What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Bateman

big hit!

Bench
rugby league is a mercenary's sport. why is this bloke copping so much flack? he's testing his market value. if there is a club that want to give him $800k per season over 4 years, then it's on them. I'm hearing Canterbury and St George.

Is it any surprise those two clubs have performed the way they have over the last few seasons? Haven't learnt anything. I don't think 1 edge backrower is where you want to blow such a chunk of $9-10m cap that you need to spread out over a decent 17 and depth within a 30-man squad - no matter how he played last season. an edge backrower isn't a massive difference maker. run a good line, hold the edge, a dime a dozen.

shear_joy9

Coach
rugby league is a mercenary's sport. why is this bloke copping so much flack? he's testing his market value. if there is a club that want to give him $800k per season over 4 years, then it's on them. I'm hearing Canterbury and St George.

Is it any surprise those two clubs have performed the way they have over the last few seasons? Haven't learnt anything. I don't think 1 edge backrower is where you want to blow such a chunk of $9-10m cap that you need to spread out over a decent 17 and depth within a 30-man squad - no matter how he played last season. an edge backrower isn't a massive difference maker. run a good line, hold the edge, a dime a dozen.

Canterbury would run out with 13 Josh Jackson's if they could

Whip Whitaker

Juniors

He is a bloody good player, but not an SBW or Taumalolo or Burgess. In other words, not worth that kind of money.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
John Bateman must love all of this. Pretend to be some kind of loyal player publicly. Privately, angle as much as possible to get out of Canberra and land a bigger and better deal.

Tells the media and twitter world: Canberra, I love you so much.

Tells Issac Moses: If I make more money, you make more money... hurry up and get the deal sorted.

big hit!

Bench
He is a bloody good player, but not an SBW or Taumalolo or Burgess. In other words, not worth that kind of money.

well, Taumalolo and Sam Burgess (predominantly) play(ed) in the middle. no qualms paying a damaging middle player (especially one that play big minutes) that amount of coin.

SBW was a freak, and he brought a lot more to his teams if all the talk about his Roosters season is anything to go by.

Greenfields

Juniors
I think it's simply the case of the Raiders not wanting to pay that much for him. There's clearly money around when we've just offloaded 3 fringe players and brought Rapa back when we didn't really need to. I can't imagine Sia is going to be around long either. As much as it would suck to lose Bateman I'm kind of glad we aren't going to break the bank to keep him.

shear_joy9

Coach
I think it's simply the case of the Raiders not wanting to pay that much for him. There's clearly money around when we've just offloaded 3 fringe players and brought Rapa back when we didn't really need to. I can't imagine Sia is going to be around long either. As much as it would suck to lose Bateman I'm kind of glad we aren't going to break the bank to keep him.

how is there clearly money around? Canberra would have been planning next season's cap based on paying Bateman his current contract. Those three fringe players will need to be replaced with other fringe players who even if they are payed minimum salary each won't add up to much savings.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
how is there clearly money around? Canberra would have been planning next season's cap based on paying Bateman his current contract. Those three fringe players will need to be replaced with other fringe players who even if they are payed minimum salary each won't add up to much savings.

I never quite get the salary cap. Team's spend just about their entire cap, and yet, apparently have a lot of money in following years (yet you would think upgrades to players takes them over the cap).

Greenfields

Juniors
I’m not saying we have a warchest but I think they could accommodate what Bateman (or more likely Moses) wants. Especially if there’s any starch to the story that we did come up but Bateman (Moses) refused to extend.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ntract-saga-with-raiders-20200524-p54vy5.html

"Who says I’m going to have as good as a year I had last year in 2020 and 2021? Who says we don’t get to 2022 and they say 'right he’s no good anymore'. People don’t see that side of it."

So, if he got his 4 year extension and then was garbage in 2020 and 2021, would he be willing to renegotiate and take less? Works both ways in theory but never in reality.

Also, all this boo hoo, I've only got a short time in the game garbage is just that. Garbage. They still have 30 years to have careers elsewhere like the rest of us have, whether that be working as a Garbo, or a cleaner, or an Ambo, or in an office, or one of a million things. Like they would be if they weren't playing football. Life and the possibility of earning doesn't end once you've retired from the game.

AJB1102

First Grade
It might only be a 10-15 year career compared to a 40 year one but those 10-15 years are bloody well paid. 40 years on $100k before retirement or 10 years on $400k with 30 years left to keep earning another way?

bileduct

Coach
Wow he's revealed his true colours in that tweet.

And I don't buy the "I was hacked" excuse.
zeoob-com-061kffa2h6-photo.png

Last edited:

BadnMean

Juniors
This isnt making much sense. The club has juggled at least 6-800k of the cap around in the last six months with transfers and releases. They could find him an extra 200k.

Maybe sticky has marked his papers after the shit he pulled GF week.

This is about the club staring down an Isaac Moses shakedown, not about JB wanting to leave.

Raiders need to get him for as little as possible & make sure the days of Moses strapping us over a barrel do not return.

JB hates losing. When he arrived and found out Furner had paid him peanuts compared to others he realised he'd shorted himself. 1:0 Furner. Relationship with JB, club, coach is all good every other way but he gets a new manager & instructs him he wants to stay, but to go HAM in squeezing every last dollar out of Don Furner. Anywhich way you can- just the way he plays.

And so it plays out, with JB giggling at his revenge in the background. It's just a matter of keeping him without cap ruining overs being paid.

This is a Moses play. If the Dogs want to screw their cap for the next 4 years. AGAIN. Then ok. Go.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
This is about the club staring down an Isaac Moses shakedown, not about JB wanting to leave.

Raiders need to get him for as little as possible & make sure the days of Moses strapping us over a barrel do not return.

JB hates losing. When he arrived and found out Furner had paid him peanuts compared to others he realised he'd shorted himself. 1:0 Furner. Relationship with JB, club, coach is all good every other way but he gets a new manager & instructs him he wants to stay, but to go HAM in squeezing every last dollar out of Don Furner. Anywhich way you can- just the way he plays.

And so it plays out, with JB giggling at his revenge in the background. It's just a matter of keeping him without cap ruining overs being paid.

This is a Moses play. If the Dogs want to screw their cap for the next 4 years. AGAIN. Then ok. Go.
Its not really peanuts is it though? 600k for a 25yr old ESL forward thats unproven in the NRL seems pretty good. Yes he was an international but its not like he had NRL clubs banging down his door. We had to pay out a 450k transfer fee as well. Sure hes worth more now. But the current contract was pretty fair given the risk the club was taking.

I don't really care if its a Moses play. Bateman could tell him to pull it in with the media leaks and timing at any point. He's free to pursue more money but hes done it in a way where he has put himself above the team. We went through the same shit with Carney and Dugan and look how that turned out. I don't mind losing blokes like that, no matter how talented.

shear_joy9

Coach
I’m not saying we have a warchest but I think they could accommodate what Bateman (or more likely Moses) wants. Especially if there’s any starch to the story that we did come up but Bateman (Moses) refused to extend.

I'm sure they could make adjustments to pay $800k a season but then end up losing other players they could have afforded otherwise.

Understandable if he did refuse the reported extension.
4years @$800k vs 4@$700k means he's missing out on $400k. Bateman wants as much as he can here before moving back home.

SBD82

Coach
At this point I have to remove myself emotionally from this stuff. One thing I'll say is that it always feels like it plays out in the public in crazy ways a lot with the raiders
Gotta get on channel nine somehow.

Once again, while everyone else is playing.checkers, Sticky is playing chess.

Latest posts