What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg stands down

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So there was a phone call between Greenbald, V'l'a'n'd'y's and George which was the crunch point.

Greenbald wouldn't have leaked it. V'l'a'n'd'y's doesn't leak according to Kent. So that leaves George or that it's fiction.

Probably the club...

The NRL clubs have a grand tradition of getting the ARLCs attention by going through the media.

It is the equivalent of sending an email to you manager and copying in the owners just to f*ck with your boss

beave

Coach
V’landys has not said or done one thing that fills me with any confidence that he was the correct person for this job. If the reports are true and we are in fact negotiating a new tv deal at the figures being mooted, then he is as stupid as he sounds and looks.

some11

Referee
Yep we need proper leadership that can actually engage with the self serving stakeholders and get them all working towards the common goal of making RL as strong as it can be. Being factional, arrogant and dismissive towards stake holders is not strong leadership. The nrl gets bent over by the media, clubs and the players regularly. I’m not really expecting it to change but I have more confidence in V’landys. Greenberg was an utter puppet, he let the media sway his actions often hence the high level of inconsistency that has been shown under him the last few years.
Please.

They will turn on Mr. Rugba Leg when it suits them.

flippikat

Bench
Just put Abdo there and let’s see what Vlandys can do.

Yeah.. that's my take on it - in a rather defeatist way, mind you.

As much as I'd love to rail against Vlandys, the self-interest of clubs, and the "back to the good old days" sentiment that permeates our game that demands a club in every suburb and games in boggy, embankment-lined junkyards of suburban grounds, while ignoring the games potential to grow.. trying to argue is tiresome.

So go ahead Vlandys. Do your "best".

Choose *your* CEO.
Negotiate *your* media deals.
Decide on *your* footprint for the game.

And we'll see in a few years time just how good you were for this sport.

I personally can't see any quantum leap coming, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

betcats

Referee
Please.

They will turn on Mr. Rugba Leg when it suits them.

Perhaps they will. It’s a shit fight trying to get them to stop being self serving pricks hence why I don’t think much will change, but Vlandys has a great reputation and record and from all reports he is a very good operator, I’m happy to give him the benefit.

betcats

Referee
Yeah.. that's my take on it - in a rather defeatist way, mind you.

As much as I'd love to rail against Vlandys, the self-interest of clubs, and the "back to the good old days" sentiment that permeates our game that demands a club in every suburb and games in boggy, embankment-lined junkyards of suburban grounds, while ignoring the games potential to grow.. trying to argue is tiresome.

So go ahead Vlandys. Do your "best".

Choose *your* CEO.
Negotiate *your* media deals.
Decide on *your* footprint for the game.

And we'll see in a few years time just how good you were for this sport.

I personally can't see any quantum leap coming, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

I don’t see a quantum leap coming either, it’s to tough a job right now. But Vlandys is there now it makes the most sense to get a CEO he can agree with and hope they can pull a rabbit out.

franklin2323

Immortal
Perhaps they will. It’s a shit fight trying to get them to stop being self serving pricks hence why I don’t think much will change, but Vlandys has a great reputation and record and from all reports he is a very good operator, I’m happy to give him the benefit.

Yep. Hard to argue with him so far ( Details of the new tv deal might change that)

Cactus

Juniors
Job interview questions for incoming CEO:
1. How would you go about doing everything 16 idiots tell you to do?
2. How will you handle getting blamed for everything in 12 months time?
3. How will you deal with T-Boons constant emails?

Direct all traffic to a fake email account. Turn up the spam filter to 100%. Go to lunch & not come back.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So there was a phone call between Greenbald, V'l'a'n'd'y's and George which was the crunch point.

Greenbald wouldn't have leaked it. V'l'a'n'd'y's doesn't leak according to Kent. So that leaves George or that it's fiction.

my thoughts exactly, unless Kent was phone tapping you have wonder how much of this is just speculation,

ReddFelon

Juniors
So how well would you say their Vlad handled the drug scandal in the AFL?

Did the drug scandal stop them from successfully expanding into new regions, the continued expansion of schools programs and junior clubs, and the ownership of a 55,000 seater stadium?

So how well would you say their Vlad handled the drug scandal in the AFL?
Excatly
He was as crooked as can be .
Tried to get the fed Govt minister to make the whole drug thing go away .
Had a dodgy deal with the Vic cops to keep things quiet with player bahaviour .
Lol
The MOU had the cops telling the afl what happened .
& letting them handle it .
No way on Earth do I want this arsewipe near Rl .

gerg

Juniors
Excatly
He was as crooked as can be .
Tried to get the fed Govt minister to make the whole drug thing go away .
Had a dodgy deal with the Vic cops to keep things quiet with player bahaviour .
Lol
The MOU had the cops telling the afl what happened .
& letting them handle it .
No way on Earth do I want this arsewipe near Rl .

Didn't he also forewarn Essendon what was coming and suggest to them he would sweep it under the carpet? Then acted like a rabbit in the headlights when it all came to light and unravelled. Then quickly abandoned ship. Yeah we need that guy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely they are taking the pss?

Secretly, I reckon that the person the NRL or at least Peter V’landys want will be someone like Hugh Marks, the boss of Channel 9 who’s done a tremendous job for the Nine company,” Weidler said.
“I know I’ll get criticism because I work for Nine but I think secretly they want him or someone like him who’s as good an operator as he is.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...m_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_content=SocialFlow

PARRA_FAN

Coach
giphy.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
Todd Greenberg was philosophical about the end of his term as NRL CEO and said he was proud of his achievements in his first public appearance since stepping down on Monday.

Greenberg held an impromptu media conference at his home in Sydney on Wednesday morning, telling reporters it had been a wild ride and rugby league is brutal on and off the field but he still loves the game he's adored since he was a child.
The ARL Commission announced on Monday that he would be stepping down from the role he had held since March, 2016.

"There's a lot of things I'm proud of, certainly it's been a great privilege and honour to work in the game and serve as the CEO for as long as I have," he said.

"Certainly when I reflect on it, the advent of the women's game and the growth we've had with the NRLW, I hope to see that prosper in the years to come.

"Sitting at the 2017 grand final and watching Macklemore perform and I suppose see the inclusiveness of the sport portrayed was fantastic.
In more recent times I think the what the game has done around concussion protocols with players has been world class."

When asked about his critics, Greenberg said "my personal view is in a role like this, you always take criticism".

"I've said this on a number of occasions it's not a popularity contest and I understand that," he said.

"It's been a helluva journey, we've loved it, my family and I, we've made lifelong friendships. My wife and I have travelled the world and met people we'd never think we'd meet.

"The number of messages I've received in the last 48 hours has just been mind blowing. It's been a great journey but ultimately sport is a tough industry and rugby league is no different.

"I've said it before it's brutal on the field and more brutal off it. But that's OK, I've had a great a ride."
https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2...y-contest-greenberg-proud-of-time-as-nrl-ceo/

betcats

Referee
Handled his exit with class at least. I think his comments highlight the extravagance he really enjoyed. "my wife and I travelled the world and met people we never thought we'd meet" How is Macklemore a highlight for league? half the sports fans didn't even know who he was. You look at him buying a ring for Smiths wife as if she somehow deserved it and looking after GI and Burgess recently, he clearly had a hard for stars.

Edit: And don't get me started on the testimonial game for two certain stars, what a joke that shit was.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
For all his faults Greenberg will probably get another CEO role somewhere, i'm sure the ARU and A League will be circling him soon.
Kent will be stuck in his sweaty Surry Hills office next to Buzz and his 2 dozen empty Johnny Walker bottles scattered across his desk.