What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No team has ever won the premiership after conceding 50pts in a regular season match

nick87

Coach
That's the common theme with most of the exciting players that come into the league, I don't think you can specifically say it's only happened to Milford. It's not just halves either, forwards with an offload are often told to tuck it away to play that high percentage style of play

Oh stop it! Not even you believe this nonsense.
You got a generational footballer and your club coached every f**king ounce of natural flair out of him. That is not typical of this league. We're not talking about high percentage football here, we're talking about dreadful coaches and an appalling system lacking in any semblence of creativity taking one of the most impactful footballers in the world and turning him into an average, overpaid half who cant create

That's not the league, my guy
That's your club.

If that kid stays at Canberra or goes to virtually any other team in the comp, he's one of the best players in the world right now. No question in my mind at all about that. This is a BRONCOS problem.

blaza88z

Coach
You got a generational footballer and your club coached every f**king ounce of natural flair out of him. That is not typical of this league. We're not talking about high percentage football here, we're talking about dreadful coaches and an appalling system lacking in any semblence of creativity taking one of the most impactful footballers in the world and turning him into an average, overpaid half who cant create

That's your club.

If that kid stays at Canberra or goes to virtually any other team in the comp, he's one of the best players in the world right now. No question in my mind at all about that. This is a BRONCOS problem.

It's happening everywhere you look, don't pretend like Milford is the only one who has had this happen to him.

nick87

Coach
You’re right, it’s happened with Kayl... well no it hasn’t

But it did happen with James Ted... oh not him either... Tommy Turbo could ha... oh not him either... but his team mate Dal... ugh

how about Luke Ke... no, that won’t work either

Im struggling here... remind me again about all the generational creative playmakers who’ve been coached into boring, average game managers?

Dave's mate

Juniors

That's your club.

Yeah nah

Everyone loves the magic, off the cuff, play what you see footy...

Until they lose a game.

Then suddenly, it's about grinding out the win, percentages, set plays...getting the two points. "Oh his mind isn't on the job...he isn't a team player...rocks and diamonds..."

Plenty of instinctive players dulled in the modern game.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Everyone loves the magic, off the cuff, play what you see footy...

Until they lose a game.

Then suddenly, it's about grinding out the win, percentages, set plays...getting the two points. "Oh his mind isn't on the job...he isn't a team player...rocks and diamonds..."

Plenty of instinctive players dulled in the modern game.

Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk to me should be the template for every half. Sure, it is stating the bleeding obvious choosing two future immortals, but here is how I see it.

Johnathan Thurston had all the skill and instinct to win games, but wasn't the best game manager. Cooper Cronk had all the structure, but not enough play it as he sees it.

Towards the end of their careers, JT had to learn and play a bit better structure. He was losing his speed, lost Matty Bowen, and he desperately needed a plan B. It was tiring for him to try and win every game every week off his individual ability. Structure enabled the Cowboys to win in more ways than one.

As defences started to figure out Melbourne a bit better, Cronk had to take on the line more, use his running game more and then utilise the skills of the backline that Bellamy had put around him (culminating in the 2017 premiership). The Sharks in 2016 did a serious job on the old Cronk, and so he evolved and won three more premierships in a row.

Cronk and JT were never going to have the abilities of each other, but they worked really hard to add more to their games, and the 2015 and 2017 premierships are probably the best testaments to their evolution as footy players.

Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk to me should be the template for every half. Sure, it is stating the bleeding obvious choosing two future immortals, but here is how I see it.

Johnathan Thurston had all the skill and instinct to win games, but wasn't the best game manager. Cooper Cronk had all the structure, but not enough play it as he sees it.

Towards the end of their careers, JT had to learn and play a bit better structure. He was losing his speed, lost Matty Bowen, and he desperately needed a plan B. It was tiring for him to try and win every game every week off his individual ability. Structure enabled the Cowboys to win in more ways than one.

As defences started to figure out Melbourne a bit better, Cronk had to take on the line more, use his running game more and then utilise the skills of the backline that Bellamy had put around him (culminating in the 2017 premiership). The Sharks in 2016 did a serious job on the old Cronk, and so he evolved and won three more premierships in a row.

Cronk and JT were never going to have the abilities of each other, but they worked really hard to add more to their games, and the 2015 and 2017 premierships are probably the best testaments to their evolution as footy players.

Hard work and good luck are great friends.

soc123_au

Staff member
Just getting this bad boy back on the front page & getting ready to welcome the Cowboys in about 20 minutes. Who would have picked the Titans to be the last QLD team standing?