What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mentally weak

getsmarty

Immortal
Meninga just graded Dragons an ‘F’. This is what Anthony Griffin is walking into
Dragons
simon_brunsdon.jpg

7f0f615cecf0dc463926c38ea139f88c

Corey Norman and Cody Ramsey of the Dragons.Source: Getty Images
Anthony Griffin has his work cut out if he plans on turning St George Illawarra into an NRL premiership force again.

The man known as ‘Hook’ was this week announced as the new Dragons coach, taking over from sacked Paul McGregor as the club desperately tries to recover from a string of underwhelming seasons.

And in the team’s first performance since Griffin’s appointment they put in a dismal effort to be thrashed 37-8 by Canberra in Wollongong.

Round 18
A two-try debut to young winger Cody Ramsey was ruined by an overall bad performance and some of the Red V defence was slammed by Fox League commentators during and after the game.

“It was pretty ordinary through the middle at times,” Michael Ennis said.

The Dragons missed 31 tackles to Canberra’s 17, had 11 errors and only 47 per cent possession.

They’ve won six games this year but it’s been a rather lean run of finals since Wayne Bennett coached the club to the 2010 premiership.

Raiders legend Mal Meninga was asked what he would grade Saturday’s performance from the Red V.

“Not a very high one, probably an F for fail,” Meninga said.

“They were pretty poor through the middle, particularly in that second half. Even in the first half Hudson Young scored a pretty simple try.

“Their right edge defence once again let them down.”

St George Illawarra next takes on Newcastle next week.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...8/news-story/ef71bc0c045ff7b03b4edc1ff385c504

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm calling it that McInnes should be the hooker as he is too light for the lock position. Also, he should not be the captain going forward. I don't see enough of him getting stuck into his players either with us having the ball or defending. Just keep yelling out orders Cam, don't keep it bottled up and have a go at them if they balls things up. Lay down your orders and question decisions of the ref like the one that Ramsey was pulled back for being off side to prevent him scoring a hat trick. That was a small turning point for us unfortunately - if Ramsey was given not offside and he scored we would have been 14-12 at half time which might have been a morale booster for us.

epDragon62

First Grade
Sad to say, McInnes is not the right captain unless he learns to see peak up.

If the rest of the forward pack does is job; he can be Lock.

Gareth67

First Grade
Sad to say, McInnes is not the right captain unless he learns to see peak up.

If the rest of the forward pack does is job; he can be Lock.

Good point , that is another thing that I do hope Anthony Griffin will put on his ‘ to do list ‘ appoint an on field talker - or two to keep the players mind on the job and a captain who is not shy in sticking up for his team .

That individual must question the referee on EVERY decision that goes against the Dragons. Who knows , they the refs may eventually mistake our captain for Mr. Smith from the Storm and give the Red & Whites as many penalties - perhaps wishful thinking on my part ? :thinking:

possm

Coach
I'm calling it that McInnes should be the hooker as he is too light for the lock position. Also, he should not be the captain going forward. I don't see enough of him getting stuck into his players either with us having the ball or defending. Just keep yelling out orders Cam, don't keep it bottled up and have a go at them if they balls things up. Lay down your orders and question decisions of the ref like the one that Ramsey was pulled back for being off side to prevent him scoring a hat trick. That was a small turning point for us unfortunately - if Ramsey was given not offside and he scored we would have been 14-12 at half time which might have been a morale booster for us.
I agree, McInnes is not captain material but I really don't know who could do that job right now; maybe Saints need to buy a captain - Cam Smith.

No directions from our fullback in attack or defence. These days a fullback needs to organise the defensive line. Unfortunately, Dufty can't even organise himself in defence.

Norman and Hunt are a waste of salary cap, I'd be so happy if Griffin let them both go and went with Sullivan at 6 and a good experienced halfback. There were rumours that Griffin would bring Maloney into the side in 2021. Maybe that would do the trick.

I say, do what ever it takes to clean out all the dead wood. Then start with a healthy cutlure built on a brick wall defence and an exciting short passing game among our forwards. If we select our young backs, we will have all the speed necessary to finish off this work in style.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Good point , that is another thing that I do hope Anthony Griffin will put on his ‘ to do list ‘ appoint an on field talker - or two to keep the players mind on the job and a captain who is not shy in sticking up for his team .

That individual must question the referee on EVERY decision that goes against the Dragons. Who knows , they the refs may eventually mistake our captain for Mr. Smith from the Storm and give the Red & Whites as many penalties - perhaps wishful thinking on my part ? :thinking:

I think the dilemma has always been that McInnes, being the only player on the field who is guaranteed of being selected every week and play all 80 minutes, is the captain by default.

