What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

RED73V

Juniors
I give up..

You’ve clearly lost the plot.. I can’t argue against stupidity..

If you’re a representation of the St George club, no wonder they’re such a lost cause.

You’ll come back with something about not being able to hack one thing or another, but wow man.. You’re not making sense..

In your eyes :eyes: which are closed
Are you the one who still haven’t actually asked me anything?

Still waiting..
Why would I you always defect !!!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I don't have to prove anything muzby you did it perfectly yourself
The Illawarra defence "I give up" says it all.
How is giving up an “Illawarra defence“?

Sorry bro, but you’re just more evidence as to why St George are irrelevant..

You’re a joke..

But don’t take it to heart, I’m sure you weren’t always that way.

RED73V

Juniors
How is giving up an “Illawarra defence“?

Sorry bro, but you’re just more evidence as to why St George are irrelevant..

You’re a joke..

But don’t take it to heart, I’m sure you weren’t always that way.
YOU NEED HELP

Willow

Assistant Moderator
They’re both 50% contributors..

So why should one give up half the name?
I already told you. St George is much a more successful name and therefore much easier from a marketing perspective. Calling us St George, or St George Dragons, seems like a fiscally responsible thing to do.. Plus calling us St George would resolve the arguments over our identity, history and records. IMO, that's pretty important and might help bring some much-needed pride into the Club, as well as amongst the supporters.

Do you not think this would be a great outcome for our heritage as well as providing an instantly recognisable 'brand' name? It seems to me that keeping a long hyphenated name is only being done for superficial reasons. It may even be holding us back.
Illawarra is more than the Steelers
Of course. Haven't said otherwise.
Our last two titles were won by the Cutters.
Ah, was that the team formerly known as the 'Cutters' that changed their name to simply 'Illawarra' after winning their first title? Yes, I believe so.

gregstar

Referee
We should restore the name St George on its own.

We should still however pay tribute to Illawarra in the same way we did when the joint venture commenced, in socks only.

And only in matches played at Wollongong.

I believe that's fair.

I believe the best solution is:

1. call the club St. George
2. Only play in red V, home and away
3. Train and play solely from Wollongong
4. Sell to a professional business group focused on winning premierships that has the business network and capital to make us a top 4 side every year.

Only then will the sleeping giant awaken.

NRL wants to reduce “Sydney” based Clubs. Give the NRL what they want.

Cronulla should it survive the next 2 years will be impossible to dislodge.

Should Cronulla collapse financially, incorporate Cronulla’s junior base and play half our home games at Shark Park.

And you were doing so well up until that.

Yeah, have to admit I thought twice before suggesting it.

Training and playing from two grounds is disruptive and doesn’t help our player recruitment.

It is the best way to avoid relocation to Perth/Adelaide/Darwin.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Ah, was that the team formerly known as the 'Cutters' that changed their name to simply 'Illawarra' after winning their first title? Yes, I believe so.
Precisely..

Illawarra is such a strong brand in itself, it doesn’t even need a moniker... Doesn’t need to gimmicks like Steelers or Cutters or Dragons.

Just Illawarra.

So if our name is too long, we could drop the dragons part of it and just be the St George Illawarras.

“C’mon, you Ill’s” we can all yell from the hill / seats during the games..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We should restore the name St George on its own.

We should still however pay tribute to Illawarra in the same way we did when the joint venture commenced, in socks only.

And only in matches played at Wollongong.

I believe that's fair.
So that’s why Tyson is leaving :thinking:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah, have to admit I thought twice before suggesting it.

Training and playing from two grounds is disruptive and doesn’t help our player recruitment.

It is the best way to avoid relocation to Perth/Adelaide/Darwin.
It's not too bad. Even a few of the old St George supporters see some logic in St George relocating to Wollongong. I don't recall this ever being discussed as an option in 1998. As it turned out, we only stayed at Kogarah for one season of the JV. So in retrospect, the whole thing looks like a bizarre episode without a lot of forethought.

The 'NRL criteria' reasons for leaving Kogarah never really made sense, and we returned to Kogarah in 2003, but we have battled for a 50/50 share ever since.

Interestingly, even when they ditched Kogarah from 1999-2002, we still continued to play some games at the SFS. One could be excused for thinking that the Club want a full relocation but are aware of Wollongong's limitations. Of course, that's assuming they had a plan.

Then throw into the mix that fiasco known as that Right Games Right Venue 'strategy'... a period where I've managed to block most memories.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Precisely..

Illawarra is such a strong brand in itself, it doesn’t even need a moniker... Doesn’t need to gimmicks like Steelers or Cutters or Dragons.

Just Illawarra.

So if our name is too long, we could drop the dragons part of it and just be the St George Illawarras.

“C’mon, you Ill’s” we can all yell from the hill / seats during the games..
That might have worked as an argument, but do you know the 2020 side have had yet another name again? The CC reserves are now called St George-Illawarra Dragons.

Should we petition the NSWRL?

Latest posts