What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

SBD82

Coach
Mormans and Jehovah Witnesses are not anti vaxx? In fact the Church of Latter day Saints provide funding for vaccination programs.
I’ve always understood that due to an interpretation of a bible passage JWs are anti blood transfusion. That includes tetanus shots for some reason related to the way it is made.

Not sure how that relates to vaccines. But there are certainly some teachings in JW that preclude various medical procedures.

Valheru

Coach
I could not be more disappointed in Sia, Papalii and Tapine for their stance on this.
It completely bucks science and the physical toll the game takes will leave them far more damaged than any flu shot will

But fine, you dont want it, dont get it and just sign the f**king waiver accepting you're at greater risk. That's the choice you made and if you dont believe in science, and therefore dont believe you're at greater risk, then why do you care if you sign a document saying you're at greater risk

Papalii and Tapine is not surprising, those guys... to be perfectly frank, at not the sharpest knives in the draw.
Sia Soliola that's where im genuinely upset at his involvement. I had held him in the highest esteem possible for a raiders player. Tough, hard, uncompromising footballer with a ton of skill, who does it the right way with hard work, and was maybe the best off field leader and role model the club has had since Ruben Wiki.

My opinions on him have dropped precipitously

I actually don't care if they don't get the shot which makes me in the minority here.

But yeah, why not just sign the waiver as not getting the shot does make you more likely to contract the flu.

unforgiven

Bench
I’ve always understood that due to an interpretation of a bible passage JWs are anti blood transfusion. That includes tetanus shots for some reason related to the way it is made.

Not sure how that relates to vaccines. But there are certainly some teachings in JW that preclude various medical procedures.
I didn't say they aren't against some medical procedures but they aren't anti vaccines. In the 30's through to the 50's they were but they now have literature that promotes vaccinations. Of course like in any group there will be people that are anti vaccinations and it may be a little more prevalent in the Jehovah Witness community due to their history of being anti vaccine, though to say Jehovah Witnesses are anti vaxxers is just untrue.

unforgiven

Bench
I actually don't care if they don't get the shot which makes me in the minority here.

But yeah, why not just sign the waiver as not getting the shot does make you more likely to contract the flu.

The Premier has said this morning that if it is the NRL's biosecurity plan for all players to receive flu shots then all players will need to receive one to compete.

Canard

Immortal

Can I ask why you you don't care?

Canard

Immortal
The Premier has said this morning that if it is the NRL's biosecurity plan for all players to receive flu shots then all players will need to receive one to compete.

Which will mirror all other workforce's return to work plans (when this happens), any breach of the plan
will result in people being sent home (usually without pay if not illness related).

Valheru

Coach
Can I ask why you you don't care?

Because I don't think players or any worker really that doesn't regularly interact with more vulnerable people as part of their job should be forced to get it.

This is specific to the flu shot, no issues with children being excluded from daycare if not up to date etc.

That's not to say I don't see where the NRL are coming from. If it were me I would just get it but I don't think we should be forcing adults to do so.

TheFrog

Coach
Which will mirror all other workforce's return to work plans (when this happens), any breach of the plan
will result in people being sent home (usually without pay if not illness related).
If there's a bargaining agreement or other contract to this effect registered, by all means, but it's a legal minefield otherwise.

Vee

First Grade
Big Mal needs to get Bryce in and have a little chat along these lines:

Now Bryce, you're on a pretty good wicket here at the Titans. You've got a year and a bit (or whatever it is) to go on your contract and we'll pay you until the last day, flu jab or not, play or not. But I want you to know that not only will your next contract wherever that might be will be worth substantially less than your current one, I'm talking seriously less mate, since you are only barely a first grader these days, but it will have a clause in it that you must get vaccinated whenever the club deem it necessary. Now I know you have your principles, but what skills do you have outside this sport? Maybe your granddad Merv taught you how to lay bricks? How many do you think you'll have to lay to make a quarter of what you are making now? Just how will you feed those two lovely children of yours? Now roll up your sleeve son.
"...barely a first grader these days..." is a stretch IMO.

Mr Parramatta

Juniors
Why are people acting as if it's surprising that kooky fundamentalists are refusing to get vaccinated?

I'm more surprised that nobody predicted something that, in hindsight, seems so predictable. With all the Mormon, Jehovah's witnesses, etc, islanders in the game we should have seen it coming.
What? like this pandemic, it’s a non issue, this is life and death, no vaccs no play, they can stick with their faith and the nrl with their protocols!!

BadnMean

Juniors
What turnips. Objecting to the wording of the contract. Idiots.

If they are such special snowflakes they cannot for one moment put their pen to that paper in good conscience then ok, work on the sabbath either. And they may have to revisit Leviticus....

Leviticus 19:27 "You shall not make any gashes in your flesh for the dead or tattoo any marks upon you." i mean that is pretty clear cut but all 3 sport tatts...

If it costs us a premiership it sux but so be it. They can sit out and see how much they like laying bricks and staying holy. I'd say the same if 3 jokers from any other club had done it it so I'll say the same for these three. Sit them down.

TheFrog

Coach
Leviticus 19:27 "You shall not make any gashes in your flesh for the dead or tattoo any marks upon you." i mean that is pretty clear cut but all 3 sport tatts...
Not sure of the connection with these players, but I can tell you that Leviticus is from the Old Testament and the edicts contained therein applied to the Children of Israel, ie Jews, but with the formation of the Christian church in the early centuries AD and the making of the New Covenant of Jesus (in the book of Acts), most edicts found in the old testament do not apply to modern Christians. Tattoos would be included in this provided they are not "graven images" ie images of false objects of worship.

shear_joy9

Coach
Guess we will find out how strong their faith is if "no jab no play" is enforced and then no play, no pay.

I'm guessing if that happens some church leader will come out and give the players an exception allowing them to be vaccinated so their donations to the church can continue.