What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

hindy111

Post Whore
I can, and his name is James Fisher-Harris.

JFH is very good and he is in my top 10 middle forwards. Give hin another 12mths and he will be top 5. But RCG form is ridiculous. Maybe that Storm prop is better. But if picking NSW side RCG is first named.

Jane Murray

Bench
JFH is very good and he is in my top 10 middle forwards. Give hin another 12mths and he will be top 5. But RCG form is ridiculous. Maybe that Storm prop is better. But if picking NSW side RCG is first named.
RCG is a flop. His form, whilst a Panther, was subpar. I am pleased he has left. Also, the way he bagged the club, after he left, left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
RCG is the same quantity over quality. The more hit ups he takes the better for the opposition as nothing happens on his hit ups or off the back of them. Packer was the only first grader in the middle out there for the Tigers and rag dolled RCG when he got a hold of him.

I have to say. What about RCG form. I can't think of a better prop at the moment. I was concerned when Parra signed him. I thought at best he will be a solid prop. But he has gone to another level. I'd say he rivals Taoumolo if consider his defensive side.

This is ridiculous.

You’ll soon find out how quickly he turns soft when he gets an injury setback.

chrisD

Coach
RCG is the same quantity over quality. The more hit ups he takes the better for the opposition as nothing happens on his hit ups or off the back of them. Packer was the only first grader in the middle out there for the Tigers and rag dolled RCG when he got a hold of him.
Actually to correct myself, the play before the chip and chase try by Moses was an RCG hit up where he got driven back 10 meters. So sometimes something does happen after one of his hit ups.

Fangs

Coach
In good form, but has a lot to prove. Especially at the backend of the year when it truly matters. Not to take away from last night's performance but the Tigers pack isn't very good right now.

Saifiti, Klemmer, Big Jake and Finucane. I don't think RCG replaces any of those 4 middles for NSW. Maybe he replaces a guy like Payne Haas. But the latter is a far more dynamic player from the bench. Paul Vaughn was the other middle last year.

Personally can't wait to see Yeo in a sky blue jersey ;)

Jane Murray

Bench
In good form, but has a lot to prove. Especially at the backend of the year when it truly matters. Not to take away from last night's performance but the Tigers pack isn't very good right now.

Saifiti, Klemmer, Big Jake and Finucane. I don't think RCG replaces any of those 4 middles for NSW. Maybe he replaces a guy like Payne Haas. But the latter is a far more dynamic player from the bench. Paul Vaughn was the other middle last year.

Personally can't wait to see Yeo in a sky blue jersey ;)
Me too. It won't happen though.

Bob

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...0/news-story/c43bef3c47e8f73fc092a1a79815562d

Cameron Ciraldo guiding Penrith to it’s best defensive season since 1992 and a NRL title in 2020
Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
July 24, 2020 5:01pm
Subscriber only
If defence wins NRL premierships then Penrith are well on the way to a title, their first since 2003.

And they have their assistant coach to thank for it – but it’s not Trent Barrett.

Barrett, who officially takes over as Canterbury head coach in November, is credited with turning Penrith’s attack around in season 2020.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

fc7a9fbd530714e09a73e01c03b8584f

Panthers assistant coach Cameron Ciraldo has done wonders with the team’s defence.

But it’s Ivan Cleary’s other right-hand man, Cameron Ciraldo, that is turning the Panthers into a premiership force – through defence.

According to Fox Sports Lab, Penrith are conceding a mere 14.4 points per game, which is five points less than last year. It has also put the Panthers on course for their best defensive season since 1992.

Five-eighth Jarome Luai said his side’s defensive steel is the handy work of Ciraldo.

“It’s big props to Cam Ciraldo there, our defensive coach. He deserves a lot of raps for how we are defending, it was pretty intense in the pre-season and he helped us week in week out get our defence right,” Luai said.

Since 1990, every NRL premiership winner has conceded on average 15.5 points or less per game during the regular season. The only exception was the Cronulla Sharks (16.8 points per game) in 2016.

