? they are advertising the game in general, not each club. Why put 30 seconds into jamming each club in at the expence of other shit

(hahah, some people complain about too much box ticking > others complain about not enough)

Because it’s advertising the NRL Telstra Premiership and the clubs are the NRL Telstra Premiership. It shouldn’t be too much to ask to have a few seconds for each of the 16 clubs - an action shot or a staged training shot, whatever it might be. The guy playing the saxophone gets more time than some of the clubs.

Quicksilver

Bench
Because it’s advertising the NRL Telstra Premiership and the clubs are the NRL Telstra Premiership. It shouldn’t be too much to ask to have a few seconds for each of the 16 clubs - an action shot or a staged training shot, whatever it might be. The guy playing the saxophone gets more time than some of the clubs.

For sure.

Even the shit teams would have at least one decent 2 second clip.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My point about lauding Knights fans watching the 1997 GF on TV is that there were better ways, and ones which could have used actual footage which reflected what it meant to Knights fans.

For example, the bus convoys that came down the F3 (as it was then known) to the Grand Final; the fans who formed guards of honour on the route that the player's bus passed on its way out of Newcastle to the SFS. Heck even shots of the players hugging just about every fan they walked past on their lap of honour, it was the slowest GF lap of honour at the SFS.

Those happened, and using actual footage would have made it distinctive and more importantly authentic. Instead "nah, lets recreate an imaginary group watching it at some pub on TV" - brilliant :rolleyes:
I'd have thought the "actual footage" of the BHP march was illustrating and reflecting what it meant to the people of Newcastle.

A lot of people watching this ad have become very good at minimising and/or ignoring the bits that don't suit their argument.

I'd have thought the "actual footage" of the BHP march was illustrating and reflecting what it meant to the people of Newcastle.

A lot of people watching this ad have become very good at minimising and/or ignoring the bits that don't suit their argument.

Excuse me? I have not ignored anything. I have merely point out the parts of the add I dislike. You seem to the be the one implying I'm doing something else as you are the one who keeps replying to my posts pointing out a contrarian view.

I didn't realise it was mandatory I like the add.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Excuse me? I have not ignored anything. I have merely point out the parts of the add I dislike. You seem to the be the one implying I'm doing something else as you are the one who keeps replying to my posts pointing out a contrarian view.

I didn't realise it was mandatory I like the add.
You specifically said in your previous posts:

"could have used actual footage which reflected what it meant to Knights fans."

While yeah, a live pub shot at the time would've been nice, it would probably have harmed the production value given there's not much in the way of clear, crisp footage from that time. The point I was making which you didn't even address is that the BHP marches were included just before the premiership scene to give that context and show was it meant to Knights fans. Not acknowledging that while saying what I just quoted seems to miss the point.

You can dislike the ad, in the same way I can be 'contrarian' to your view. Go nuts.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Beaver Menzies 2008 Grand Final try and 40-0 being the biggest ever Grand Final score line surely should have made it on.

Just saying..

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think they are trying too hard to be politically correct. Maturity is reached when you no longer need to do this.

they’ll no longer need to “do this” when middle aged white men stop being outraged at two women kissing or someone celebrating their culture. Might be a while yet going by some of the sht the usual media mouth pieces and red necks on social media have come out with.