What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 10 Parra v Manly GAME DAY thread 18/7/20

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yeah you could feel Reed & Drown's inexperience with chasing points. We weren't setting up plays correctly. The second Suli came back on, we had to be crashing down the right to set up Gutho/Jenko/Sivo on left. We did it once and scored. Every other time we either didn't set up or we didn't go left. Even though he plays the other side, Moses would help here.

Gutho didn’t help much in attack either.

Also I reckon we didn’t play “flat” enough tonight (especially in the second half), losing Nrown probably contributed to this.

Joely01

Bench

I reckon they are entitled to a complacent game or two this season. They have nothing to prove with their ability generally and specifically to turn up when it matters. I dont think their fans would suddenly be wondering who the real Roosters are.
Whereas Parra fans are entitled to be pissed if these guys think they can be complacent.

You think being complacent is being behind by 16 points and losing the game by 4?
At the end of the year if (big if) we win the comp I’m pretty sure we won’t look back and think damn we should’ve pushed hard for that manly game in round 9 and won that!

Incorrect

Coach
My turn to be apologetic and make excuses for our deficiencies... I think Dylan Brown has been doing OK considering he has a halves partner who, especially tonight, might as well have stayed in the team bus. Field did nothing to share the load and help out a bloke who is, don't forget, 2 or 3 years younger than him.

Coupled with the fact that Gutho didn't really play that quasi halves role tonight for some reason, Brown was playing a lone hand. Thought he played tough on a tough night...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm a massive fan of his, and I agree - he's been struggling.

But imo, that's on Arthur - Brown is 20, with fewer than 50 First Grade games under his belt.

Partnering him with Field...not a stroke of genius...

I don’t think he is struggling, just not suitable as the sole play maker. But also basically being our “sole” half doesn’t help him either, it’s not like field is take a lot of pressure of him.

Dibs

Bench

Also I reckon we didn’t play “flat” enough tonight (especially in the second half), losing Nrown probably contributed to this.
I noticed this in the first half. We weren’t pushing up enough when looking to go wide and were catching passes while on our heels, especially when looking to put a kick in.

84 Baby

Referee
No. But if the lad makes it to FG, he needs to have some sort of impact. Do you see him playing FG regularly?
What a silly question. He isn't a regular first grader. He played because Moses is out injured. He played a good running game his first game, and a good defensive game his second one. Tonight he was largely irrelevant, he didn't help us but he isn't the reason we lost. I'll take 2 ok games from 3 from the injury cover half. Do people honestly expect us to have regular first graders not in our top 17?

Gazzamatta

Coach
Our tactics were hard to understand. Head down barging into the meat of the defence didnt work from minute 1 to minute 80. The couple of times we shifted the ball we scored or made ground. I kept waiting for the penny to drop. It didnt. Even when we made ground in the middle we just went straight back there. Teams are compressing their D and we need to be aware of that.
RCG, Gutho and Niukore were magnificent but nobody played off them. If we keep waiting for opposition teams to tire we might be dissapointed. Manly definitely worked us out tonight.
Does Yvonne Samson annoy anybody else as much as she does me. I think id rather listen to Gus Gould than her.

Dibs

Bench
So you heard the linesman?
So you heard the ref say yes youre right suli it a penalty? You do know linesmen have mikes in their flags to tip off the ref? And even if suli convinced the ref we are still back to don’t push back down and it won’t happen.

84 Baby

Referee

Yeah Gunco needed to get them (and by them I mean Reed) setting up down the right, but if anyone was really unfocused tonight I thought it was Gutho. Booting the ball after the 40/20 showed the game was getting to him.
And yeah it didn't look really really wet, but why was Sivo receiving passes 10m behind the play the ball?
If he's doing that someone has to blast him. A lot of the players were very deep in that first 20

Wally21

Bench
What a silly question. He isn't a regular first grader. He played because Moses is out injured. He played a good running game his first game, and a good defensive game his second one. Tonight he was largely irrelevant, he didn't help us but he isn't the reason we lost. I'll take 2 ok games from 3 from the injury cover half. Do people honestly expect us to have regular first graders not in our top 17?
Didn’t suggest he was the reason we lost mate. Just saying the boy is not going to be a regular first grader. He seems a great kid. Just don’t see him controlling a first grade NRL side is all

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I noticed this in the first half. We weren’t pushing up enough when looking to go wide and were catching passes while on our heels, especially when looking to put a kick in.

the first half was terrible, it looked like Mahoney was having a shocker but our halves (think mostly Drown) was that far back on several occasions Reed need a telescope to see where he was....

Latest posts