What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

WA Tiger

Bench
Lawrence has Madges favour. He was up in the coaches box a couple of weeks ago. Lawrence is a wise old owl and a potential leader but I think now perhaps more of a sounding board and a calm voice for Madge ...could be grooming him for an assistant coaching stint?

I enjoyed that but back to reality Mbye is a protected species. He will remain at centre unless injured...All eyes on AD this week re positioning and tackling. Warriors would be silly not to target him.. I read today the new kid plays all positions in the backline.

Tiger05

First Grade
I enjoyed that but back to reality Mbye is a protected species.

I don't think anyone at the Tigers is a protected species. Mbye has been great defensively most of the season and he hasn't been bad in attack. The issue with Mbye is that he is overpaid for what he offers. He needs to do a lot more in attack but that doesn't mean he isn't the best option for us in that left centre role. I think that is the only reason he has been retained.

I can see Madge dropping him if we get a better option in the centres. He will also take a massive hit to his pay rate for his next contract unless he somehow develops into an elite player which I don't think is going to happen.

The reality is that he isn't performing up to the required standard and I'm pretty confident Madge gets rid of players like that. It'll happen.

Tigerm

First Grade
I see Cam Smith is finally injured (hope nothing serious) & not sure he will be out of the game but he has had a great run, hasn't he.
Hopefully this does not effect his plans to play on next year?

Das Hassler

Bench
*Prediction...no spectators again within 3 - 4 weeks and the season called before the finals with the ladder leader at the time declared the 2020 premiers. Victoria was doing quite ok a month sgo...once again it's just a matter of time.

* For amusement / entertainment purposes only. ..no guarantees given or implied...your results may vary

Tigerm

First Grade
*Prediction...no spectators again within 3 - 4 weeks and the season called before the finals with the ladder leader at the time declared the 2020 premiers. Victoria was doing quite ok a month sgo...once again it's just a matter of time.

* For amusement / entertainment purposes only. ..no guarantees given or implied...your results may vary
If we are not going to win it (which is highly unlikely) then it should be called off, as a no contest season:)

Tigerm

First Grade
I think his season is all but over, but Liddle due back shortly/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/c4ef35eede76783cddefef8aafa799ce

Casualty Ward: Big blow for Tigers as Harry Grant injury ‘worse than first thought’

The Wests Tigers could be without gun hooker Harry Grant for almost a month amid reports his knee injury is worst than first feared and requires minor surgery.

TIGERS

Michael Chee Kam (seizure) – Round 13

Russell Packer (suspension) – Round 13

Joey Leilua (suspension) – Round 13

Jacob Liddle (knee) – Round 14-15

Harry Grant (knee) - Round 15-16

Zane Musgrove (foot) – Round 16-18

Ron's_Mate

Bench
'Freshen-up will do Harry wonders': Maguire says Grant back in month
By Christian Nicolussi
August 6, 2020 — 5.05pm

Harry Grant will undergo knee surgery on Friday and be sidelined for a month in a huge blow to the Wests Tigers and his own Dally M hopes.

The rookie hooker and the Tigers remained unsure of the exact moment he tore part of his meniscus in his knee during last Friday's loss to the New Zealand Warriors.

The injury setback has forced the Tigers to turn to Moses Mbye, who trained all summer at dummy-half and will wear the No. 9 against Newcastle on Saturday, while Maguire also confirmed Jacob Liddle would be ready to be seriously considered for selection next week after overcoming a ruptured ACL.

Grant, on loan from Melbourne, topped the Dally M leaderboard before voting went behind closed doors and could return for the round-17 clash against Manly, or five days later on a Thursday night against Souths.

The Dally M race looks Clint Gutherson's to lose now Grant is sidelined and another front-runner, Cameron Smith, is expected to miss a couple of weeks before returning from a shoulder injury against Gutherson's Eels.

"We've been told four to six weeks with Harry, but the surgeon has told us it will be about four weeks,'' Maguire said.

"He's got a little nick on his meniscus and they're going to get in and tidy that up on Friday morning.

"Being his first year and the way he puts his body on the line, a little freshen-up will do him wonders.

"Harry is a loss but it's also about your club having depth and getting through these periods.

"Moses Mbye played in a Grand Final at hooker. He spent plenty of time there in the off-season, he's very capable and we talked about utilising him there so we could carry four forwards on the bench.

"This weekend has also allowed us to put Tommy Talau into the centres and let us bring in Asu Kepaoa.''

Liddle, 23, has had a shocking run with injuries and could have played against Newcastle, who have their own No. 9 problems. Kurt Mann is the latest hooker to start at the Knights.

"Jacob has been training really strongly the last couple of weeks, he's back in contention for selection and could have played this week, I was tempted, but he's been out all year and just needed another week's worth of solid training.''

