1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

INCLUDES team lists, match previews, match reports, key stats and news from around the National Rugby League - 36 pages and packed full.

EDITION 2 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Question on Peter V'landys

Discussion in 'NRL' started by LeagueXIII, Mar 30, 2020.

1. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII First Grade

Why is V'landys still in charge of NSW racing? Is it not odd.

Why is the media not questioning this?

Could you imagine if John Grant, who was attacked for driving a sports car, or Dave Smith were wearing two hats?

some11, Styles clash and Brutus like this.
  2. Brutus

Brutus Referee

It is extremely odd. Agree.

Don't expect his mates at the Telecrap to question it.

3. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

I’m more concerned by how much love the journos that seem to hate the game have for him. I’m very nervous why news ltd like the man so much!
    Last week he did a number of interviews about the nrl in front of a nsw Racing banner ffs!

4. mongoose

mongoose First Grade

yeah i don't trust him at all. He seems like a News ltd puppet hired to push Greenberg out. Makes me like Greenberg if anything...

5. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII First Grade

I did notice that too, and at the time it was odd and unprofessional.

6. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII First Grade

If the digital arm is apparently worthless and of no use to the game why does News Ltd want it shut down or sold to them so they can control it. Also why does Grant see it worth a great deal upto a billion (other sports world wide have a digital arm) whilst V'landys sees it worth around $50 million.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ta...he-mark-but-for-how-long-20200325-p54dpd.html

I worry that V'landys won't screw or free us from nine and news ltd so the game can reach it's full potential. Our game needs to control the digital arm.

Nerd likes this.
  7. ChocOConnor

ChocOConnor Juniors

Say what you want but I am sure glad he is in charge rather than the previous goose.

8. Adam-Albert Casty

Adam-Albert Casty Juniors

Thanks Kenty

Ikuvalu fan, Last Week and THE CHAMP like this.
  9. ChocOConnor

ChocOConnor Juniors

Mate I’m not Kenty I actually lost any respect for that guy when he announced that McGregor is a good coach and at George supporters are fickle all they want is a premiership every year.

10. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo First Grade

Being Chairman of the NRL is unlikely to be a high paid position. Like him or not, V'Landys is well connected with people in positions of power on "both sides of the aisle" as they say in politics. It is why he is so secure at RacingNSW as its CEO.

I'm prepared to wait and see regarding his stewardship in the job as Chairman of the ARLC.

If you want a Chair who has no sporting links but is good in their job and well connected, then you will have to pay for it as unless they are personally rich with an abiding love of the game, you won't find someone willing to do it for nothing.

As to the media questioning it, a few did, but remember News Ltd own most of the print journals in our capital cities, and those that aren't (e.g. Sydney Morning Herald, The Age) are now owned by Nine Entertainment who also own Channel 9.

robinson2 likes this.
  11. shaggs

shaggs First Grade

Chairman of the NRL isn’t a full time role is it?

12. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

I don't think it's unreasonable for V'landys to divorce his wife, put a mattress on the floor of NRL headquarters and devote every second of his life to the NRL.

For free.

13. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo First Grade

I do not believe so. The holder does probably get a stipend for attending meetings and the like as a "director".

14. THE CHAMP

THE CHAMP First Grade

Thanks kenty

15. some11

some11 Coach

Because when the time comes to renegotiate the TV deal he won't give Foxtel/Newscorp/Murdoch a hard time.

You know, like David Smith who enraged Rupert Murdoch so much he fronted a presser going on about how great AFL is.

sensesmaybenumbed likes this.
  16. Spot On

Spot On Coach

The NRL is broke, pissed away hundreds of millions of dollars and people are concerned about Vlandys.

Wow. Just wow.

17. Exsilium

Exsilium Bench

Imagine the financial state of the game if we’d have had an investment banker and sound businessman in charge.

RL is a business, they don’t need a member of the old boys club to run it but bringing in Vlandys feels like a handshake agreement in the treehouse among mates. It reeks of desperation.

thorson1987, gordsy and flippikat like this.
  18. Raiders_Premiers

Raiders_Premiers First Grade

Chairman isn't a full-time position. John Grant was still MD for an I.T company when he was the Chairman.

19. Cactus

Cactus Juniors

Lets examine what the problem is:

a) Resource problem = someone within the organisation is a bit of a dickhead

b) Structural problem – some dickhead forgot to put that job title into the organisational flow chart

c) Management problem = some sort of management dickhead hired Greenburg as CEO

d) Constitutional problem = the person who devised the constitutional powers of the ARLC “the commish” did not provide enough arms length distance from clubland and the commish and is a dickhead

I do not know about you dickheads but d) is where my bet is and I would implore you people to think a lot about where you want this sport to go and about what it takes to get there.

MugaB likes this.
  20. taipan

taipan Referee

Imagine if Um & Aagh and Grant were running the show.
    The mind boggles.May as well shut up shop or get Raelene to step in.
    It's obvious the NRL admin is top heavy with expenditure waste ,so if V'Landys can "drain the swamp" and ensure rugby league survives this shemozzle, then I don't care if he runs Lego comps in his other guise, he'll get more than a pass mark.

MugaB likes this.