Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by J.moz, Jun 12, 2020.

1. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I’m talking about a stand alone St George premiership.

Why can’t you comprehend that?

Removing under 15 has bugger all influence in improving those numbers, given that was 41 years ago.

You’re not going too well in this thread.. So many comprehension fails.

2. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

You mightn't like my post, you might like my assumptions but the maths relating to those statements and assumptions that I made were absolutely spot on despite your ridiculous assertion to the contrary.

So if you don't understand that god help the people you do maths for.

3. Willow

Willow Administrator

No, that's not what I said.

But your response is the same that I used to get from S0uffs forummers. I applaud you for trying to find common ground with opposition supporters.

4. smi962

smi962 Bench

Yes of course, Titans/Illawarra could also be successful if each of these pretty big and important prerequisites on private ownership/management/recruitment were addressed - but the current state of the club is so far away from what you suggest above.

I would suggest to put St George into such a position would involve different leadership, a lot of hard work and some luck; not sure where that leadership is coming from and we are definitely not in a position to believe a 'demerger' would be beneficial currently.

I would like to know what you believe the demographics are?

5. muzby

How is 30% more than 70%?

Help a brother out..

6. muzby

Don’t be silly.. Souffs fans say we only have 1..

7. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Never said it was & if you think it is then you need help & if you think I said it was you need even more help.

Just stick to the subject at hand where you criticised my maths and whilst doing that don't allow yourself to drift away and try to find a soft landing.

As I said you mighn't like the post, you mighn't like the assumptions but you didn't say that up front you criticised the maths.

8. possm

possm Coach

May 30% of St George supports totalled more individuals than 30% of all other clubs combined given that St George have a worldwide following second to none.

9. possm

possm Coach

May 30% of St George supports totalled more individuals than 30% of all other clubs combined given that St George have a worldwide following second to none.

10. Willow

Willow Administrator

It's up to you and others if you want to respect the 16 premierships. I know they happened.

But I am laying out the welcome mat. In particular, I genuinely want the Illawarra to be part of this.

The way I see it, the only real barrier is getting the JV board to agree that WE are St George.

To them it's just a brand name, so why oppose the brand with a history of great success? Why not just call us St George? I have yet to see a rational business answer to this question.

Dennis Papaioannou and Heavy D like this.
  11. Willow

Willow Administrator

You're a latecomer and have no idea about the debate taking place, but welcome to the thread.

Dennis Papaioannou and TruSaint like this.
  12. possm

possm Coach

Souths had their GF win count officially restored when they were let back into the NRL. So if St George went it alone, our GF count should also be officially restored.

Dennis Papaioannou likes this.
  13. muzby

I’m talking about the total population..

You can’t sub segment the entire population and then say it’s greater than the whole.

That’s worse maths than Old Timer’s.. Ir dare I say, even worse than Millward’s..

14. muzby

Please don’t backpeddle.

Explain how the majority of the Australian population has never seen a stand-alone St George premiership.

15. muzby

I respect the 16.. Hell, I’ve defended it against the souffs horde..

But if we’re talking from a business perspective, we’re asking for the Illawarra faction to stump up 50% of the cash, but give up their jersey & identity..

Getting one extra name in the crest, at the bottom of the crest, is not an unfair ask..

16. Willow

Willow Administrator

IMO, we have to go easy on members like Walpole. They don't read past basic stats.

You're right, the 'lean years' of the 80s and 90s were mingled with minor premierships, club championships and grand final appearances, plus semi-final appearances when it was the top five.

You may recall when coach Roy Masters came to the Club in 1982, we just had two years without a semi-final appearance. Masters dropped first graders and promoted the reserves. He said at the time that the firsts were struggling to make the top five for sucessive years, and this was "unacceptable for St George supporters". So he took drastic action. The team qualified for the semis. In 1985 we were minor premiers in all three grades.

Nowadays, this mob think that finishing eighth is a successful season.

So yeah, please spare me the "too many St George supporters have no recollection of the 80s" line. I recall it well enough, and it was nowhere near as bad as what we have seen in the 20-teens.

On the upside, I still firmly believe we can regain what Norm Provan used to call, "the habit of winning."

17. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Why would I need to explain that ?

18. Willow

Willow Administrator

Except it is damaging our identity.

The 'Illawarra faction' is called WIN Corp. They are not a football club.

The Illawarra Steelers Football Club do not have any financial stakeholdings in the JV.

It seems disingenuous to keep the Illawarra name there, especially when you think about how it is stalling our heritage.

FTR, I note that Andrew Gordon doesn't mind being promoted as "St George Dragons boss" when it comes to selling real estate. [SOURCE: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BhAB&usg=AOvVaw19NpgPbNE-SHpuq6UZkbYi&ampcf=1 ]

The St George name opens doors in business. So why not give us back our history?

We are all missing out here. Time to take back the castle.

19. muzby

But from a business perspective it doesn't make sense.

St George RLFC contribute less to the club than a minor sponsor.

20. muzby

Because so far you’ve pulled a few different stats out of your bum to try and prove relevance, unfortunately none of which have been able to do so..

If you’re going to try and argue with independent, statistically relevant fact, you’ll need to come up with a better explanation.

Or can’t you comprehend that?