What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Probably doesn’t want to lose more popularity. Was strongly against and now she is backing it.
I'm just after the full article. It's important to know how much NSW and Qld state government backing the NRL have for a May 28 return.

I don't recall Palaszczuk being 'strongly against' the idea, but happy to be shown otherwise.

I recall she deferred decisions on this to the state's Chief Medical Officer - that should be a more plausible explanation for her comments, then and now.

As far as I know, Fittler has been critical of her stance. IMO, Freddy isn't qualified to talk about such things. I choose to listen to medical experts.

So have I missed anything?

King hit

Coach
I'm just after the full article. It's important to know how much NSW and Qld state government backing the NRL have for a May 28 return.

I don't recall Palaszczuk being 'strongly against' the idea, but happy to be shown otherwise.

I recall she deferred decisions on this to the state's Chief Medical Officer - that should be a more plausible explanation for her comments, then and now.

As far as I know, Fittler has been critical of her stance. IMO, Freddy isn't qualified to talk about such things. I choose to listen to medical experts.

So have I missed anything?
She was really strongly against having Queensland clubs leave interstate because of concerns. Just completely hypocritical after she was fine with forcing millions to line up and vote at the height of public concern.

Perth Red

Post Whore
*Deleted*

Far too early to say if Sweden's herd immunity experiment has worked. They are tracking higher deaths and infections than their neighbors now and so the only chance of success is if they come out of it earlier than the other countries. If its worth letting thousands of people die to get it over with quicker is an interesting ethics v economics debate I suppose, if in fact they do get over it quicker and they haven't just set themselves up for lots of pain to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

GongPanther

Referee
'Nothing to see here': Police clear Dockers over house party

Fremantle players Luke Ryan, Michael Frederick and Jason Carter have escaped police prosecution but the trio still face club sanctions after attending a house party.

The Dockers are investigating the actions of the three players after they appeared in a video posted to social media while coronavirus restrictions were in place.

"I'm not going to waste valuable police time, we've made an assessment, there's nothing to see here in terms of any breach," WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson told 6PR radio on Thursday.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/no...dockers-over-house-party-20200430-p54on3.html

So those AFL players in a video have nothing to answer to as far as punishment from the AFL commission?

EDIT: Here is the vid

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/f...m/news-story/e737cce2255c45670890fca5fd9f7b2a

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Please NO! 3 weeks without the NRL bang in the middle of our season...do you want to give rival codes a leg up anymore?

I actually agree with Walters. If Origin works post season this year, keep it there. There is no distractions to clubs and we keep the NRL season running all year.

Do you really think NRL viewers are going to flick over to watch AFL club games rather than sit and watch Origin and Internationals? The schedule suggested gives 3 good quality FTA rep RL games a week the same as a NRL regular round would. Pray do tell how you think it will give them a "leg up"?

sup42

Juniors
*Deleted*
Covid 2 is not the Flu. Comparing it to the Flu without seeing the full picture is an all too common problem unfortunately.

It will not go away when the seasons change. Covid is already overwhelming health care systems around the world during all four seasons.

So it will not go away. It is here to stay for two years minimum. At least until a Vaccine is developed or highly effect therapies.

People keep hanging their hopes on a Vaccine at eighteen months, consider this, even if you have a Vaccine today, distribution and coverage will not be possible in time to have any impact on this current outbreak. It is too far gone.
Also, when we have this Vaccine, ideally in eighteen months, how long do you think it would take to vaccinate say twelve million people? (fifty percent coverage for a herd immunity base)

People don't understand that this thing will keep killing, it does not have a season.

I have stated this elsewhere, however for your benefit. Sweden is in the early stages of their curve.

It is not going away. In fact even in countries like Mine and yours, that have really tight controls of Covid....even after the graphs fall to under ten cases (New Zealand) there is a long and persistent tail that keeps throwing up cases.

Our shut down in New Zealand was among the strictest. It was initially for four weeks. The thinking was that this radical step for this twenty eight day period, is long enough to give the disease two full cycles (fourteen day cycles) of absolute strict isolation, would be enough to eradicate the virus.

One Cluster that is being closely studied from a School in Auckland is still producing new cases more than one full month after everyone in that cluster was in monitored isolation.

That Cluster is being studied by Scientists to make a break through in understanding why Covid, even with apparent tight controls has not died off after two full cycles.

This thing is nothing like the FLu,

I agree with you on one principle, we should be watching Sweden, however the story is not near its end there or anywhere else, keep watching, this pandemic is just getting warmed up.

Fortunately the ANZAC countries are in a strong position to avoid a bad outcome. But if you opened the flood gates, you are agreeing to kill o
thousands of citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFrog

Coach
what $$$ can get u hey..

Ugliest man in league since Toni Carroll and 5 blondes on his lap....
Money is sexy and fame even more so.

I remember seeing Ted Mulry, all 5 ft 1 of him and ugly as a hatful of dogs dicks, in the Manzil Room smothered in lush tush.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
She was really strongly against having Queensland clubs leave interstate because of concerns. Just completely hypocritical after she was fine with forcing millions to line up and vote at the height of public concern.
The council elections? That's an entirely separate issue. Sorry mate, but was looking for something more specific to the topic at hand. Still can't find anything where she was 'strongly against' the return of RL (ie apart from the health advice)?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Do you really think NRL viewers are going to flick over to watch AFL club games rather than sit and watch Origin and Internationals? The schedule suggested gives 3 good quality FTA rep RL games a week the same as a NRL regular round would. Pray do tell how you think it will give them a "leg up"?

International’s are for post season. The schedule just gives 3 Origin games. More people will zone out during those 3 weeks and just wait for the Origin. Just play after the Grand Final, allows the NRL season to go on and then we get our Origin fix after the season in a time where there are no other sports on in this country.