The Panthers are also completing at over 82 per cent, the best of any side in the competition.

Outside back Malakai Watene-Zelezniak believes his side’s discipline with the ball has fuelled the defensive effort.

b0bac18a3a1ea5a71fa4f8a9179a8620

Penrith assistants Cameron Ciraldo and Trent Barrett are making Ivan Cleary’s job easier.
“We’ve worked hard during the pre-season and defence has been one of the main components, and we’ve worked really hard as a team to fix it from last year,” he said.

“Going back to our attack as well, our attack is helping our defence massively … if we are holding the ball, completing and getting some pretty effective set ends it gives a bit more energy in defence to be able to focus on that.”

But Ciraldo isn’t the only man at Penrith leaving his mark. Halfback Nathan Cleary is also making an impact, but on opposition players.

Luai revealed Cleary has anointed himself ‘The Hitman’ after he ironed out North Queensland’s Justin O’Neill, then behemoth Coen Hess in a matter of seconds last weekend.

“He’s been calling himself ‘The Hitman’ around training for a couple of days,” Luai said with a laugh.

“He’s trying to get me to do the same this week, put on a few shots. He’s killing it man and I’m really happy for Nath, he’s only going to get better.”

But Cleary wasn’t throwing around his newly acquired bulky frame for the sake of it. With the scores level 10-all in the second half, Cleary’s aggressive defence on Hess forced an error and changed the momentum of the game.

1ffc96691597daebc92799cf99a8a623

The Hitman is in rare form.
56f555998d204fc988de6cc7b565674a

Ivan Cleary should be a contented man.
“He knew exactly what the team needed and he came up with a play, for me it was the key moment in the game for us … he switched momentum and put a lot of energy throughout the whole team,” Luai said.

The Panthers can reclaim the top of the NRL from Parramatta with a win over the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday. They’ll have to do it without arguably the buy of the year, hooker Api Koroisau. The crafty rake is sidelined with an elbow injury.

Luai said Penrith’s young spine would miss the experienced voice of Koroisau to guide them around the field.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I used to think Junior and Brown but RCG has passed both. I am basing only on this season's form.

Reg is very capable of what I call 'splashes of form'. Medium to long term he can (and has done in the past) drift.

Reg struggled after his 2 broken jaws, (I think add in a marriage break up too). The proceeded to throw his toys out of the cot when dropped and then put on the bench.. For the money he was costing Penrith, he was not good value.

Reg's ball handing and error count still leaves a lot to be desired.

JFH each and every has improved and built on his previous solid base. James is a ball playing front rower, (similar in style to the english ones of the 60's and 70's)

I've also been very impressed with Leota this year, his post contact meters are quite good, along with his line breaks.

More than happy with the choices Penrith made.

Jane Murray

Bench
Reg is very capable of what I call 'splashes of form'. Medium to long term he can (and has done in the past) drift.

Reg struggled after his 2 broken jaws, (I think add in a marriage break up too). The proceeded to throw his toys out of the cot when dropped and then put on the bench.. For the money he was costing Penrith, he was not good value.

Reg's ball handing and error count still leaves a lot to be desired.

JFH each and every has improved and built on his previous solid base. James is a ball playing front rower, (similar in style to the english ones of the 60's and 70's)

I've also been very impressed with Leota this year, his post contact meters are quite good, along with his line breaks.

More than happy with the choices Penrith made.
Also, there was a rumour, that he was apart of the infamous sex tapes.

flash

Juniors
We will never know. You have to wonder about Waqa as well. DWZ, well that would be a huge surprise. Maybe when Tyrone May writes his memoirs.
Gould alluded to it when talking him up last night after his try, said his form dipped with injury and off field issues

hindy111

Post Whore
Players sometimes need a change.

I thought Blake would be better. But MJ is outplaying him.
RCG has suprised. I wouldn't trade him for Klemmer or Vaughn.
Payne Hass of course. He is a freak.