What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

franklin2323

Immortal
Very strawman of you. It doesnt need to be the size of netflix to give NRL a better and more secure revenue. It needs around 800k subscribers paying $20 a month. The way to achieve that is to increase the games popularity and following.

Again who will pay that? Kayo works due to a mix of sports

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would pay it because I love Rugby League, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Kayo only costs me $12 a month and has a lot of other sport as well.

I doubt that is sustainable for Fox, Id expect Kayo price point to be around $20-25 eventually. And if KAYO doesnt have NRL then RL fans wont be paying anything for it.

Who would pay it? RL fans maybe? Just a guess lol.
$20 a month to see all NRL games, SL games and other comps, plus be able to access massive historic library of games and features is pretty good value. Its half the price of going to one game. With streaing now adays being as it is you can cheaply and easily stream all sorts of games. I watched a number of SG ball games live this year that were great to watch and decent enough quality.

TheFrog

Coach
If the NRL/REFs stuck with that we would be in a way better position than we are now in that the coaches would have eventually got the message and we would be seeing better attack and more tries because they would be less likely to do the dirty red zone infringements they do.

Gould is ALWAYS wrong.
If I want more tries I'll watch touch footy. It's the flow of the game and the balance between defence and attack, and the way continual stoppages favours less fit sides. This was brought in at the whim of one man without consulting anyone and as such was always going to be a f**k up. Anyway PR asked for my opinion and I gave it, and thanks for giving yours.

Canard

Immortal
Yeah I said that earlier in another post. It'll be a stock photo. Much like the articles, stock standard. Still, no names of players, no media pile on.

What about this one? Ex-North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley has been getting the "woe is me" treatment from the Melbourne press for a week or so now, with the majority of it focusing on the police leak and/or his mental health (which in itself is very judgmental)

Yet it turns out he was a stalking aggressive arsehole

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ive-messages-court-hears-20200511-p54rug.html

I couldn't see that sort of salon ride being given to any ex-NRL player or coach by the press.

betcats

Referee
Very strawman of you. It doesnt need to be the size of netflix to give NRL a better and more secure revenue. It needs around 800k subscribers paying $20 a month. The way to achieve that is to increase the games popularity and following.

Look at the comment I responded too im not giving a serious response to that rubbish. It still boggles my mind people want to mention Netflix, its not relevant at all.

As for your comment, Good luck getting 800k people to sign up to pay 20 a month. Anything is possible but getting 800k subscribers to pay 20 a month is extremely unlikely, but maybe if they chuck the French domestic comp on there it will get them over the line.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
channel 9 didn't want to show the grand final replay cause its the Raiders, f**k they are merkins.

Such a valuable asset to the game ....
The article fairly clearly states they had to choose their games before the finals.

Granted, the Raiders would have been good to pick even then, but they wouldn't have known it was a GF rematch.

big hit!

Bench
What about this one? Ex-North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley has been getting the "woe is me" treatment from the Melbourne press for a week or so now, with the majority of it focusing on the police leak and/or his mental health (which in itself is very judgmental)

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ive-messages-court-hears-20200511-p54rug.html

I couldn't see that sort of salon ride being given to any ex-NRL player or coach by the press.

the 'woe is rugby league' shit on here is worse.

Timmah

Staff member

This is an odd take.

The stalking revelations came out today, and I think public opinion tide is now turning.

Prior to that if they didn't want him to get the 'woe is me' treatment, maybe the police officer involved shouldn't have been such a dickhead?

It's an odd timeline where you claim he's given a saloon ride when the facts aren't yet known.

Timmah

Staff member
Look at the comment I responded too im not giving a serious response to that rubbish. It still boggles my mind people want to mention Netflix, its not relevant at all.

As for your comment, Good luck getting 800k people to sign up to pay 20 a month. Anything is possible but getting 800k subscribers to pay 20 a month is extremely unlikely, but maybe if they chuck the French domestic comp on there it will get them over the line.
Acquiring PL rights single-handedly gave Optus Sport its footing in Australia. If you think getting a streaming company, existing or startup, wouldn't be a good fit for RL, you're delusional.

big hit!

Bench
I have to agree with you. They'd rather show say their pet teams play, even when you can tell before hand it is likely to be a slaughter (as one team is in far better form than the other) or it s a cellar dwellar battle than a GF replay. Nine could not pick a winner in a one horse race in my book.

their pet teams give them more eyeballs. more eyeballs mean they can charge higher for ad slots. selling ad slots is how an FTA TV network generates its revenue.

there seems to be this belief that a nine pays hundreds of millions of $$$ per year to show games with surplus money that has been sitting in kerry packers bellevue hill compound vault for the last 40 years.

if you don't like the games Nine picks to broadcast, your beef should be with the comp admin who gives them this control in the first place. this control was given up so Nine pay more, Nine attempt to maximise its return with higher audience share, and the NRL can piss away greater sums than it otherwise would have to piss away.

Last edited:

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
This is an odd take.

The stalking revelations came out today, and I think public opinion tide is now turning.

Prior to that if they didn't want him to get the 'woe is me' treatment, maybe the police officer involved shouldn't have been such a dickhead?

It's an odd timeline where you claim he's given a saloon ride when the facts aren't yet known.
This whole thing came about because he/she was arrested and charged with those things. Pretty sure its been known for the entirety

unforgiven

Bench
This is an odd take.

Stalking claims were in the paper the day after he was arrested, that is what he was arrested for?

unforgiven

Bench
Acquiring PL rights single-handedly gave Optus Sport its footing in Australia. If you think getting a streaming company, existing or startup, wouldn't be a good fit for RL, you're delusional.
Agreed 100%! Pay tv in Australia has always relied on live sport for survival, this will not change as they move across to streaming services. Look at the success of Kayo in its relative short lifespan. To be successful in streaming you need to provide exclusive content, sport is king in this area as a sport cannot be replaced by similar content. Someone isn’t going to watch AFL instead because that is all that the service they are connected to provides, they will subscribe to whoever has the NRL. Not many shows have this pulling power, it is really only the shows the level of Game of Thrones etc that can drive subscriptions single handedly. That is what the NRL provides, people will join a service for that product alone.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It wont be luck, it will be growing the games fanbase and giving them content they want, how they want it at a price point they are happy with. You think Fox are going to continue to be able to pay $200mill plus a year for NRL when everyone has dumped their satellite for streaming services at a fraction of the price? The end is nigh. Get in front of it or end up like taxis.

franklin2323

Immortal
I would pay it because I love Rugby League, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Kayo only costs me $12 a month and has a lot of other sport as well.

Would enought people buy it too cover the loss of Fox and production costs? The site should stream games internationally but not viable to do that here?

franklin2323

Immortal
I will pay for just NRL.

Not $25, is the point.

Have little interest in the other content.

Never watch FTA, except SoO as I have too.

Adding what it costs for production need to clear $200m a year from streaming off the site. I don’t see that happening... doesn’t mean they shouldn’t run the site just limits the potential