What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most of the time that a city declines to bid for hosting rights, particularly of the Women's World Cup, is because of FIFA's minimum standards to be eligible to host matches, and not because they don't want to support the event over all.

FIFA requires host cities to meet minimum standards to be eligible to host matches, and those minimum standards are different depending on what stage of the tournament you want to host.

I'm not an expert on this so I might get some facts wrong on what the minimum standards are, but they don't only pertain to the stadium, that has to have x amount of seats, facilities, etc, but the cities themselves have to meet minimum standards as well.
For example the city has to have x amount of 5 star and/or 4 star hotels with x amount of rooms available, x amount of training facilities that meet certain standards, a minimum standard of public transport, etc, etc.

More often than not what's happened when a city passes on hosting a WC game is that the city, not the stadium, doesn't meet the minimum standards, and they can't or won't make the changes, often very expensive changes mind you, necessary to be eligible.

Can't say I really blame them either, I mean is spending potentially hundreds of millions not only on the stadium, but hundreds of millions on top of that on things like public transport and hotels that you won't need after the event, really worth it to most cities just for a couple pool matches in the Women's World Cup? Probably not right.

On top of that, the bid is a joint bid with NZ, and there're probably requirements on how many games need to be held in each country.

I suspect the govt may have wanted a spread as well to boost economies otherwise why would you choose tassie over GC?

Perth Tiger

Bench
Thanks mate, absolutely baffling to me they'd decline/not bid.

Admittedly I'm no Womens' Football expert but outside The Olympics and Men's Football world cup, (and possibly the Mens Cricket World Cup) - there would be no other world sporting tournament/event with more eyeballs on it than this...

Yet rather than the likes of the Gold Coast showcasing games with blue skies and mild weather in winter, we've got a game in the arctic blustery winter tasmanian weather, which isn't even rectangular.

Anyone know if the games are a mix of day/night games? York park on a rainy winters' night - absolutely no thank you!

Qld are still bidding for the Olympics aren't they, or they were when the chance to bid on games happened so they probably prioritized the spend on the Olympic bid instead.

TheRam

Coach
I predict that we will win the bid for the Women's WC, because we are the safest bet in the world to be COVID-19 free in the event that it drags on for years.

Panfas

Juniors
Some Nearmap updates on SFS

23 Dec 2018
EbPr3M0U8AESNUO

03 Mar 2019
EbPr9eVU4AA1IPk

12 May 2019
EbPs3wsUYAAraJq

1 Jul 2019
EbPs9XXVcAEAY_t

22 Oct 2019
EbPtCaqUwAMV_8d

Perth Red

Post Whore
concept of one management body is correct.

that management body being an archaic institution with a woeful history of facilities and project management, and frankly, run by a bunch of old fools who should be put out to pasture, is not.

Think most had hoped that NSW Govt would merge SCGT INTO the Stadium management company, not the other way round! Some good strings pulled there!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Be interesting to see if FIFA will set the minimum standards bar a little lower in a post Covid world and economies doing it tough everywhere. This shit could go on for years.
It's my understanding that neither the Aus and NZ bid or the Colombian bid come even close to meeting all of FIFA's minimum standards, hence why everybody thought that Japan had it in the bag once Brazil pulled out.

So they've already been forced to lower their standards because of COVID.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Now AFL GF being floated for ANZ

Why is this thing still oval??
Unlikely unless they are prepared to let in 80k, as Adelaide and Perth hold 55k and 60k. And if CV19 still prevents the MCG filling up (likely), having 60k Victorians at ANZ kinda defeats the purpose. They would need to close the borders and let fans fly in from the other states for it to be possible.
Don’t worry ANZ AFL GF won’t happen. Haven’t heard it mentioned down here. Will be in Perth or Adelaide if not MCG which are allowing 100% of capacity from next month.

Brutus

Referee
Looks like this AFL-loving idiot Tony Sheppard will be running the merged NSW stadiums mob.

It has all worked out exactly how I thought it would. The ANZ Stadium re-development would be canned and the SFS would go ahead.

As soon as they went with the SFS knockdown first, it was over.

That fat Stuart Ayres prick and his SCG Trust mates won the day.

It's criminal that the 80k biggest stadium in Sydney remains oval.

The AFL wins again.

Vee

First Grade
Looks like this AFL-loving idiot Tony Sheppard will be running the merged NSW stadiums mob.

It has all worked out exactly how I thought it would. The ANZ Stadium re-development would be canned and the SFS would go ahead.

As soon as they went with the SFS knockdown first, it was over.

That fat Stuart Ayres prick and his SCG Trust mates won the day.

It's criminal that the 80k biggest stadium in Sydney remains oval.

The AFL wins again.
My only surprise is that anyone doubted it would

taipan

Referee
Yep.AFL gets to play semis in an oval ANZ.A ground they always wanted to remain in that configuration. Shepherd is like a fifth columnist, pretending to be friends to all, but as Giant's Chairman subversively pushing the AFL barrow.
He made his point some time ago, when he was in full praise of AFL as a sport compared to the others, and how his club was doing better with X numbers of members.
Never trusted the guy then, and my view remains unchanged.
V'Landys has got to continue to take it up to these guys, they've been getting their own way at taxpayers' expense for far too long.

hrundi99

First Grade
These AFL types are insidious. At our local grounds we have our rectangular field which is for juniors/seniors. We also had access to the ground next to it and shared with soccer. Now we've lost access to that field and it has AFL posts on it. On a rectangular field. I'm sure soccer aren't happy about it. On the other side is a brand new fake grass oval complex for AFL and cricket.

I noticed on Tuesday night they were also setting up to do training on the asphalt netball courts, that are currently used by 2 separate local netball clubs.

Latest posts