1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Coronavirus and NRL

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Knight76, Mar 2, 2020.

1. big hit!

big hit! Bench

Nine are selecting the games that will maximise their revenue. They are obviously putting Canterbury games on because more folks keep on tuning into their games. And it makes sense - they have one of the largest support bases in the comp. Same as Brisbane, same as Parra, same as Souths, same as Saints.

You’re assuming folks will watch any game. There are many fans who just watch their team. This must be the case if Nine continue to select these teams in late season flexible scheduling when they’re out of contention for finals.

Once again though, your beef should be with the NRL. They’re the ones that hand control of the schedule to the broadcasters for more rights fees. What sort of organisation gives up control of its product?

2. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII First Grade

In the 90's the league gave pay TV rights away for peanuts, today Fox pay a billion for it.

flippikat and Saxon like this.
  3. seanoff

seanoff Juniors

No. BTSport, Sky and Amazon. They have apps but you need subscribe. Not an EPL app

4. seanoff

seanoff Juniors

Not anymore. Fox and amazon brought in. So on all 3 now

5. LeagueUnlimited News

LeagueUnlimited News Administrator Staff Member

6. shear_joy9

shear_joy9 First Grade

surprised penrith haven't punted tyrone to the curb yet.
    seems to be such a great influence on their culture

7. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

advertising more than covers production costs

8. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Tell that to Fox and ch9 that are both bleeding money

9. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

ok so get two mate# and get nrl live for $6.66 each lol! Unless you are a fan of multiple sports it will be cheaper for you!

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

if you’re an nrl fan and it’s cheaper why wouldn’t you?

that’s not due to the $15mill it costs to produce Ch9 nrl games, it’s due to how sht their tv station is!

11. unforgiven

unforgiven Bench

But I am a fan of multiple sports, I will get it but lets not make out $20 is cheap, my NFL gamepass subscription only costs me $200 a year.

12. Jerkwad2000

Jerkwad2000 Juniors

In what world are you living? 800k subscribers? There isn't a snowballs chance in hell on a month of Sundays of that happening.

I'll come back to something I posted the other day. The WWE - a huge, worldwide brand - has their own streaming service. This is available worldwide. They have about 1.4M subscribers.

Correlate that to their YouTube subscription base of 59.6M. So, potentially, there are about 60M subscribers out there worldwide. Less than 2.5% of that fan base on YouTube actually pay for a subscription.

Lets now compare that to the NRL who have 67.3K subscribers. If you add in NRL on Nine which have 100K subscribers (and assume that none are subscribed to both), that is 167K. If the same happens as does with WWE, that equals less than 4000 subscribers.

Of course, that's all hypothetical. Lets look at some ACTUAL numbers from the NRLs Annual Report of 2019 (https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/2020/nrl_annualreport_2019_hr.pdf)

In the 2018 year, digital revenue was 23.593M (out of a total revenue of 523.562M).
    In the 2019 year, digital revenue was 24.066M (out of a total revenue of 555.915M)

Digital revenue between the 2 years went up approx 2%. Total revenue went up approx 6%. Also, please note this is REVENUE, not profit. We know that in the 2019 year. the NRL had a surplus of approx 30M. Digital revenue was approx 4.3% of total revenue, meaning that digital revenue equated to approx 1.3M of the overall surplus.

There is plenty of info in that annual report talking about huge increases in numbers etc. Including the fact that 1.3M fans have registered to an NRL account. Even if you come back to my hypothesis about comparison with WWE, that still only comes to 32.5K potential subscribers.

Even in the NFL, one of the biggest revenue sports in the world, the money they get from digital is small as a percentage. It's estimated in 2018 that the streaming rights for the NFL were worth about 500M - out of a 15B revenue. So about 3%.

At the end of the day, no sport is ever going to be able to make enough money to support and sustain themselves based purely on streaming. If it were viable, a sport like the NBA, or EPL would have gone down that path. The facts are that TV is king thanks to the revenue it makes on advertising.

13. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

it’s Coming, traditional tv is slowly dying. The figures rumoured for the next nrl deal are less than the last deal for the first time ever. As more people dump fta and paytv and switch to streaming services there won’t be the viewers, subscribers or advertisers to pay big deals. That will mean direct sales of content t become a more viable option. Who’d have said a few years ago that fox would launch a cheap streaming service that would be close to 1/2 million subscribers within 18 months?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  14. betcats

betcats Coach

That's not what was being said. Apollo brought up the growth of Netflix the last ten years as some sort of argument that NRL digital online could expand rapidly.

The NRL is already on a streaming company besides its own live pass offering I never said its not a good fit online I have a subscription myself or I did when it was on.

15. betcats

betcats Coach

Growing the fanbase is a lot easier said than done. Your idea of adding the png and French domestic comps to live pass are typical dumb ideas from someone who isn't thinking things through and thinks you just have to say something to make it so.

16. MilkShark

MilkShark Bench

I would never, NEVER, pay a subscription service for just nrl.

I'd rather watch the Supercars and NBA over NRL to be honest, they are far more enjoyable a sport to watch.

Rugby league is not the rugby league I grew up watching. Its boring, and full overpaid under talented players.

17. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

Go watch car go brooom brooom!

Bye, Felicia!

18. MilkShark

MilkShark Bench

hahaa because there is so much variety in league nowadays

Generalzod likes this.
  19. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

vroom vroom screeetch wow!

20. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog First Grade

who are these people who only watch League?

the baseline for value has been set

$25 gets you the entire Fox Sports lineup

nobody is paying that for NRL only

azza29 and Valheru like this.