What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

franklin2323

Immortal

Perth Red

Post Whore
They take streams not produce their content. Fox not only pays $200m but spends the money producing it. Something no one else does

that is true, but nrl producing its own content is not such a bad thing. Gives it all sorts of international distribution opportunities as well as opportunities to break up the product into a range of different smaller sales options, which is going to be reality in a few years. I can see fta being soLd to at least two channels as well as streaming split between a service like dazn and nrl selling some itself through its own channel.

not to mention ability to Control quality of production. I believe it costs around $50mill a year for fox and nine to produce the game content.

franklin2323

Immortal
that is true, but nrl producing its own content is not such a bad thing. Gives it all sorts of international distribution opportunities as well as opportunities to break up the product into a range of different smaller sales options, which is going to be reality in a few years. I can see fta being soLd to at least two channels as well as streaming split between a service like dazn and nrl selling some itself through its own channel.

not to mention ability to Control quality of production. I believe it costs around $50mill a year for fox and nine to produce the game content.

No Major Australian sport has that type of funds. Not in the near future anyway

Perth Red

Post Whore
Get $241m TV rights over 6 years
NBL does too again rights are much lower then AFL, Cricket and NRL get

surely the point is if those sports with much smaller sales value can produce their own content then it should be very feasible for nrl to do so?

TheRam

Coach
it is outstanding that the guy can make a deal that strips $200mill out of nrl revenue and the masses still loves him, I’ll give him credit where it is due, he knows how to play the game lol.
He missed his vocation, should have been a politician.

I will reserve my judgement on the TV deals until I see what the AFL get. Then and only then will anyone really know if V'landys managed it well or was sucker punched by the TV network/cable companies. But as for everything else the man has said and done thus far, he has been Greek God like. I mean he has been herding cats at times and won the blue ribbon ffs every time.

Now as for Perth's expansion PR, I'm with you there mate, I would love to see a team there already. But his logic is somewhat sound that he wants to add teams where the support is the greatest and no one can argue that Brissie is the strongest under represented region in the country.

Now if this man can get these new built for purpose boutique stadiums up and running and the crowds are full every week and the TV audience is loving the games more due to an even better atmosphere and overall experience. Then the people in other States will be seeing a sport that has advanced into the 21st century full of excitement and professionalism. Not half empty stadiums and sparsely populated grassy hills which hardly makes for enthralling viewing to the casual observer as they surf through channels looking for something exciting with atmosphere to grab their attention to watch. Or when people see our sport on the sports news highlights. It will have a real buzz about it and people will notice. Perceptions matter big time.

The hype will slowly rise and people notice hype. We are all attracted to it, and while this is going on, I'm sure Zeus will have made even more positive changes and by this stage even more attention to a sport that is finally reborn and going places. Then we may see Perth, hell by that stage, maybe even Adelaide making a strong case to be admitted back into the NRL. Zeus by that stage may be in a position to demand quite a few inducements(like a Bankwest style stadium) before he commits to any new franchise in those non-traditional cities and their State Premiers may just to it.

Unfortunately for you and all other RL fans of these areas this could be around 10 years away. With any luck maybe 5-7, who really knows though, right ? But I can't see any new teams after Brisbane 2 for quite a while to be honest mate. Sorry.

TheRam

Coach
You're just bitter because he made the Storm play by the same rules as everyone else.:p:confused:

How much was Greenberg spending on his mates? He may have gotten an extra $200,000,000, but it doesn't mean squat if he's just giving it to Peter Beattie and his mates at head office. Wasn't he spending $500,000 a day? If they're paid 365 days a year that's $182,500,000 in one year. No wonder there was no money left.

You do realise that that figure includes everything bar the clubs grant? So what you want to can development money then as an example?

franklin2323

Immortal
So you are saying these sports can afford to produce their own broadcasts, despite their lower broadcast deals but the NRL can't?

Your post was

There are around 12 Supercar events a year. So less content to produce all the events are pay for by the relevant state governments. So pretty much the production costs are covered for the event.

Compare that to an NRL season. 26 weeks plus finals. On any weekend you could have games in Townsville, Melbourne, Canberra and so on.

Neither Fox nor channel 9 produce every game of the round. Doing that would at a guess cost $100m across a season.

Over a 5 year broadcast period you are already $500m in the red. So not viable for NRL, AFL or cricket to go alone producing content yet anyway

colly

Juniors
There are around 12 Supercar events a year. So less content to produce all the events are pay for by the relevant state governments. So pretty much the production costs are covered for the event.

Compare that to an NRL season. 26 weeks plus finals. On any weekend you could have games in Townsville, Melbourne, Canberra and so on.

Neither Fox nor channel 9 produce every game of the round. Doing that would at a guess cost $100m across a season.

Over a 5 year broadcast period you are already $500m in the red. So not viable for NRL, AFL or cricket to go alone producing content yet anyway
Don't forget each week you Produce 8 separate games then by 26 weeks ( real figure is /was 24 weeks times 8 games = 192 separate productions compared to 12 super cars. That would cost a fortune.

colly

Juniors
Don't forget each week you Produce 8 separate games then by 26 weeks ( real figure is /was 24 weeks times 8 games = 192 separate productions compared to 12 super cars. That would cost a fortune.
Also I would add that you need separate crews also. Many times the Super Saturay broadcast goes from Melbourne Canberra/ then to Sydney then up to Townsville. So you need three separate crews to do the eight weekly games. 3 times 8 games times 24 rounds = You don't want to know......Cheap cheap cheap.

franklin2323

Immortal

This is true only need 1 of each for Supercars on a Sat you would need 3 x producers etc given the 3 games.

Would be a huge waste of money

unforgiven

Bench

I don't disagree with you, but you stated that no major sports produce their own content. I would argue that the time of the events are much longer for the Supercars as well. Many of the events are at least 3 days long covering multiple hours every day. Then you have Bathurst with must be a production nightmare.

In the end though it is like comparing apples and oranges, there are just too many varibles but it is not right to say that no major sport in Australia produces its own content.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't disagree with you, but you stated that no major sports produce their own content. I would argue that the time of the events are much longer for the Supercars as well. Many of the events are at least 3 days long covering multiple hours every day. Then you have Bathurst with must be a production nightmare.

In the end though it is like comparing apples and oranges, there are just too many varibles but it is not right to say that no major sport in Australia produces its own content.

I wouldn't car Supercars a major sport though. So it is down to opinion