What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That it doesn’t.

Still young enough to be sheltered from having to explain intolerance to her
Intolerance from where? Some folks would not have said anything negative. The players were celebrating the game and they're good friends. No fuss, nothing wrong about it.

Is the same question asked when male players are embracing each other?

Years ago men didn't hug each other on the football field. I recall old Frank Hyde calling games when the celebrating with hugs started. Frank wasn't impressed. He said they should just give each other a firm handshake like men do and "stop this hugging business ." So Frank was behind the times.

And times change.

Now we dare to be exposed to two women players embracing in a still shot on the tv screen for less than half a second. And people notice enough to complain. My, how far we have come in the last 50 years.

Anyway, it seems like a strange question for a 9-year-old to ask. And it sounds like you joined in the cynicism.

Xcalibre

Juniors
how has their personal life been used to "sell" the sport of RL

An ad is generally to sell something. In the video Greenberg says as much, that making an ad just showing playing would be targeting the same people as every other year.

Trying to recruit more fans = selling.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Intolerance from where? Some folks would not have said anything negative. The players were celebrating the game and they're good friends. No fuss, nothing wrong about it.

Is the same question asked when male players are embracing each other?

Years ago men didn't hug each other on the football field. I recall old Frank Hyde calling games when the celebrating with hugs started. Frank wasn't impressed. He said they should just give each other a firm handshake like men do and "stop this hugging business ." So Frank was behind the times.

And times change.

Now we dare to be exposed to two women players embracing in a still shot on the tv screen for less than half a second. And people notice enough to complain. My, how far we have comein the last 50 years.

Anyway, it seems like a strange question for a 9-year-old to ask. And it sounds like you joined in the cynicism.

At least compare apples with apples. Embracing is much different to a big sloppy kiss lol.

Fwiw, I can do without gay, straight or non-binary making out. Unless it’s in a movie I choose to watch (and expect it) I don’t need to see it.

AJB1102

First Grade
Scott Price and Benji used to get pretty friendly and cop shit on TFS. f**k who was it that grabbed Mason's willie a while back?

And it was hardly a "sloppy" kiss.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
At least compare apples with apples. Embracing is much different to a big sloppy kiss lol.

Fwiw, I can do without gay, straight or non-binary making out. Unless it’s in a movie I choose to watch (and expect it) I don’t need to see it.
Big sloppy kiss? lol.

It was a still shot, less than a second. If that is an assault on your precious senses then you might need to impose a total media blackout.

Get with the program grand dad.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree, The “cmon Aussie,cmon,cmon” ad for the women’s cricket is great, used an iconic song, and didn’t divide supporters for no reason.

The NRL looks like it wanted to cause a stir, as others have pointed out, instead of just latrell, they could of shown parts of both tribal acts from the all stars match, shown the women’s WNRL grand final and origin winners holding up the trophy.

sport has always been a way to escape and relax for a few hours, not to get into an argument about things that they are probably already arguing about with others during the week.

the main issue with the ad that I have, is the unfortunately awful singing by some random girl.

That is a classic ad re done well. That should be the formula moving forward

unforgiven

Bench
Sure, you could probably just fob them off with “they’re friends”, or “they love each other” etc, and not explain homosexuality, but the point is it could provoke many kids to ask more questions that they’re too young to understand.

The appropriate place or more correctly time, is when the kids is old enough to understand.

It’s not awkward to me at all and I don’t have a 9 year old. I just think that the questions it may raise are inappropriate for a young child to be pondering. Anyway it’s up to a parent how they raise their children.

Ok, I probably forgot the context, but it makes it more of a quandary tbh.
What a garbage post, basically you are saying there is something wrong with their behaviour so it should be hidden from young people. Put your head in the sand all you like but most 9 year olds are seeing same sex couples all the time when they walk down the street! This attitude you have displayed is why its critically important that things like this ad include same sex couples. You explain by saying they are the same as any other couple. What is wrong with some people?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That is a classic ad re done well. That should be the formula moving forward
It was literally made to advertise a bank - one of the banks who did some of the f**king dreadful stuff heard at the Royal Commission into Financial Services.

So in summary - evil banks are actually good, and inclusive NRL bad. Got it.

I purposely saw the ad before I read/heard any social media or otherwise comments. I had no idea (even off the back of the anthem controversy) that the Latrell with flag draped around his shoulders scene was divisive until I heard the bogan callers on talk-back and the usual media suspects. I knew there’d be issues with the same sex aspect but thought it was respectful.

It’s done what it’s set out to do, it’s inclusive and aiming to attract a younger audience who may have seen the game as intimidating.

The advertising aim of course is to always attract a new audience without pissing off the existing. I’d argue that the ones pissed off (the ones probably siding with Israel Folau) are a small part of the existing fan base and they’re not going to stop watching the game because of this ad.

As for Pau Kent’s box ticking criticism, I’ve worked on ads for the NRL in the past and they’ve always been box ticking exercises like every other client I’ve ever worked for.
Show footy action - tick. Hero one of the pretty players (usually of white, euro heritage) - tick. Some aboriginal players - tick. Show a couple of ethnic minorities in the crowd - tick. Make sure everyone looks like they’re having fun as if that’s not a fuggin given! Just some new boxes being ticked in this ad.

I was initially concerned that they were going to rerun the old Tina ad but I personally like what they’ve done.

Xcalibre

Juniors
What a garbage post, basically you are saying there is something wrong with their behaviour so it should be hidden from young people. Put your head in the sand all you like but most 9 year olds are seeing same sex couples all the time when they walk down the street! This attitude you have displayed is why its critically important that things like this ad include same sex couples. You explain by saying they are the same as any other couple. What is wrong with some people?

Shit argument. It has nothing to do with not being wrong.

Do you let your 6 year old watch hetero couples have sex on tv? If not why not? It’s normal so why hide it from young people?

sempmrh

Juniors
The ad feels disjointed and should better represent all clubs instead of only a few multiple times. They could have used their two minutes better. You don't even need to have a history moment for each club - just take the time to feature each club in some way. Even the original seemed to do a better job of that despite it being heavy on the cringe.

Another thing - I understand focusing on a few individual players but the clubs themselves should be the real heroes of any ad they put out there. I want to see my club represented - not just players wearing neutral clothing. A casual fan seeing this ad might not make the connection. What's the point?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Do you let your 6 year old watch hetero couples have sex on tv? If not why not? It’s normal so why hide it from young people?
Oh wow that's some pathetically weak goalpost shifting.

How is heterosexual sex the equivalent of a same-sex couple merely kissing?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

you do realize the add is not R rated ?

Latest posts