What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

George Sancti

Juniors
Apparently there is a suggestion that this is how they - the broncos retained his services in his current deal and prevented him from leaving Brisbane and joining the Warriors a couple of years back .

That would indicate that the NRL will have at least two years of Broncos player TPAs to investigate.

BTW Gareth67, do you know whether the NRL has published the definition of a TPA? I am curious now of what constitutes a TPA. Presumably it would not apply to any form of employment outside of a standard NRL contract?

getsmarty

Immortal
Griffin the front-runner for Dragons job
Michael Chammas
August 24, 2020 — 10.00pm
Leave a comment

Anthony Griffin is the early front-runner to replace Paul McGregor as St George Illawarra coach.

The club has placed the former Panthers mentor atop a shortlist presented to the board as the Dragons prepare to begin formal interviews.

2fd61a406340654097da7c9c9228c6495497dc04

Anthony Griffin is the early favourite for the vacant Dragons job.Credit:NRL Photos

Sources close to discussions have told the Herald that one of Griffin's strongest supporters is also one of his rivals for the job. Interim Dragons coach Dean Young has provided the club with a glowing endorsement of Griffin from their time together as assistants with the Tongan national team last year. The Dragons want Young to remain as an assistant if he misses out on the top job.

Also in Griffin's favour is his experience with halves Corey Norman and Ben Hunt, who he coached as juniors at the Broncos before again taking them under his wing as Brisbane's NRL coach from 2011 to 2014.

At a board meeting last Tuesday, Dragons directors prioritised defence, discipline and a history of being involved in successful cultures as the three main criteria they are looking for when they appoint McGregor's successor in the next month.

Other names in the mix include Newcastle Knights assistant David Furner and Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon. However, the Dragons are resigned to the fact that Fitzgibbon is unlikely to leave the Roosters before the end of next season such is his loyalty to chairman Nick Politis and coach Trent Robinson.

c29da0cbe7ceab4bce24b87b2566107eaa6701fa

Gould and Griffin during their time together at the Panthers.Credit:photo Supplied

If Fitzgibbon changes his mind, he will likely leapfrog Griffin to the top of the list. It's unlikely current assistant coach Shane Flanagan will remain at the Dragons if Griffin gets the job.

Griffin, who spent time at the Storm and Broncos before linking with Phil Gould and the Penrith Panthers in 2016, ticks all three boxes but has struggled to get a look-in since his acrimonious exit from the foot of the mountains on the eve of the 2018 finals series.

There's a belief at the Dragons that McGregor may have been too close to the players during his seven-year reign as coach, which could have created an environment of complacency.

Griffin is known as a strict disciplinarian and has had a high level of success in the NRL, with a 55.5 per cent win ratio from 173 games.

The 53-year-old led Brisbane (53.5 per cent win rate) to three finals series in four years before Wayne Bennett's second coming ended his tenure.

He was then head-hunted by Gould to replace Ivan Cleary in 2016, guiding the Panthers (58 per cent) to back-to-back finals appearances before he was shown the door on the eve of a third finals series while his team sat in fourth position.

Griffin debuted 16 players in his two-and-a-half-year stint at the Panthers, including Nathan Cleary, James Fisher-Harris, Dylan Edwards, Corey Harawira-Naera and Viliame Kikau. He also coached Dragons prop Trent Merrin during his time at Penrith.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/griffin-the-front-runner-for-dragons-job-20200824-p55otd.html

Banjo2014

Juniors
Watching NRL Tonight and Readie sort of inferred that Young was the man for next year BUT I hope we grab Griffin - I always tried harder when playing for guys like him (no nonsense)

Barrett gave the Panthers an undertaking that he wouldn't poach - Griffin can go and sign anyone he wants from Penrith so that is another plus - he knows their system and definitely knows the talent coming through

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Wasn't sure where to post this, apologies that it isn't a rumour but is anyone else enjoying the absolute and total destruction of the Brisbane Broncos?
Looks like they can add salary cap cheats to the list of disasters of 2020.
Young Pangai Junior is making some noise about TPAs he's owed on his way out the door.
Hey Alfie! Broncos can't play! And you're cheats!
Funny that when he goes looking for a new club he straight calls up uncle Nick.

brissiedragon

Juniors
That would indicate that the NRL will have at least two years of Broncos player TPAs to investigate.

BTW Gareth67, do you know whether the NRL has published the definition of a TPA? I am curious now of what constitutes a TPA. Presumably it would not apply to any form of employment outside of a standard NRL contract?

Lets not forget that this is the same club who, in 2014, had 298K used by a director that no one could explain how or why it was used. The money was quickly repaid in full and the director resigned. Once resigned, he refused to answer questions asked by the NRL because he was no longer obliged to (given he was no longer employed by the Broncos)

Makes you wonder how some clubs can afford so many great players?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/my...s-and-the-missing-300000-20141117-11o0tx.html

Gareth67

First Grade

Good Lawd mate ! I am a hog farmer , not a bluudy lawyer . :blush:

Seriously I am not sure , however I believe that there are a number of variations of just what constitutes a TPA depending on just how an individual club looks at it . Of course there is a criteria set by the NRL that all clubs must adhere to . In saying that there are some crafty mongrels out there in club land who know just how to get around the set regulations to suit themselves.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’m not sure this is a rumour but one of the outlets has Blacker in our predicted 17 this week. That would be real nice, if he goes well he might cement the rest of the year. Perfect game to debut him if so. Mary would debut him vs Roosters in an Anzac clash, play for 5 minutes when we have already put the cue in rack and blame inexperience for the loss.