The Tigers were stunned by the Warriors and will be looking to kickstart their finals hunt against a Newcastle team desperate to get back into the winner's circle themselves.

Blake Green plays his first game for Newcastle after signing a deal at the start of the week, while Chris Lawrence plays his 250th NRL game, and Benji Marshall his 250th in Tigers' colours.

Maguire was linked to a move to North Queensland at the start of the week, but was never interested. "I want to win a comp here at the Wests Tigers, he told the Herald.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fr...says-grant-back-in-month-20200806-p55j8m.html

Tiger05

First Grade
Liddle is due back in the next fortnight. How many games you reckon we get out of him this season ?

I love the way Madge talks about opportunities when he gets injuries.

stryker

First Grade
Liddle is due back in the next fortnight. How many games you reckon we get out of him this season ?

I love the way Madge talks about opportunities when he gets injuries.
0 I would suspect.
With no games for so long he wouldn’t be able to keep up.

Tigerm

First Grade
I see Penrith will not allow there loan player (to the warriors) to play against them?

I wonder if that is a standard and if the Storm & Us have that with our loan players?

WA Tiger

Bench
I see Penrith will not allow there loan player (to the warriors) to play against them?

I wonder if that is a standard and if the Storm & Us have that with our loan players?
The articles Ive read are pretty self explanatory

Fordy20

Juniors
This is Liddles chance..

Liddle/Walters (off the bench)

Walters will probably be out for the rest of the season now. We desperately need Liddle back next week, especially since it's a must win match to avoid the spoon.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
'I can't rationalise it': Tigers boss feels for fans as finals slip away again
By Chris Barrett

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis says his heart aches for supporters of a club staring down the barrel of a decade without a semi-finals appearance and the joint venture’s roster can't be used as an excuse for under-achievement.

Barely three weeks since thumping Brisbane 48-0, the Tigers’ hopes of a long-awaited return to the NRL top eight look to be all but dashed following a third straight defeat, a 44-4 hammering at the hands of Newcastle on Saturday night.

It was a terrible flop on an occasion when the team’s season was virtually on the line and club favourites Benji Marshall and Chris Lawrence were marking their 250th matches.

“My heart aches for those fans and members as I sit in front of the TV and watch a performance like [Saturday night] and just cannot rationalise it,” Hagipantelis said on Sunday. “I just do not understand where a performance like that comes from.

“As the chair I feel an obligation and a responsibility to our fans and members to provide them a product of which they can be proud. We would all have been bitterly disappointed with [Saturday] night’s effort. I don’t think there would be anyone that could say otherwise. There is no point in sugar-coating it.”

There was a further blow on Sunday when emerging playmaker Billy Walters was ruled out for the rest of the season with a serious knee injury.

The Tigers have a horror run over the final seven rounds of the shortened 20-game competition in which they face the top four sides – Penrith, Melbourne, Parramatta and the Roosters – as well as Souths and Manly. They will almost certainly have to win at least five of their remaining matches, starting with next Sunday’s clash with bottom-placed Canterbury at Bankwest Stadium, to make the finals.

They have not done so since 2011, the longest current streak away from the semis of any NRL club. That drought seems destined now to stretch for a full decade, the last two years on the watch of Michael Maguire.

The coach has tried shuffling key players like Marshall and Luke Brooks in and out of the side in an effort to find his best combination but the ploy hasn’t ultimately worked.

The Tigers lack the strength across their squad to challenge the best teams and there are also questions about the value for money provided by top earners like Joey Leilua and Moses Mbye, who has been played in several positions, most recently at hooker in place of the injured Harry Grant.

The chairman, however, is not interested in excuses.

“You often hear about transitioning and rotating of rosters and the like, but our fans and members don’t want to hear that anymore,” Hagipantelis said. “They want the roster that is there to perform as we all do, they want the administrators and the board to perform and they’re entitled to that expectation.

“We are all bitterly disappointed with the performances of late and we’ve all got to take a share of the responsibility for that.”

While club legend Marshall is yet to decide whether he will seek another season at the Tigers in 2021, Maguire, remains very much in their plans beyond next year, when he is off contract.

“Michael has a vision for the club and shares our vision. So from our perspective we couldn’t be happier [with him],” the chairman said. “It’s publicly known that Michael is off contract at the end of next year and it would be remiss of us not to be considering 2022, ‘23 and beyond. Every option is on the table at the moment; every option is being considered by the board and we are absolutely committed to doing what is necessary to ensure the long-term success of the club.”

Hagipantelis said he had contacted fullback Adam Doueihi, who was distraught after the heavy defeat to the Knights.

“He’s OK, but there are incredible pressures on these kids they have to deal with in a high-profile position,” he said. “They operate daily in the public eye.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...s-finals-slip-away-again-20200809-p55k1m.html