What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd18: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY thread (11/9/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingard

Coach
I watched the game again and reckon that these were the reasons we lost.

1. Whilst we defended to the death, our line speed was actually poor. I know we were gassed, but the lack of line speed meant that they could make 50m+ a set. Their line speed was good (der they hardly had to tackle) which meant that Mitch was kicking on 5 inside our half every set.

2. Dummy half service was gash in the first half. On the rare times we had the ball the first receiver had to jump to catch the ball above his head or at his knees. You can’t roll up the field when you are hitting up flat footed.

3. Our two wingers are not making the solid yards on tackle 1 2 3 like they used to. Sivo is injured or has the yips. Next week v Broncos must be Haze’s debut with Sivo rested.

4. Whilst their good line speed pressured our attack, Moses panicked too many times. He needs to trust the system and learn to earn the right to score points. It is clear that he is missing his 6 as Field is a passenger. He tackled well but offered zero support in our attcking structure and tackle 5 kicks. I’d chop him if we had an alternative. Do we ?

I think Mitch Moses is a very good player. Worth keeping. But he's simply not a half-back. And never will be. I think coaching staff and fans are expecting him to 'learn' how to become a Nathan Cleary or Cooper Cronk style of player - someone who can control the tempo of the attack; organise the attack; take control of a game when it is needed. He'll never do that. But being expected to fill that role, and trying to fill that role, just detracts from his natural game. If he played outside Cleary or Cronk, I reckon he'd be a world-beater. I sincerely hope Dylan Brown keeps developing along the lines of Cronk or Cleary, as I see him as the sort of player who could 'çontrol' a game and just let Moses excel at what he does best. Hopefully that happens.

lingard

Coach
Fair enough. I like what Holbrook is doing. There is a definite change at the Titans.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but a halfback/half like Foran would have been handy last night but only after his 25th season ending injury and current mindset.

A half-back like Foran would complement Moses well.

Noise

Coach
I watched the game again and reckon that these were the reasons we lost.

1. Whilst we defended to the death, our line speed was actually poor. I know we were gassed, but the lack of line speed meant that they could make 50m+ a set. Their line speed was good (der they hardly had to tackle) which meant that Mitch was kicking on 5 inside our half every set.

2. Dummy half service was gash in the first half. On the rare times we had the ball the first receiver had to jump to catch the ball above his head or at his knees. You can’t roll up the field when you are hitting up flat footed.

3. Our two wingers are not making the solid yards on tackle 1 2 3 like they used to. Sivo is injured or has the yips. Next week v Broncos must be Haze’s debut with Sivo rested.

4. Whilst their good line speed pressured our attack, Moses panicked too many times. He needs to trust the system and learn to earn the right to score points. It is clear that he is missing his 6 as Field is a passenger. He tackled well but offered zero support in our attcking structure and tackle 5 kicks. I’d chop him if we had an alternative. Do we ?
Agree with all this.

Our defence wasn’t that good. Line speed terrible, heaps of missed tackles and still let in 20 points. Our scramble defence was good though.

Stone is not a f**ken dummy half. BA using him as our backup shows how out of touch with the attacking side of the game he is.

Our wingers are slow off the mark . No acceleration and no power. They get smashed every run, especially Sivo .

Moses refuses to straighten the attack and take a hit. Massive f**ken cat. Jai Field, lol. He offers absolutely nothing . Can’t kick, pass or engage the defence.

Noise

Coach
Dylan Brown is basically a young version of Foran.
Dylan Browns problem is that when he goes to the line he always holds onto the ball. Foran at his best would run at the line and pass late, often getting hammered for his efforts but this allowed space for his outside men. Until Brown starts doing this defences will continue to work him out (as they have already) and shut him down.

emjaycee

Coach
And straight out the back door, hey at least we made it, stereo typical loser Parra mentality
Should I have expected us to win the comp mate and then get on here and whinge ad nauseum when we don't over perform just because I posted that we should?

Just because I don't bitch and moan on here about things I can't change doesn't mean I happily accept them for what they are.

You don't f**ken know me or have any idea of my mentality so feel free to take your smartarse comments and shove them up your arse.

