What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jordan Pereira Extends

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Periera - I like his enthusiasm but i'd like to see him slow down a little when he first gets the ball.

He's like a headless chicken, not knowing what direction he's about to go, his legs are all over the shop with no balance or steadiness.

The five seconds he takes to get everything in motion, the play is all but gone. I think more time in first grade experience, along with some steady advice from an experience winger, would help him slow down in the very first instance, make a decision ............. and go for it.

Anyway, just my two bobs worth.

LINESPEED

Juniors
pereiraj-190505_gt_3.jpg

DRAGONS

Pereira disappointed over sin-binning
Author
Tanisha Stanton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 6 May 2019, 08:01 PM
stantontanisha-head.png

St George Illawarra winger Jordan Pereira left the field at Bankwest Stadium earlier than expected red-faced and hot under the collar.

Pereira was frustrated after copping the first sin-binning of his career in the 32-18 loss to the Eels – marched in the 74th minute of Sunday's clash after he was ruled to have pushed Mitchell Moses in the back in a chase for the ball.

The 26-year-old speedster was angry at himself for leaving his teammates one player short for the closing stages of the match but said he thought he had not done anything to warrant being banished.

"I've never been sent off before," Pereira said.

"I'm really disappointed in myself – I feel like I let the team down.

"I didn't believe there was any foul play from point of view – I was just competing for the ball.

"I competed in a previous play with Blake Ferguson but I came off second best with him getting a try so I wanted to redeem myself and compete as much as I could to get the ball.

"I thought it was a fair contest but it's a tough one when someone falls over, it always looks bad but my eyes were all for the ball."

Match Highlights: Eels v Dragons

Sunday's performance means the Dragons have suffered back-to-back losses after they suffered their first defeat in five games the previous week against the Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

In more bad news for the Dragons, Corey Norman will undergo surgery on Tuesday for a fractured cheekbone, while fellow stars Gareth Widdop (shoulder), Korbin Sims (broken arm) and Jack de Belin, who has been stood down by the NRL, are also unavailable.

Second-rower Tyson Frizell's eye injury is not serious and the club believes he will be fit for Saturday's Magic Round stoush with the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium.

Pereira said the absence of several stars presented an opportunity for some of the team's inexperienced players to step up to the challenge.

"Everyone was really upset in the shed after the game," Pereira said.

"But that's the good thing about rugby league we have an opportunity next week to redeem ourselves.

"Losing Normie is a big one but we have good depth within the squad and there are boys there ready to go.

"We as a unit need to step up and support each other.

"I feel we owe it to the boys who are out to produce a solid performance on Saturday against the Warriors to get us back on track."

Warriors v Dragons - Magic Round

Warriors v Dragons
What will be the result of their round 9 clash?

Warriors v Dragons What will be the result of their round 9 clash?
  • Warriors 1-10
    0%
  • Warriors 11+
    0%
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/07/pereira-disappointed-over-sin-binning/

Sorry, but I’m still disappointed over losing Garrick

& less interested in what Jordy’s got to say

Just hate seeing juniors overlooked for mediocre & inexperienced imports FFS

SnowDragon

Juniors
Periera - I like his enthusiasm but i'd like to see him slow down a little when he first gets the ball.

He's like a headless chicken, not knowing what direction he's about to go, his legs are all over the shop with no balance or steadiness.

The five seconds he takes to get everything in motion, the play is all but gone. I think more time in first grade experience, along with some steady advice from an experience winger, would help him slow down in the very first instance, make a decision ............. and go for it.

Anyway, just my two bobs worth.

No doubt there is room for improvement, but think how far the guy has come in 12months! From your comments OKB, maybe Jason Nightingale should advise him a bit maybe? (Though different types)

To be honest, he is kinda turning into my favourite player. When he does make a mistake, he doubles his efforts. He is also learning what works for him as a player. Considering the salary cap we are held to, players like JP are gold in my opinion! (I much prefer him to Garrick... sorry Linespeed :) )

The Damo

Juniors
Sorry, but I’m still disappointed over losing Garrick

& less interested in what Jordy’s got to say

Just hate seeing juniors overlooked for mediocre & inexperienced imports FFS
Garrick and JP are equal for tries and line breaks.
Jp has made 270 more running metres and 15 more tackle breaks. 1 more offload. 21 more runs over 8 metres.
Garrick has made 1 more error, and missed 5 times as many tackles 15 to 3, and more than double the ineffective tackles, 10 to 4. JP’s tackle efficiency is 84% equal third for wingers. Garrick’s is 62% which is down near the bottom of he list. Garrick has conceded 6 line breaks to JP’s 2.
It’s fair enough to be disappointed losing Garrick, the kids got some talent. But JP is unequivocallly better, and one of the top performing wingers in the comp. he’s a long way from mediocre.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Pereira always puts the team first, unlike some players in the team...
He always gives his 100% and is extremely humble and looks to improve on his mistakes. Keep in mind, this guy was playing PARK footy a couple of years back.

