What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So am I - MD of a number of businesses over the years.
P+L Management is a minimum requirement for middle management so nothing to crow about.
I have also worked in the IP field for many years.
Like I said - you are out of your depth on this topic but your spell check and punctuation is outstanding.
5th time. What’s the St George brand worth?

For someone as bright as yourself this should be a simple answer.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It’s still worth more than the Illawarra value!!! Hah hah hah & no one has EVER seen Illawarra win a title. Your trying to compare :apple: apples & :lemon: lemons
Who’s comparing St George’s brand value to Illawarra’s?

Are you the one who started the petition?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Far too many people have the delusional notion that all the best Illawarra players went to St George as if it was some feeder club.

The Illawarra fed plenty of Sydney clubs with plenty of star players.

St George at its highest point just had more to offer and that was the attraction for so many good players but not all and as the years rolled on and other clubs emerged they often got the talent St George would loved to have had.
Firstly, the Illawarra as such was not a club. I don't think even possm was saying that.

You say yourself that during the golden heights St George held a lot of attraction for many good players. It is true that during the 50s and 60s St George wielded a lot of influence over the Illawarra as well as the Sutherland shire, by virtue of the financial strength of the Club, geography and training methods.

So, that aside, can you show me the 'far too many delusional people' that have said the Illawarra were a feeder club for St George?

Old Timer

Coach
Firstly, the Illawarra as such was not a club. I don't think even possm was saying that.

You say yourself that during the golden heights St George held a lot of attraction for many good players. It is true that during the 50s and 60s St George wielded a lot of influence over the Illawarra as well as the Sutherland shire, by virtue of the financial strength of the Club, geography and training methods.

So, that aside, can you show me the 'far too many delusional people' that have said the Illawarra were a feeder club for St George?
Willow,
So you don't agree that people have said / inferred that the Illawarra region was a feeder to St George and that the St George success was somewhat predicated on the Illawarra?

The point I was making is that many clubs have feeder clubs and IMO the way some people especially some Illawarra people infer that the St George success wouldn't have happened without it thus inferring that the Illawarra was "like" a feeder club to St George. That is typified by some saying that without the Illawarra ST George couldn't survive.

I was merely pointing out that the Illawarra did not only feed St George it actually fed plenty of Sydney clubs and we had no "mortgage" on players from that region.

In other words the players made a choice to come to St George if an offer was made or went to another club if the opportunity there was better for them.

So in the end if St George stood alone and the Illawarra couldn't get a sustainable team up (had a go and didn't survive) then the Illawarra region would go back to what it was before namely an area that produced some great footballers who then decided to leave the region and play at other clubs and not just St George.

hazzbeen

Bench
Willow,
So you don't agree that people have said / inferred that the Illawarra region was a feeder to St George and that the St George success was somewhat predicated on the Illawarra?

The point I was making is that many clubs have feeder clubs and IMO the way some people especially some Illawarra people infer that the St George success wouldn't have happened without it thus inferring that the Illawarra was "like" a feeder club to St George. That is typified by some saying that without the Illawarra ST George couldn't survive.

I was merely pointing out that the Illawarra did not only feed St George it actually fed plenty of Sydney clubs and we had no "mortgage" on players from that region.

In other words the players made a choice to come to St George if an offer was made or went to another club if the opportunity there was better for them.

So in the end if St George stood alone and the Illawarra couldn't get a sustainable team up (had a go and didn't survive) then the Illawarra region would go back to what it was before namely an area that produced some great footballers who then decided to leave the region and play at other clubs and not just St George.
This .....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Willow,
So now you’re argument is not people saying it’s a feeder club, but now you’re saying it’s a feeder region?

C’mon man, your argument is about as coherent as the petition.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow,
Y'know, answering a question with a question doesn't count as an answer. And FTR, you're changing the argument.

You said there are 'far too many delusional people' that have said the Illawarra were a feeder club for St George. That's a lot of people. Where are they? It's OK to say you might have been exaggerating.

We both know the influence St George had in the St George-Sutherland area and on the South Coast in the 50s and 60s.

Of course, I am of the view that this influence was a result of the greatness of St George. A rare moment in history where every sport-minded kid within cooee was drawn towards Rugby League. They either loved St George or hated St George, but they all wanted to play for St George... because we were winners.
Presumably you're still talking about the 50s-60s.

Look, you're still moving the goal posts around. You've gone from "said" to "said / inferred" to now only "inferred". Also, it's gone from "far too many" to just "some". I'm glad you've dropped the word "delusional" because that would be too funny.