'Nothing to see here': Police clear Dockers over house party

Fremantle players Luke Ryan, Michael Frederick and Jason Carter have escaped police prosecution but the trio still face club sanctions after attending a house party.

The Dockers are investigating the actions of the three players after they appeared in a video posted to social media while coronavirus restrictions were in place.

"I'm not going to waste valuable police time, we've made an assessment, there's nothing to see here in terms of any breach," WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson told 6PR radio on Thursday.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/no...dockers-over-house-party-20200430-p54on3.html

So those AFL players in a video have nothing to answer to as far as punishment from the AFL commission?

EDIT: Here is the vid

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/f...m/news-story/e737cce2255c45670890fca5fd9f7b2a

Of course. Only RL is held to a loftier standard.

Someone should ask Gladys how this affects AFLs chances of having a hub or even starting in NSW.

I know Peter Fitzsimmons will keep the bastards honest in the interests of journalistic impartiality and integrity.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No it wouldn’t be a nightmare it would be a dream. There would be only 3 games that many worry about. These Oceania matches should be post season. The thing that stuffs the season is the non continuity. NRL then finals then Origin. It just makes sense.

Have you seen the media coverage during Origin? It blankets the sporting media, three weeks in a row of that would have Rugby League as the main headline / leading story for three weeks running. The Swans, GWS, Waratahs, Lions, Suns and Reds would have no chance of getting any sort of decent coverage during that time in NSW and QLD and RL news would be making waves in the AFL states too as Origin tends to do.

taipan

Referee
Amazing.Channel 9 and the Sydney Morning Herald state the players are in revolt over pay and training.
Clint Newton RLPA head on ch7 said live there is no revolt whatsoever over pay or conditions.

Channel 9 stretching the truth to reduce the length of the season and Tv payout? Not like them is it ,LOL.

BadnMean

Juniors
Far too early to say if Sweden's herd immunity experiment has worked. They are tracking higher deaths and infections than their neighbors now and so the only chance of success is if they come out of it earlier than the other countries. If its worth letting thousands of people die to get it over with quicker is an interesting ethics v economics debate I suppose, if in fact they do get over it quicker and they haven't just set themselves up for lots of pain to come.

They are also picking up pace in infections & death rate. Their death rate is now higher than the USA, has jumped 15 deaths per million each of the last couple of days running, leaving them on track to reach France/UK levels in a week or two if this keeps up. Considering they had an extra month to prep graced to them by relative distance & isolation I'd say if they end up there & then have to lockdown it'd be a royal stuff up.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Have you seen the media coverage during Origin? It blankets the sporting media, three weeks in a row of that would have Rugby League as the main headline / leading story for three weeks running. The Swans, GWS, Waratahs, Lions, Suns and Reds would have no chance of getting any sort of decent coverage during that time in NSW and QLD and RL news would be making waves in the AFL states too as Origin tends to do.

It would be even bigger after the season. AFL season is finished. Literally nothing to watch other than Origin or overseas sports which would be on at different times. Play it after the season. It’s bad enough stopping the NRL for a week let alone 3 weeks and some meh International games aren’t NRL games. I watch any sport but I’d be dead set struggling to watch some Oceania test match that I care little about.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Of course. Only RL is held to a loftier standard.

Someone should ask Gladys how this affects AFLs chances of having a hub or even starting in NSW.

I know Peter Fitzsimmons will keep the bastards honest in the interests of journalistic impartiality and integrity.

Ah yes, of course, the fine and four week suspension handed out to the idiot AFL player crashing his car is holding a lower standard to the NRL idiots punishment?

The wet lettuce leaf the NRL blockheads were hit with clearly indicates a strong message the NRL holds itself as a high integrity organization.

Saxon

Bench
Covid 2 is not the Flu. Comparing it to the Flu without seeing the full picture is an all too common problem unfortunately.

It will not go away when the seasons change. Covid is already overwhelming health care systems around the world during all four seasons.

So it will not go away. It is here to stay for two years minimum. At least until a Vaccine is developed or highly effect therapies.

People keep hanging their hopes on a Vaccine at eighteen months, consider this, even if you have a Vaccine today, distribution and coverage will not be possible in time to have any impact on this current outbreak. It is too far gone.
Also, when we have this Vaccine, ideally in eighteen months, how long do you think it would take to vaccinate say twelve million people? (fifty percent coverage for a herd immunity base)

People don't understand that this thing will keep killing, it does not have a season.

I have stated this elsewhere, however for your benefit. Sweden is in the early stages of their curve.

It is not going away. In fact even in countries like Mine and yours, that have really tight controls of Covid....even after the graphs fall to under ten cases (New Zealand) there is a long and persistent tail that keeps throwing up cases.

Our shut down in New Zealand was among the strictest. It was initially for four weeks. The thinking was that this radical step for this twenty eight day period, is long enough to give the disease two full cycles (fourteen day cycles) of absolute strict isolation, would be enough to eradicate the virus.

One Cluster that is being closely studied from a School in Auckland is still producing new cases more than one full month after everyone in that cluster was in monitored isolation.

That Cluster is being studied by Scientists to make a break through in understanding why Covid, even with apparent tight controls has not died off after two full cycles.

This thing is nothing like the FLu,

I agree with you on one principle, we should be watching Sweden, however the story is not near its end there or anywhere else, keep watching, this pandemic is just getting warmed up.

Fortunately the ANZAC countries are in a strong position to avoid a bad outcome. But if you opened the flood gates, you are agreeing to kill o
thousands of citizens.
Don't waste your time Sup. T-Boon has Anti-Vaxxer written all over him.

Latest posts