He is one of the only players in the club that truly reflects what our club used to be like.

Old Timer

Coach
There can be no criticism of what Pereira has achieved nor his devotion to the task and to the team.
IMO his best is ok and tradesman like but for me I would want a bigger faster winger especially allowing for the deficiencies already in our back line.
The criticism is IMO how he got a 1st grade gig in the 1st place as we should have already promoted 1 of our own or gone to market and signed a high quality winger.
All power to Pereira he deserves to be praised for his effort but that should not be interpreted that he is a high quality NRL winger or that recruitment and coaching have done a good job by promoting him.
Good player to fill in for injuries but well short of a select every week quality winger.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
I like him but you can't have 2 wingers who don't know the game learning in the top grade.

He has improved out of site from last year probably just needs to use the sideline better and cut in when running out of room.

I couldn't believe it when I read within a week of each both he and Ravalawa don't watch any games.

Coach should of had them in a video room watching what the better wingers do.

rednwhites

Juniors
I couldn't believe it when I read within a week of each both he and Ravalawa don't watch any games.

That's unacceptable in this day and age. That will only make it hurt more when we watch each of them come off their line and misread a play. Says it all about our current state. We finally got the half back we needed but in just about every other regard we have never been so messed up.

merahputih

Juniors
I like him but you can't have 2 wingers who don't know the game learning in the top grade.

He has improved out of site from last year probably just needs to use the sideline better and cut in when running out of room.

Coach should of had them in a video room watching what the better wingers do.
That would be too professional for our 'coach'. He's more focused on being Mr Nice Guy and keeping his happy group of favorites on side. Imagine what they'd cop from Bellamy or Robinson for a performance like today. It makes me cry when I recall Sean O'Connor, Illawarra director at the time, in an article in the Illawarra Mercury ( when Doust was trying to get Bennett back), pushing for Mary as coach back in 2014, saying 'he would be better than Bennett' for the long term benefit of the club. FMD!

getsmarty

Immortal
Recalled Pereira leaning on lessons from bumpy 2019
Dragons Den
r0_0_4716_3018_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BACK: Jordan Pereira has earned an instant recall for Sunday's clash with the Sea Eagles. Picture: NRL Imagery
HE played a final at a packed Suncorp Stadium in just his eighth NRL game, but Jordan Pereira's instant return from suspension may be an even bigger vote of confidence from Dragons coach Paul McGregor.

A late bloomer in the NRL, Pereira missed losses to the Roosters and Raiders through suspension, opening the door for young-gun Jason Saab to make his first appearances of 2020.

Tipped to be a future star, Saab's management made multiple requests for a release from his three-year deal in the lead-up, but it hasn't stopped McGregor rushing Pereira straight back into his 17 for Sunday's clash with the Sea Eagles.

the 27-year-old Kiwi said he never expected to simply walk back into the side like Origin back-rower Tariq Sims, who's returning from injury.

"There was no inkling or nudges that 'you're in this week' so I probably found out when [the media] found out as well," Pereira said.

"I was hoping but, at the same time, trying not to get my hopes up. I'm not the type of player with the Tariq Sims type of credentials, he's got the body of work that speaks for itself.

"I haven't earned that right yet so I was also ready for the hard news that, if the boys were winning, [McGregor] would have to stick with it. I was willing to accept that and be happy for the guys that got an opportunity.

"That's how I got my opportunity, thought unfortunate circumstances, injuries. I took it and did what I could with it. I'm a grateful person for the position I'm in and this just adds to that, it brings a little bit more gratitude to be in the starting side and wear the number two."

He won't be taking it for granted either after a bumpy ride through 2019 that saw him play the Dragons first 11 games before being dropped to reserve grade and ultimately suffering a career-threatening neck injury.

He did enough to earn a wing spot this season and he's looking to truly lock it down after admittedly letting that opportunity slip last season.

"Midway through last year I felt very comfortable and I felt like I'd established myself as an NRL player but then I didn't have a few performances to back up that feeling," he said.

