What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

colly

Juniors
Vlandy push for 4 new grounds.....
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...s-or-grand-final-will-go-20200531-p54y3z.html

NRL's ultimatum: Four new suburban stadiums or grand final will go
Michael Chammas
May 31, 2020 — 2.18pm
  • Send via Email
The NRL will meet the NSW government this week armed with the threat of moving the grand final away from Sydney if the state doesn't deliver up to four boutique suburban stadiums over the next decade.

With the state government on Saturday dumping plans for the $800 million redevelopment of ANZ Stadium as it deals with the financial fallout of the COVID-19 crisis, NRL powerbrokers are set to demand funds be redirected towards suburban venues as part of a push to regenerate tribalism in rugby league.

3d98021bf854501834a98592da5997ae7896c443

The 30,000-seat Bankwest Stadium in Parramatta cost around $300 million to build.Credit:Getty

The NRL recently signed an extension to keep the grand final in Sydney until 2042, but that agreement hinged on a $2 billion promise that included new stadiums at Parramatta and Moore Park, as well as the redevelopment of the former Olympic venue into a rectangular facility.

According to sources with knowledge of the NRL's stadia strategy, the governing body is delighted with the decision by NSW government to scrap ANZ Stadium refurbishment plans, and will now lobby for up to four 15,000-20,000 seat stadiums worth around $150m-$200m each.

The NRL understands the government's predicament given the toll of the coronavirus crisis, and is expected to extend the time frame if it agrees to roll out a suburban venue plan that will cater for communities and sporting clubs across many codes.

Manly, Campbelltown, Penrith and Sydney's south have been earmarked as primary targets, with all nine Sydney clubs to be supported as part of the NRL's grand plan.

a099ec41c20fa8ef2d77ce5ee3dddd9a613f46d2

Brookvale Oval on the Northern Beaches is one of the NRL's priority venues to redevelop.Credit:SMH

A stadium in Sydney's south would cater for the Dragons, Sharks and potentially Canterbury, who also have the option of playing out of Bankwest Stadium. South Sydney would have the option of playing matches alongside the Sydney Roosters out of the new stadium at Moore Park, or moving games out west to Bankwest Stadium with the Parramatta Eels.

The Wests Tigers would play the majority of their games out of a new Campbelltown Stadium, which will also host new A-League club Macarthur FC.

Related Article

Infrastructure
Premier pulls the plug on stadium refurb but will keep Powerhouse move
The Penrith Panthers and Manly Sea Eagles would also have a new stadium to play out of. The governing body would much prefer fans being locked out of games than empty grandstands, hence the desire for boutique grounds to cater for crowds of around 15,000.

The strategy will be music to the ears of Nine Entertainment Co chief executive Hugh Marks, who has pushed for the prioritisation of the game's tribalism as he mulls over a potential broadcast rights extension with the NRL after the 2022 season.

ANZ Stadium would still be used as the code's major events facility, hosting State of Origin games, blockbuster Sydney finals and the grand final.

The strategy represents a significant change of tack. Just a few years back, the NRL adopted a 'build it and they will come' mentality in regards to major stadiums and turned a blind eye to suburban grounds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
15,000? :)

if they can get 4 decent 20-25k stadiums for them clubs that would be massive step forward for Sydney nrl. At the moment some clubs are falling so far behind they are looking like the poor cousin living in shack. It all,
translates into revenue and that is the real issue, clubs, despite massive grant increases, are still not viable. TV money is down 20% plus, LC’s won’t generate forever, clubs better start building paying fanbases.

Chook Norris

First Grade
20,000 I think would be a good spot to be in. Hopefully we can get some traction on this.... but I'm not sure its palatable at all right now for government to be talking about diverting funds towards new stadiums

seanoff

Juniors
If the govt don’t want to spend $800m on one stadium. What makes people think they are just going to move that money to other stadiums?

Also 15k is too small.

Perth Red

Post Whore
20,000 I think would be a good spot to be in. Hopefully we can get some traction on this.... but I'm not sure its palatable at all right now for government to be talking about diverting funds towards new stadiums

yoid be surprised how spin dr’s can make even the most frivolous spend sound like the best investment the state can ever make! Stick it under a “stimulus” strategy, make up some figures about employment and financial generation of X billion $’s and away you go.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the govt don’t want to spend $800m on one stadium. What makes people think they are just going to move that money to other stadiums?

Also 15k is too small.

id say 20k is too small. Reality is you need to be aiming for 25k sell outs for big games and 15k for small games for clubs to seriously turn around their financial viability.

Chook Norris

First Grade

Also 15k is too small.

I think a lot of the previous opposition was around the fact it was a relatively new stadium being demolished that was hardly used. Probably easier to promote small stadiums that feel closer to the community and less corporate. Having said that, yes, I'd find it hard getting traction on this in the current environment. I guess the NRLs strategy on this is to get in early and hope the message eventually filters through in the next year at some point

id say 20k is too small. Reality is you need to be aiming for 25k sell outs for big games and 15k for small games for clubs to seriously turn around their financial viability.