#RUOK?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think Mitch Moses is a very good player. Worth keeping. But he's simply not a half-back. And never will be. I think coaching staff and fans are expecting him to 'learn' how to become a Nathan Cleary or Cooper Cronk style of player - someone who can control the tempo of the attack; organise the attack; take control of a game when it is needed. He'll never do that. But being expected to fill that role, and trying to fill that role, just detracts from his natural game. If he played outside Cleary or Cronk, I reckon he'd be a world-beater. I sincerely hope Dylan Brown keeps developing along the lines of Cronk or Cleary, as I see him as the sort of player who could 'çontrol' a game and just let Moses excel at what he does best. Hopefully that happens.
Bingo!! He’s a running 5/8 imo. He did a fair job steering the team around this year but he’s struggled this year. Just seems he’s being told to curb his natural game. Or maybe he’s just shit I don’t know.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree, but the problem with this is if you agree his only contact with the fans is through the media then go back and insert the word "fans" everywhere you use the word "media" and you can see the problem.
It is a big part of the head coaches job to make the fans want to turn up and watch at the ground or on the TV. It is arguably more important than winning.

Yep, fair enough.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
yeah you'd think Drown in the long term controlling half .... but he is not there yet

moses has got gun shy or something .... he now just runs sideways until he runs out of room
He was doing a good job of straightening the attack last year and even early this year. All he does now he dump off to his inside runner, or go sideways where we run out of space or that towering bomb.

We are so predictable, just like Pou making excuses after another loss.

Eelementary

Post Whore
From panthers supporters a big thank you to Ryan matterson for helping out our boy API when he got the heavy head knock.Showed total class to put a another players safety ahead of the game moment.Well done

Thanks, buddy - congrats on 13 straight! What an unbelievable achievement!

Soto

Bench
Dylan Browns problem is that when he goes to the line he always holds onto the ball. Foran at his best would run at the line and pass late, often getting hammered for his efforts but this allowed space for his outside men. Until Brown starts doing this defences will continue to work him out (as they have already) and shut him down.
Dylan asks questions of the defence and has a good turn of speed. Of all our backs he is the only one likely to bust the line.
He can slip a short ball to his runners. He is only young. Definitely needs to be the 7 in a year or two and Moses the 6.
Jai Field whilst deputising for him needs to be told run. See a gap go for it. Too tentative and looks worried or scared he will make an error. I thought he defended very admirably.
I think he has potential but doesn't have the confidence to deliver.
We just need to win next 2 games and anything can happen after that...

Delboy

First Grade
We have to move away from effort being the end all to everything to improve the team and results. Every team has effort and if you play NRL you probably are reasonably good at it.

the roster on paper looks competitive with most teams particularly the Riff, what we lack is a defined attack structure rather than mind numbing old fashioned sweep plays out the back and block runs we have been using ad nauseum.

Until we reshape our attack to a more 2020 style at least , it will be difficult to see the ultimate success we look for, defence can take you so far, easy to read attack where you see NRown running at full pelt on my the 4th or 5th and then a bomb put up Won’t do it any more.

It’s possibly too late for this season, let’s hope we structure changes for next season in that area, as the roster is basically set with what we have and there is a need to get fresh ideas at the minimum to the attack side of the game.

Joely01

Bench
1st vs 3rd. 3rd losses in a valiant effort with no ball.

3rd has a few injuries in key positions and can’t sway possession. 1st team too good, evidenced by their 13 straight wins.

3rd team LOL’d all week how Gould sacked the new STG coach a few weeks before finals.

In an ironic twist, 3rd teams fair weather “fans” turn on the coach and notwithstanding a 13/5 season and want him sacked.

Cannot deal with you lot sometimes. Peace, out. :pray:

Would you look at that, someone talking sense on here! :clap::clap:

Noise

Coach
Dylan asks questions of the defence and has a good turn of speed. Of all our backs he is the only one likely to bust the line.
He can slip a short ball to his runners. He is only young. Definitely needs to be the 7 in a year or two and Moses the 6.
Jai Field whilst deputising for him needs to be told run. See a gap go for it. Too tentative and looks worried or scared he will make an error. I thought he defended very admirably.
I think he has potential but doesn't have the confidence to deliver.
We just need to win next 2 games and anything can happen after that...
Dylan asks questions of the defence but usually the defence answers them. His 9 line breaks is decent but they are slowing down as teams have worked him out. He hasn't put many players into holes - Only 5 LBA all year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Dylan asks questions of the defence but usually the defence answers them. His 9 line breaks is decent but they are slowing down as teams have worked him out. He hasn't put many players into holes - Only 5 LBA all year.

True.

But it seems that Moses is getting more ball than Brown was; also, our pet play of Brown taking the line on, and dumping it to Lane, was worked out very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.