What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg stands down

YoHadrian

Juniors
A modern professional sports CEO has one job. To ensure a decent TV deal & to deal with the broadcasters.

That's it.
That's all.

Criticism about anything he may have done during his tenure doesn't mean a thing & doesn't matter one iota as to why he was pushed overboard.

Face it, broadcasters own the game & broadcasters own head office because the man that pays the piper calls the tune & Greenberg was pushed because he was threatening to walk off the dancefloor because he didn't want to dance to their tune anymore.

It's not rocket science.

betcats

Referee
A modern professional sports CEO has one job. To ensure a decent TV deal & to deal with the broadcasters.

That's it.
That's all.

Criticism about anything he may have done during his tenure doesn't mean a thing & doesn't matter one iota as to why he was pushed overboard.

Face it, broadcasters own the game & broadcasters own head office because the man that pays the piper calls the tune & Greenberg was pushed because he was threatening to walk off the dancefloor because he didn't want to dance to their tune anymore.

It's not rocket science.

What horseshit, his job was much bigger than just the TV deal, that simplification just makes it easier to blame the media.

His job is dealing with the clubs, salary cap, altering or not altering the product, scheduling the season,building the digital arm, making the game stronger at grassroots level, marketing the game and attracting sponsors, expansion or non expansion.... To say he only had one job is stupid as shit a CEO never just has one job.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yet the game is boring (well more boring than the 90's) and the refereeing is an all time low. Lets not mention the he has overseen a period where crowds aren't growing that much. Buck stops at the CEO

That's a nonsense, you don't get hounded out of your job for these reasons.

What has affected crowds is the constant negativity in the media which turns people off and damages the game's image.

People may even suggest the media ran a campaign to destabilise the game....surely not.

What cost Greenberg his job is he was getting in the way of News Ltd, Channel Nine and the clubs self interest....that's it in a nutshell.

The real question is will we ever be independent.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
V’landys has not said or done one thing that fills me with any confidence that he was the correct person for this job. If the reports are true and we are in fact negotiating a new tv deal at the figures being mooted, then he is as stupid as he sounds and looks.

The great news is we'll have a new deal by the weekend.

Imagine Greenberg did this, only took a week.

This is the new efficient administration we have.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

V’landys has not said or done one thing that fills me with any confidence that he was the correct person for this job. If the reports are true and we are in fact negotiating a new tv deal at the figures being mooted, then he is as stupid as he sounds and looks.

Dude can't even pronounce the acronym 'CEO', or do his tie up properly, or wear some tailored pants that aren't hanging from his ass

I mean seriously, if you can't do the f**king little things right mate...

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Perhaps they will. It’s a shit fight trying to get them to stop being self serving pricks hence why I don’t think much will change, but Vlandys has a great reputation and record and from all reports he is a very good operator, I’m happy to give him the benefit.

This is what the media keep telling us.

I actually think V'landys won't stick around once all this change has gone through. What happened to Greenberg was always planned with or without Carona virus. Greenberg was an obstacle to the clubs and media agendas as he DID have the whole of game interests at heart. It is telling V'landys hasn't given up his role as CEO of racing and the media isn't questioning if he will or the amateur look it gives of him running the game out of NSW racing like a sideshow.

YoHadrian

Juniors
What horseshit, his job was much bigger than just the TV deal, that simplification just makes it easier to blame the media.

His job is dealing with the clubs, salary cap, altering or not altering the product, scheduling the season,building the digital arm, making the game stronger at grassroots level, marketing the game and attracting sponsors, expansion or non expansion.... To say he only had one job is stupid as shit a CEO never just has one job.

Of course, but it's the only one that matters to the people that forced him out.

All of those reasons you listed don't even come close the reason he's now mowing the lawn in the middle of the day in his trakky daks.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
my thoughts exactly, unless Kent was phone tapping you have wonder how much of this is just speculation,

V'landys leaks to Kent I have no doubt. This is what these News Ltd mouthpieces want a direct line to the main man at the NRL, something Smith and Greenberg didn't do.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Did the drug scandal stop them from successfully expanding into new regions, the continued expansion of schools programs and junior clubs, and the ownership of a 55,000 seater stadium?