20k is fine. Most Sydney clubs average around 14k, so there’s room for growth and sell outs allow you to increase ticket prices. So do better stadiums.

Also 15k is too small.

I think it’s highly unlikely too, but they may as well ask. 4 smaller spends might be easier for the govt to sell. Particularly if you don’t do them all at the same time.

colly

Juniors
I think a lot of the previous opposition was around the fact it was a relatively new stadium being demolished that was hardly used. Probably easier to promote small stadiums that feel closer to the community and less corporate. Having said that, yes, I'd find it hard getting traction on this in the current environment. I guess the NRLs strategy on this is to get in early and hope the message eventually filters through in the next year at some point
waite until

Wait until Vlandy gets on this, it will be a sure bet. vlandy has been talking about this from last year. The softening up period is over, now comes the hard sell. Who can resist?

A few points:
1 PVL needs to be careful holding a gun to their head, he still needs all sorts of cooperation from them to continue RL's trek back to the new normal, whatever that is.
2. Like most, I can't see the cost-benefit sense of one-tenant stadiums at Manly and Penrith
3. Should be going for at least 25-30k stadiums and not settle for the shit crowds that we get already.

I think there’s room for the NRL to be bullish here. They’ve already had this agreement reneged on twice by the govt, it’s reasonable they ask for something in return for the grand finals.

20k seat stadiums with the ability to upgrade would be enough. I’d rather we start to see sell outs at 20k first, create demand and then expand them later.

seanoff

Juniors

But NSW Treasury if it operates like all the others has a pretty solid forward estimates. They’ll fight tooth and nail to keep that $800m for other non stadium projects which they likely had to shelve in the first place. They’ll point to roads, health, education etc etc.

it’ll be a huge fight with the treasury and all the other departments if they want to spend that $800m on smaller stadiums. And if they do it might take 4 or 5 years to get the first one even funded never mind started. They’ll point to roads, health, education etc etc.

Sometimes politically it’s easier to get up a big expensive project over small ones. How many Extra votes are in upgrading brookvale? Whereas upgrading ANZ might get lift all over the state.

big hit!

Bench
games kick off:
7:30-8pm thu, fri, sat nights
6pm fri nights
3pm & 5:30pm Sat arvo/evening
2:30 & 4:15 pm Sun arvo

anyone who thinks we need more than 20k capacity at stadiums when 6 of 8 games kick-off or finish in the dark in winter is delusional.

this is in addition to a 35k, 45k, and 83k the metropolitan already has (or will have).

and let's get a grip on reality here - every additional seat is a greater cost the game (fans) will need to re-pay through tickets

45k - CBD/East: Roosters & Souths (hopefully)
35k - Central: Parra & Bulldogs
20k - Northern: Manly
20k - Southern: Saints & Cronulla
20k - South-western: Tigers
20k - Western: Penrith

at least, build the new ones in a way that can facilitate expansion later.

Cactus

Juniors
But NSW Treasury if it operates like all the others has a pretty solid forward estimates. They’ll fight tooth and nail to keep that $800m for other non stadium projects which they likely had to shelve in the first place. They’ll point to roads, health, education etc etc.

it’ll be a huge fight with the treasury and all the other departments if they want to spend that $800m on smaller stadiums. And if they do it might take 4 or 5 years to get the first one even funded never mind started. They’ll point to roads, health, education etc etc.

Sometimes politically it’s easier to get up a big expensive project over small ones. How many Extra votes are in upgrading brookvale? Whereas upgrading ANZ might get lift all over the state.

I heard Gladys in an interview talking about the focus being on job creation expenditure & that numerous smaller projects as opposed to a single large project was advantageous in that it helps with more subcontract employment volume.

That seemed to make sense and align with this new strategy by the NRL.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Actually these smaller projects are the things that swing marginal seats (we saw what SMorrison managed with his Sports Rorts fund)

3 of the most marginal State Elecorates are:
- Kogarah
- Penrith
- Holsworthy (Sydney SW in Liverpool)
The only issue here is that the Libs have a strangle north of the harbour

The Libs could definitely justify these as an election strategy

Perth Red

Post Whore

will likely depend on the councils also being willing to sign over the existing stadiums to state govt. WA govt had to pay local council $25mill to get a long lease on hbf park in order to upgrade it.

yeh we get that lol.
He has balls, except when it comes to holding tv to account. Then he tucked them away in his handbag and bent over for Lachlan and Mark, lube in hand.
& we get that your hatred of him makes you continually post the same crap.
You don't know what was in the contract with 9& fox
You don't know what happened at the discussions .
& you're ignoring the perilous financial state of the NRL
Give it a rest .

We finally get someone proactive & we get this shit over & over .