The St George success happened because of many factors. Of course the recruitment played it's part. I don't see too many people saying, excuse me, inferring that it was solely due to the Illawarra. Yes, that would be mass delusion.

Yes, and who is saying otherwise?

Quick history lesson: Illawarra tried to get into the Sydney comp in 1967 but were stopped by the CRL. The comp ended up with Cronulla, and their credentials were far less appealing.

We can but imagine what would have happened if Illawarra entered the first grade in 1967 instead of Cronulla.

Old Timer

Coach
Y'know, answering a question with a question doesn't count as an answer. And FTR, you're changing the argument.

You said there are 'far too many delusional people' that have said the Illawarra were a feeder club for St George. That's a lot of people. Where are they? It's OK to say you might have been exaggerating.

We both know the influence St George had in the St George-Sutherland area and on the South Coast in the 50s and 60s.

Of course, I am of the view that this influence was a result of the greatness of St George. A rare moment in history where every sport-minded kid within cooee was drawn towards Rugby League. They either loved St George or hated St George, but they all wanted to play for St George... because we were winners.
Presumably you're still talking about the 50s-60s.

Look, you're still moving the goal posts around. You've gone from "said" to "said / inferred" to now only "inferred". Also, it's gone from "far too many" to just "some". I'm glad you've dropped the word "delusional" because that would be too funny.

The St George success happened because of many factors. Of course the recruitment played it's part. I don't see too many people saying, excuse me, inferring that it was solely due to the Illawarra. Yes, that would be mass delusion.
Yes, and who is saying otherwise?

Quick history lesson: Illawarra tried to get into the Sydney comp in 1967 but were stopped by the CRL. The comp ended up with Cronulla, and their credentials were far less appealing.

We can but imagine what would have happened if Illawarra entered the first grade in 1967 instead of Cronulla.
OK if you want to quote then do so correctly
I actually said
"Far too many people have the delusional notion that all the best Illawarra players went to St George as if it was some feeder club."

Without trawling over posts in this place there are some of that opinion in here and for my way of thinking more than 2 or 3 of them would be far too many would account for "delusional".

FMD even some in the media have carried on thinking that for years.

There have been assertions for years that St George would not have been successful without the Illawarra bla bla bla thus my quote above please pay particular attention to the part in bold.

I am simply making the point that not everything out of the Illawarra went to St George and many great Illawarra players went to other clubs as well.

I make this point is to dispel the opinion some have that St George would not be able to stand alone and as muzby puts it be a CC competitor.

I didn't need the history lesson but thanks anyway but what did happen when Illawarra did join the comp?

For all the richness of their talent pool and the many nurseries it had in its own backyard and after gaining entry to the comp the club failed so what would make you think that it would have survived if it had of gained entry in 67?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I have replied which covers your question 1-5 and will cover the same question if you ask it another 20 times.
I can't help you if you can't comprehend my responses.
No, you haven’t.

What is the value of the St George brand?

How much is it worth?

I’m not sure why someone who claims to be as smart as you keeps deflecting.

Let’s go to your supposed area of expertise - what IP do the dragons own?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
OK if you want to quote then do so correctly
I actually said
"Far too many people have the delusional notion that all the best Illawarra players went to St George as if it was some feeder club."
Okay, so what you’re trying to say by holding this is that St George were the feeder club.

This is your third change of position.

Do you actually know what you’re trying to say?

Old Timer

Coach
So now you’re argument is not people saying it’s a feeder club, but now you’re saying it’s a feeder region?

C’mon man, your argument is about as coherent as the petition.
I suggest you read the post word by word and very slowly because you are seeing what you want to see rather than reading what was posted.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
OT, a lack of coherency on your behalf half does not equate a lack of comprehension on the readers side.

Yet, you seem to think a lot of people on here lack comprehension.

This Year?

Immortal
I’m just enjoying the full derp that’s going down in this thread..

I find it really sad to be honest. I'm a St George fan and even though I long for the pre-merger days, it sux seeing infighting between fans. We all support the same team and both sides of the board are just as responsible for the mess this club is in.

Like other posters have alluded to, people from the Illawarra region are part of the success too, not just the problems. I've met some wonderful Illawarra supporters who love this club as much as me and that would not have been possible without the joint venture.

If the Joint venture was split, either club has a very real chance of actually being culled the way things are with the NRL nowdays.

Latest posts