What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Correct, just because you don't like one of the outcomes of your choice doesn't make the choice disappear.
There' was a similar argument from some smokers when they were denied their freedom to smoke inside restaurants. Although I don't think they pushed their case hard enough.

Discussion with a smoker from years ago...

"It's my choice"
"Yeah, but I'm breathing in that smoke too."
"So what? I'm not charging you anything for it!"

Modern anti-vaxxer version....

"It's my body."
"Yeah, but you're spreading a disease."
"So what? I'm not charging you anything for it! Here... read this thing I saw on the internet. It will change your whole view on the world. It's the only truth, the government is out to get you and... and... Hey, where did you go?"

TheFrog

Coach
I used to work in the CC Industry and it wasn’t compulsory for a flu shot. It was offered but not compulsory.
On the flip side I’m 99% sure any enrolled children had to be up to date with injections etc. obviously different to a flu shot but still...
Yep child care asks to see the child's immunisation record. You don't have to get a flu shot though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wasn’t disagreeing with your post. My thoughts were that our boys make it easy for the detractors. Didn’t know Crows pics made it to social media, either.
No worries. But it was the Freemantle players video I referred to. That's OK if you missed it, it was brushed aside pretty quickly

Just look at the latest big sporting news. It's not about the Crows team being investigated for breaking social distancing laws during training. It's about a handful of NRL players not wanting their flu shots. The AFL and their Adelaide club have clearly stuffed up with their protocols, which should be more worrying.

Just like last week with the Lachie Hunter incident. Apparently Mitchell and Addo-Carr going dirt bike riding and shooting at logs was more newsworthy than Hunter's partying, drinking, driving and smashing up some cars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’re still talking about a numpty player not getting a jab when the exciting news that we might be going back to one ref has broken?
Having two refs has done nothing for the game here imo. Touchies will need some retraining on what their actual jobs are but good news if it happens.
Now let’s dump the VR for anything except for the act of putting the ball down over the try line!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not the point I was making.

And what difference does it make anyway? The AFL boys partying in WA made it to video on social media. But it got very little coverage and the police let them off the hook, ironically blaming the media.

im suspecting they don’t have a photo of the specific players involved so just went with a generic players photo and chopped their heads off. If only the players Involved had broadcast it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not the point I was making.

And what difference does it make anyway? The AFL boys partying in WA made it to video on social media. But it got very little coverage and the police let them off the hook, ironically blaming the media.

it was front page in the city it effected. Guess what the camping trip made an inch of news three pages from the back in the west australian. You don’t seem to understand that newspapers in different cities have different priorities lol. Only time nrl has made front page in the West was the storm scandal and state of origin when played here.

Canard

Immortal
You’re still talking about a numpty player not getting a jab when the exciting news that we might be going back to one ref has broken?
Having two refs has done nothing for the game here imo. Touchies will need some retraining on what their actual jobs are but good news if it happens.
Now let’s dump the VR for anything except for the act of putting the ball down over the try line!

I don't support it for 2020 at least.

It will favour the wrestling teams far to much.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The problem with catching the flu, or even a minor sniffle, is that it must be assumed to be C-19 until testing takes place, which means all manner of isolation of not only the player but everyone they've been in contact with. You can just imagine the media hysteria when this happens. Flu shots won't even stop this happening but they might reduce the likelihood a bit.

Having the flu vaccination doesn’t stop you from catching a cold and by this logic, if a player does, they would also be assumed to have Covid-19, same for a bacterial infection.

Again if the NRL feels that the environment the players are in won’t prevent them from catching the flu, it won’t prevent them from catching Covid-19.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
This has been explained to you numerous times, but the flu reduces your immune system which increases your chances of catching corona, and increases your chances of having a more severe case. You keep ignoring facts presented to you, makes you sound like an ignorant anti-vaxxer!

Sorry mate but what you are saying is wrong, strength of immune system is irrelevant to catching Covid-19. This is because the bodies immune system cannot detect it as it has never been exposed to it. The symptoms don’t appear on average until 5 days after catching it and the body only realises after this point.