"I wasn't complacent, but it might have seemed that way when I had a terrible game against the Sharks and ended up getting dropped. This year I'm going to try and not have that.

"I'm trying to have a good balance between needing to earn that spot but not play with the nerves of being new [to the NRL]. I'm there again now, I don't feel the outside pressures, I don't feel timid or nervous. I feel like I'm really confident in my role and comfortable as an NRL player."

He may not be feeling, but outside pressure will continue to pile on his side should they drop Sunday's clash to a Sea Eagles side missing a number of big names.

It leaves them vulnerable, but the Dragons weren't able to capitalise on similar chinks in the Roosters and Raiders armour, though Pereira saw positives in both outings.

"I was proud of the way the boys ripped in, they were the two grand final sides from last year," he said.

"I'm not the best analyst of the game, I'll never be a head coach, I'm not that way inclined, but I thought the boys played really well and just got a bit unlucky in a few areas.

"We missed a few opportunities that could've been points, Flanno [assistant coach Shane Flanagan] showed us them on film and they were genuine points we left on the board.

"It's good we've identified those and we're looking to capitalise on them in the same situations going forward."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...a-leaning-on-lessons-from-bumpy-2019/?cs=3713

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Recalled Pereira leaning on lessons from bumpy 2019
Dragons Den
r0_0_4716_3018_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BACK: Jordan Pereira has earned an instant recall for Sunday's clash with the Sea Eagles. Picture: NRL Imagery
HE played a final at a packed Suncorp Stadium in just his eighth NRL game, but Jordan Pereira's instant return from suspension may be an even bigger vote of confidence from Dragons coach Paul McGregor.

A late bloomer in the NRL, Pereira missed losses to the Roosters and Raiders through suspension, opening the door for young-gun Jason Saab to make his first appearances of 2020.

Tipped to be a future star, Saab's management made multiple requests for a release from his three-year deal in the lead-up, but it hasn't stopped McGregor rushing Pereira straight back into his 17 for Sunday's clash with the Sea Eagles.

the 27-year-old Kiwi said he never expected to simply walk back into the side like Origin back-rower Tariq Sims, who's returning from injury.

"There was no inkling or nudges that 'you're in this week' so I probably found out when [the media] found out as well," Pereira said.

"I was hoping but, at the same time, trying not to get my hopes up. I'm not the type of player with the Tariq Sims type of credentials, he's got the body of work that speaks for itself.

"I haven't earned that right yet so I was also ready for the hard news that, if the boys were winning, [McGregor] would have to stick with it. I was willing to accept that and be happy for the guys that got an opportunity.

"That's how I got my opportunity, thought unfortunate circumstances, injuries. I took it and did what I could with it. I'm a grateful person for the position I'm in and this just adds to that, it brings a little bit more gratitude to be in the starting side and wear the number two."

He won't be taking it for granted either after a bumpy ride through 2019 that saw him play the Dragons first 11 games before being dropped to reserve grade and ultimately suffering a career-threatening neck injury.

He did enough to earn a wing spot this season and he's looking to truly lock it down after admittedly letting that opportunity slip last season.

"Midway through last year I felt very comfortable and I felt like I'd established myself as an NRL player but then I didn't have a few performances to back up that feeling," he said.

"I wasn't complacent, but it might have seemed that way when I had a terrible game against the Sharks and ended up getting dropped. This year I'm going to try and not have that.

"I'm trying to have a good balance between needing to earn that spot but not play with the nerves of being new [to the NRL]. I'm there again now, I don't feel the outside pressures, I don't feel timid or nervous. I feel like I'm really confident in my role and comfortable as an NRL player."

He may not be feeling, but outside pressure will continue to pile on his side should they drop Sunday's clash to a Sea Eagles side missing a number of big names.

It leaves them vulnerable, but the Dragons weren't able to capitalise on similar chinks in the Roosters and Raiders armour, though Pereira saw positives in both outings.

"I was proud of the way the boys ripped in, they were the two grand final sides from last year," he said.

"I'm not the best analyst of the game, I'll never be a head coach, I'm not that way inclined, but I thought the boys played really well and just got a bit unlucky in a few areas.

"We missed a few opportunities that could've been points, Flanno [assistant coach Shane Flanagan] showed us them on film and they were genuine points we left on the board.

"It's good we've identified those and we're looking to capitalise on them in the same situations going forward."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...a-leaning-on-lessons-from-bumpy-2019/?cs=3713

The second last paragraph is the most interesting.

So now Flanno is doing the video sessions? So wtf does Mc85 do?