It was an example of how well Smith did things. He was a huge loss to rugby league. He would have given me great confidence in the current crises with his financial knowledge. It's telling News Ltd wanted him out, that says it all.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Surely they are taking the pss?

Secretly, I reckon that the person the NRL or at least Peter V’landys want will be someone like Hugh Marks, the boss of Channel 9 who’s done a tremendous job for the Nine company,” Weidler said.
“I know I’ll get criticism because I work for Nine but I think secretly they want him or someone like him who’s as good an operator as he is.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...m_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_content=SocialFlow

Interested to read in that article Marks wants the funds directed into club footy, funny how nine have never cared before. Particularly when Gallop ran the game on 20 cents.

Would I be too cynical in saying this may have something to do with the NRL's digital arm. How about Nine and News take that over and all the money going into that ($20 million plus a season plus staff) can go to the clubs, see problem solved.

Threat averted.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade

That's it.
That's all.

It's not rocket science.

Why people can't see this is beyond me. Swallowing the media agenda is naive.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Yes, and he was doing or trying to do that in the face of a hostile media scared of losing their interests and clubs (hello Roosters) who want more power.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
i will admit i havent been following this one as closely as others. I have noticed lately Gould talking in his usual riddles about why Greenberg got sacked.

It always seems to circle back to giving clubs more power. Can someone explain to me what that even means, what power do the clubs want that they dont currently have or conversely what power do the NRL not want to give them? Dots aren't connecting for me..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Handled his exit with class at least. I think his comments highlight the extravagance he really enjoyed. "my wife and I travelled the world and met people we never thought we'd meet" How is Macklemore a highlight for league? half the sports fans didn't even know who he was. You look at him buying a ring for Smiths wife as if she somehow deserved it and looking after GI and Burgess recently, he clearly had a hard for stars.

Edit: And don't get me started on the testimonial game for two certain stars, what a joke that shit was.
Mackelmerkin playing at a GF is one of his greatest achievements????

And people are blowing up he is gone??? Really?? Lol oh dear!!

T-Boon

Coach
It always seems to circle back to giving clubs more power. Can someone explain to me what that even means, what power do the clubs want that they dont currently have or conversely what power do the NRL not want to give them? Dots aren't connecting for me..

The clubs want more of the revenue (all of it really). So that they can give themselves pay rises. They don't want any money spent on the development of the game as a whole.

T-Boon

Coach
Mackelmerkin playing at a GF is one of his greatest achievements????

And people are blowing up he is gone??? Really?? Lol oh dear!!

I suspect he means this is symbolic of his efforts to promote the game to new markets. He did some good things, or at least was around while some good things happened.

As an example the NRL clubs would never have considered a women's competition without the NRL telling them it is happening. The NRL clubs are total knuckle draggers who still don't get the point of a women's game at all. They don't understand marketing, promoting, politics, or any of that stuff. They don't understand memberships and got dragged into that against their will. I mean, the list goes on.

betcats

Referee
Of course, but it's the only one that matters to the people that forced him out.

All of those reasons you listed don't even come close the reason he's now mowing the lawn in the middle of the day in his trakky daks.

Very possibly true but I’ve had the opinion for a while that he isn’t good at his job. I think head of football was a stretch for him let alone running the game. As head of football his pet project was the bunker which cost millions and changed nothing. Why he got promoted after that is mind boggling.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why people can't see this is beyond me. Swallowing the media agenda is naive.

There's two biggies at play; Fox wanting rid of the digital arm and Ch9 wanting to reduce its costs and get an extension to secure NRL at a cut price rate. Anyone who cant see these are the two things that are currently driving the direction of the game must be pretty short sighted. It is another SL war all over again but this time the TV channels have banded together rather than fighting each other. Murdoch said he would do everything in his power to make AFL the number one game in Australia, and here we are.

Vlandys is just the man to deliver for the channels it would seem, I would also question what are the other commissioners doing in all this? They all have as much decision making power as Vlandys, they are all culpable in whatever comes out of this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very possibly true but I’ve had the opinion for a while that he isn’t good at his job. I think head of football was a stretch for him let alone running the game. As head of football his pet project was the bunker which cost millions and changed nothing. Why he got promoted after that is mind boggling.

You must have a short memory if you dont remember VR life before the bunker with its 16 replays and 5min decision making!

Latest posts