What is true is that the strength of the immune system is important in the recovery. In short having a flu injection will have zero effect on improving your chances of not catching Covid-19. In isolation these guys are ill informed and idiotic for not having the flu injection but it won’t increase the risk to team mates of catching Covid-19 or the flu.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...tting-flu-shot-help-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Willow

Assistant Moderator
im suspecting they don’t have a photo of the specific players involved so just went with a generic players photo and chopped their heads off. If only the players Involved had broadcast it.
Yeah I said that earlier in another post. It'll be a stock photo. Much like the articles, stock standard. Still, no names of players, no media pile on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
it was front page in the city it effected. Guess what the camping trip made an inch of news three pages from the back in the west australian. You don’t seem to understand that newspapers in different cities have different priorities lol. Only time nrl has made front page in the West was the storm scandal and state of origin when played here.
I don't buy newspapers, don't even look at their headlines in the diminishing service station paper racks. Only read national and international stuff online and watch national news and international news broadcasts on the box.

You're stuck in a backwater and still read the local rags for your fix. But you are important. You are our guy in the west, we rely on you to give us a 20th Century insight into what we used to call 'news'.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I don't support it for 2020 at least.

It will favour the wrestling teams far to much.
I support it.

Had the good fortune of watching some League in England a few years ago. I've seen it on TV as well but seeing one ref again while actually at the game made me miss it all the more. It does change the dynamics. More free-flowing, less orchestrated... dare I say, a tad more anarchy.

I fully understand the idea that refs make mistakes and there's a logic to having two refs to reduce those mistakes, but the game isn't about the refs.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I support it.

Had the good fortune of watching some League in England a few years ago. I see on TV as well but seeing one ref again while actually at the game made me miss it all the more. It does change the dynamics. More free-flowing, less orchestrated... dare I say, a tad more anarchy.

I fully understand the idea that refs make mistakes and there's a logic to having two refs to reduce those mistakes, but the game isn't about the refs.

Agree, and ‘also don’t have different interpretations by the two refs or them trying to outdo each other and justifying why they are on the field

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't buy newspapers, don't even look at their headlines in the diminishing service station paper racks. Only read national and international stuff online and watch national news and international news broadcasts on the box.

You're stuck in a backwater and still read the local rags for your fix. But you are important. You are our guy in the west, we rely on you to give us a 20th Century insight into what we used to call 'news'.

neither do I, I read them whilst waiting for my coffee every morning. So what news are you talking about because the camping trip never made any of the perth news tv shows whilst the laidley arrest has been on every night since it broke and the dockers players curfew story made lead.You know, local news that people are interested in.
Me thinks your tin foil hat needs replacing.

Vee

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/08/back-to-one-ref-vlandys-on-board-with-project-apollo-proposal/[/QUOTE]
Coaches warn of ‘disastrous’ consequences over plan to revert to one-ref system
Manly coach Des Hasler has shot down Project Apollo’s proposal to revert to one referee and eliminate ruck penalties, saying it could be disastrous.

On Friday the NRL’s Project Apollo discussed dropping from two referees to one for the resumed competition on May 28, as well as restarting the tackle count instead of awarding a penalty for ruck infringements.

The ARLC are expected to endorse the changes at their meeting next week. On Saturday morning Hasler joined several NRL coaches in warning the game of making policy on the run, which would impact the integrity of the revised competition.

“I don’t think we should so anything which changes the structure of the season so far,” he said.

“We’ve been very respectful of not going to two conferences and making these changes.

“Let’s liken it to a couple of years ago where they were giving two or three penalties on the tryline and then someone goes to the bin.

“That didn’t work, I thought that was disastrous.

“Decisions like that need to be really thought out and they need to be systemised and they need to be not made on the run, let’s call it making policy on the run.”

Hasler said reverting to one referee would impact how the ruck is controlled if they are marking the 10 metres and warned against using touch judges to help police it.

“And please, no touch judges, I don’t think touch judges do a great job as it is now,” he said.

“I certainly don’t want to see touch judges running in or marking the 10.

“We see what a touch judge called in the Nines. We saw that touch judge’s call and what they did to Penrith.”

On Friday NRL coaches Paul Green, Paul McGregor and Justin Holbrook also voiced their concern over changes to the rules with just 19 days to go until the season restarts.

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson sits on the Project Apollo committee and said there should be healthy debate before introducing new rules. His personal opinion is to keep two referees with one dominant referee, and says any rule change made to the ruck would have a significant impact on the game. He said the integrity of the competition is also worth considering given two games have already been played under one set of rules.

“You need to weigh out the positives and the negatives about it, and that’s a negative about it,” he said.

“The positives of it are definitely a financial one, possibly, people have talked about the purity of the game coming back with one referee. “The reason not to do it will be the ruck will have less eyes on it, more exploitation of the wrestle in the ruck. I could go on for the next 10 minutes about the for and against, and that’s what we should be doing. “We should be having that debate and having it quickly because we’ve got a competition to start in three weeks.”