Widdop unfortunately fitted the quiet, lead from the front model of leadership as well but it is simply not working. Getting the balance right ie assertive and not passive or aggressive (eg James Graham) is the trick. Cameron Smith could wear a dinner suit out there and not make a run or a tackle and still be probably worth $800K a year just for his communication skills.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Not mentally weak. Just lacking in ability, heart and ambition. These piss poor merkins are only in it for the money and aren’t willing to put in week in and week out. Not to mention a piss poor game plan implemented by a piss poor coach who is part of a club that is happy just to be competing in the league. f**k them all off

Gareth67

First Grade
I think the dilemma has always been that McInnes, being the only player on the field who is guaranteed of being selected every week and play all 80 minutes, is the captain by default.

Widdop unfortunately fitted the quiet, lead from the front model of leadership as well but it is simply not working. Getting the balance right ie assertive and not passive or aggressive (eg James Graham) is the trick. Cameron Smith could wear a dinner suit out there and not make a run or a tackle and still be probably worth $800K a year just for his communication skills.

Yes I agree redandwhite4ever , that is the problem . The Dragons need to appoint the correct individual and sadly I cannot see one player in our current lineup that fits the bill .

Dragon David

First Grade
A quality captain should know the rules of rugby league so that he would be confident in questioning the refs on the decisions the refs make on the field. I cannot see any harm in the captain challenging the refs as it would show leadership. The refs decisions hopefully would then be spot on for the balance of the game. Cam Smith has that ability and his players then can see his leadership skills which makes them feel more at ease in my opinion.

The leader must be strong and give on field instructions to the team either to berate them or praise them whatever the circumstances. He must be the voice to ensure that each player is playing to the best of his ability. So whilst the captain can do plenty of defending and taking the ball up in attack, he must make sure that the others do the right thing as well.

If Cam McInnes wants to retain the captaincy, he must use his voice much more with the players and nag the refs more.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Not mentally weak. Just lacking in ability, heart and ambition. These piss poor merkins are only in it for the money and aren’t willing to put in week in and week out. Not to mention a piss poor game plan implemented by a piss poor coach who is part of a club that is happy just to be competing in the league. f**k them all off
Dont hold back mate, say whats on your mind.......I agree by the way

possm

Coach
The only time our blokes are mentally strong is when their queuing at the ATM on Mondays
Or when their contract is coming to an end.

Under Griffin they will have to aim up or be dropped, no matter what salary they are on. Over the off-season Griffin will make it very clear that it is a new day at the Dragons. Norman and Hunt will either move on or produce the goods. Dufty will either tackle or be dropped. Our entire forward pack will man up or find themselves replaced by players who will man up.

Mjab

Juniors
Looking forward to a new and better hard nut coaches input and hopefully a lot of players thinking same too

At least we will get a clean out , juniors moving through , more out of underperformer players and if all goes to shit hes only on a 2 year contract
Already likely to get players to come to club

possm

Coach
Looking forward to a new and better hard nut coaches input and hopefully a lot of players thinking same too

At least we will get a clean out , juniors moving through , more out of underperformer players and if all goes to shit hes only on a 2 year contract
Already likely to get players to come to club
With Big O on his way, now all we need is a couple more hard nosed forwards and a marquee fullback. Our juniors coming through will take care of the rest.

1. RTS
2. Ramsey
3. Zac Lomax
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa then Schiller
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt for now
8. AFB
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. New edge forward
13. De Belin

14. Big O
15. Kerr
16. Host
17. Ford

Mjab

Juniors
With Big O on his way, now all we need is a couple more hard nosed forwards and a marquee fullback. Our juniors coming through will take care of the rest.

1. RTS
2. Ramsey
3. Zac Lomax
4. Max Feagai
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt for now
8. AFB
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. New edge forward
13. De Belin

14. Big O
15. Kerr
16. Host
17. Ford

Nice to dream Possm
and a great team i would love

BUT
RTS I would love but cant see it coming to fruition
AFB , way too much $ for what he is if its $850
?maybe McGuire for a lot less

redv13

Bench

1. RTS
2. Ramsey
3. Zac Lomax
4. Max Feagai
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt for now
8. AFB
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. New edge forward
13. De Belin

14. Big O
15. Kerr
16. Host
17. Ford

1, 8, 12, 13, 14. All big $$$. Where are we finding this approx 4 million for these 5 players??

Latest posts