What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steel Saints

Juniors
I read somewhere that if the A League wanted to on-sell content to someone like Optus, it would cost $12-$15 million per year to take control of it's own production costs.

seanoff

Juniors
So after this contract runs out Telstra have no streaming rights. So that’s $20m /yr iirc.

looks like fox have basically got rid of all possible competitors at a discount. Good business for them.

so just to be clear. No streaming of nrl thru the nrl app after 2022.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So after this contract runs out Telstra have no streaming rights. So that’s $20m /yr iirc.

looks like fox have basically got rid of all possible competitors at a discount. Good business for them.

The plan all along. Lock up streaming rights for next 8 years for significantly less money.
Winners are grinners.

colly

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...otage-afl-broadcast-deal-20200603-p54z6i.html

NRL turns up code war heat with attempt to sabotage AFL broadcast deal
Michael Chammas
June 4, 2020 — 12.01am
  • Send via Email
Leave a comment

Not satisfied with just beating the AFL to the punch in resuming its season, ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys attempted to ram home the NRL's dominance by sabotaging the rival code's broadcast rights deal.

The Herald can reveal the NRL, led by V'landys and interim chief executive Andrew Abdo, requested a "most-favoured clause" in its five-year extension with Foxtel that would have prohibited the pay television provider from striking a better deal with the AFL.

Current Time 0:22
/
Duration 2:47

Cornes slams AFL figures who mocked V'landys

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes has taken aim at members of the AFL fraternity that mocked ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys' aggressive NRL start date.

While Foxtel knocked back the clause request, which would have guaranteed the NRL received more per game than the AFL, it highlighted V'landys' appetite to take the fight to the code that long regarded as the benchmark of Australian sport.

The NRL under the V'landys regime has drawn the ire of the AFL, which was left behind as the 13-man code returned to competition with record television ratings last week.

It validated the warning that GWS chairman Tony Shepherd, who is a board member of the V'landys-run Racing NSW, offered AFL boss Gillon McLachlan when he declared rugby league would become a serious competitor when V'landys was announced as chairman late last year.

The NRL has also taken a vow of silence in regards to the details of its extension with Foxtel to assist the pay television network's negotiations with the AFL. A lot has changed in the five years since News Corp supremo Rupert Murdoch responded to a secret broadcast deal between Nine and the NRL by stating that his organisation always believed the AFL was the premium code in Australia.

f374b5ac12c8b7b1029b552e107c3f551cef9ab8

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys and AFL boss Gillon McLachlan.Credit:Digital image

While the NRL would like to trumpet its new Foxtel deal amid criticism they caved and provided broadcasters with too much of a discount, the sport's hierarchy have chosen to bite their tongues to avoid giving the AFL a free-kick as it moves to strike its own revised broadcast deal.

Former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett, now the president of Hawthorn, last week told The Australian that rugby league was a "boring, boring game" and claimed he would "rather do some underwater knitting" than watch the NRL when it returned on May 28.

Not everyone shared that view as almost 4.5 million people tuned in to watch the NRL's return – the only major football code being played in the country. It was the fifth-largest TV audience for a regular-season weekend in the game's history.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get," V'landys recently told the Herald after mocking the AFL for being weeks behind the NRL. "At times I've looked at them and had a giggle."

ea69a2907bb4753ee3b4d7671db0c7257b5dab8e

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan is in the midst of broadcast negotiations ahead of the code's June 11 return.Credit:Getty Images

No doubt V'landys, dubbed "push-ahead Pete" by sections of the Victorian sports media, is giggling again. In Melbourne over the weekend, the city recorded its second highest TV audience for a Storm game when Craig Bellamy's men squared off against Canberra on Saturday night.

Former premiership-winning AFL player turned media personality Kane Cornes broke ranks with his AFL colleagues and heaped praise on V'landys for his achievements against the odds.

"Unbelievable job the NRL have done," Cornes said on Nine's Footy Show on Sunday. "I just think it has been outstanding and a lesson to the AFL. For the first time I think in Australian sport the AFL are somewhat behind the times, they’ve been beaten to the punch by Peter V’landys. He’s an absolute genius. Anyone who has been critical, put your hand up. It’s front page and back page, they’re dominating the headlines.

Related Article

Exclusive
Media & marketing

NRL blocks Telstra from streaming in bid to secure extension with Nine
"I’m not having a crack at the AFL, I’m having a crack at the people who were critical, and there were plenty of them. I’m having a crack at those people who now look silly about those comments they made a month ago."

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s amazing how much good publicity a $100million will buy you. Any other time and headline would have been “NRL leadership fails in attempt to get preferential treatment” lol.

franklin2323

Immortal

New Fox Deal is extra and covers the difference

Perth Red

Post Whore
New Fox Deal is extra and covers the difference

that is really unclear. There has been a figure of “around” $1billion banded around by the media but what is really unclear if that is for the whole new deal ie 8 years or just the extension ie 5 years. I find it very hard to believe that fox have agreed to pay MORE than the current deal but if they have then f**k it I’ll start pontificating over Vlandys like the rest of you!

ps Telstra are paying fox the $20mill, not the nrl.

unforgiven

Bench

TheRam

Coach
thanks, always nice to have fans :)

Mate, even though I may not agree entirely on your feelings on V'landys, I appreciate your concerns. All your knockers many times are way too over zealous. It's not like you are just knocking the bloke for no good reason, you present a decent argument at times. There are to many unknowns at the moment about the TV deal that still need clarity. We need a dissenting voice otherwise we are all just sheep.

So from me thank you for that constant cautionary voice. Time will clear this matter up and he will be hailed as the new king or crock pot soon enough.

As for all his other decisions(less expansion) and innovations, surely you must be pleased?

taipan

Referee
that is really unclear. There has been a figure of “around” $1billion banded around by the media but what is really unclear if that is for the whole new deal ie 8 years or just the extension ie 5 years. I find it very hard to believe that fox have agreed to pay MORE than the current deal but if they have then f**k it I’ll start pontificating over Vlandys like the rest of you!

ps Telstra are paying fox the $20mill, not the nrl.

The Australian's Shanahan last week after the opening game stated "$1bn plus believed to be around $200m pa after 2022."
They currently pay or did till 2022 $190m pa.

Thus $1bn plus whatever the discount is from 2020-2022.

It's certainly not $1BN over 8years = $ 125M PA.

unforgiven

Bench
The Australian's Shanahan last week after the opening game stated "$1bn plus believed to be around $200m pa after 2022."
They currently pay or did till 2022 $190m pa.

Thus $1bn plus whatever the discount is from 2020-2022.

It's certainly not $1BN over 8years = $ 125M PA.

I think the 3 years ch9 still have need to be included into that $1B?

Latest posts