Hi Ryan, I emailed you recently to register my support for the club’s decision to part ways with Paul McGregor. In light of that positive move, I’m surprised and disappointed to read in today’s Sydney Morning Herald that Anthony Griffin is considered the frontrunner to replace McGregor.

I hope that this is journalistic speculation intended to rile up the base. Griffin has proven unsuccessful in his stints at Brisbane and Penrith and has clearly demonstrated his ceiling as a mid-tier coach at best. We have just moved on from a coach who, in the most generous estimation, had a similar ceiling. Surely, we are looking to aim a bit higher for our next appointment. I would ask you this question: If the two most successful teams of the past decade, Sydney Roosters and Melbourne, were in the market for a new coach, would either of them consider Anthony Griffin?

I appreciate the task of finding a new coach is not easy. Whoever it is, his task is going to be to win a Premiership within five years and establish a culture that will see the club aim for titles in the years after that. We’ve struggled to identify that kind of target for a decade. To identify that person now will require an extensive search process. I can say with confidence, based on the sample of his previous body of work that it is clearly not Anthony Griffin.

Thanks, Banana Avatar

FlameThrower

Bench
Hi Ryan, I emailed you recently to register my support for the club’s decision to part ways with Paul McGregor. In light of that positive move, I’m surprised and disappointed to read in today’s Sydney Morning Herald that Anthony Griffin is considered the frontrunner to replace McGregor.

I hope that this is journalistic speculation intended to rile up the base. Griffin has proven unsuccessful in his stints at Brisbane and Penrith and has clearly demonstrated his ceiling as a mid-tier coach at best. We have just moved on from a coach who, in the most generous estimation, had a similar ceiling. Surely, we are looking to aim a bit higher for our next appointment. I would ask you this question: If the two most successful teams of the past decade, Sydney Roosters and Melbourne, were in the market for a new coach, would either of them consider Anthony Griffin?

I appreciate the task of finding a new coach is not easy. Whoever it is, his task is going to be to win a Premiership within five years and establish a culture that will see the club aim for titles in the years after that. We’ve struggled to identify that kind of target for a decade. To identify that person now will require an extensive search process. I can say with confidence, based on the sample of his previous body of work that it is clearly not Anthony Griffin.

Thanks, Banana Avatar
Then who are they going to target ? Bellamy? Robinson? We need to be realistic man, I’d rather Griffin than Furner or Young?

Dragon David

First Grade

https://www.nrl.com/operations/
Hi George and Gareth

Hopefully, this explains TPA's.

Gareth67

First Grade
Go to Integrity.

Thanks D.D. I read the information that you have supplied which govern the TPA’s and to be honest there seems to be a lot of wiggling room there for clubs to hide the true amounts involved with those whom supply the TPA .

A bit like an underground pipe that is leaking - you cannot see it because of the dirt placed above it .

Last edited:

Brutalitops

Juniors

Thanks, Banana Avatar
i surely can't be the only one who cringes at this kind of thing. Griffin having the same ceiling as Mary, now there's a laugh. Only have to compare the win percentage despite worse rosters to find the exact point one should stop reading.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
i surely can't be the only one who cringes at this kind of thing. Griffin having the same ceiling as Mary, now there's a laugh. Only have to compare the win percentage despite worse rosters to find the exact point one should stop reading.
I’m not over the moon with Griffin but with Green now likely gone. Wane seemingly not interested and Bennett and Fitzy still contracted he’s the best available. Id still be going hard for Wane and Fitzy though but Griffin I’d much prefer over Flanno.

redv13

Bench
Mary wouldn’t be good enough to carry Griffins bags let alone being put in the same coaching class. The ballsack made the semis twice in 6 years and this year would have made it 7.

RedVDave

First Grade
Griffin is a very good choice if it wasn't for Gerald Beale's knee he probably would of won a grand final in his first year of coaching.

jak

Bench
Good Lawd mate ! I am a hog farmer , not a bluudy lawyer . :blush:

Seriously I am not sure , however I believe that there are a number of variations of just what constitutes a TPA depending on just how an individual club looks at it . Of course there is a criteria set by the NRL that all clubs must adhere to . In saying that there are some crafty mongrels out there in club land who know just how to get around the set regulations to suit themselves.
tell him to ask uncle nick

RedVDave

First Grade

Thanks, Banana Avatar

I just emailed Webb telling him to disregard this email.

Mjab

Juniors
I doubt that they
Not sure about him.
On one hand I think he’s a good coach but have read too many stories about his poor man management skills as well as his history of his sides poor attacking record.
If this is so & young is assistant who’s going to look after the attack.
Mary wouldn’t be good enough to carry Griffins bags let alone being put in the same coaching class. The ballsack made the semis twice in 6 years and this year would have made it 7.
hey but he did win 1 finals game in 7 years !!

and he was only a win and 80 mins away from a GF according to the peanut