What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: American footy thread

T-Boon

Coach
Does it matter? People can like both, and some will prefer one over the other and nothing is really going to change their mind.

I think it matters that people on a RL forum are admitting they prefer American football to the sport they grew up on. The code should think about that.
The game needs to look in the mirror and ask itself "are you being the best you?"
Scrums are dog shit, tackling is dog shit, the ruck is dog shit, a standard set of possession is dog shit, kicking is basically dog shit. The philosophy of the coaches as to how the game should be played is dog shit.
The game is bad now and I cant watch a game now unless Parra or NSW are playing.

Last edited:
I think it matters that people on a RL forum are admitting they prefer American football to the sport they grew up on. The code should think about that.
The game needs to look in the mirror and ask itself "are you being the best you?"
Scrums are dog shit, tackling is dog shit, the ruck is dog shit, a standard set of possession is dog shit, kicking is basically dog shit. The philosophy of the coaches as to have the game should be played is dog shit.
The game is bad now and I cant watch a game now unless Parra or NSW are playing.

I just think idea that one is inherently 'better' is meaningless. Don't disagree that all codes should listen to their audience, but I don't see the NFL as a particularly important benchmark for the NRL. They're pretty much irrelevant as far as TV revenues in Aus go.

T-Boon

Coach
I just think idea that one is inherently 'better' is meaningless. Don't disagree that all codes should listen to their audience, but I don't see the NFL as a particularly important benchmark for the NRL. They're pretty much irrelevant as far as TV revenues in Aus go.

I think too many NRL fans are like me. Only able to watch games involving the team they support. I think that means they are not enjoying the game itself much anymore.

I also am pretty certain that if there was better attacking football more NRL fans would watch neutral games.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think too many NRL fans are like me. Only able to watch games involving the team they support. I think that means they are not enjoying the game itself much anymore.

I also am pretty certain that if there was better attacking football more NRL fans would watch neutral games.

To be honest, I don't watch other teams' games, because I am not emotionally invested in other teams, like I am with the Eels.

Every so often, I will watch two teams who aren't Parramatta play - but I usually could not care less.

T-Boon

Coach
To be honest, I don't watch other teams' games, because I am not emotionally invested in other teams, like I am with the Eels.

Every so often, I will watch two teams who aren't Parramatta play - but I usually could not care less.

Do you watch NFL games that don't involve your team?
Do you find NRL games boring when Parra aren't playing?
If so what do you put that down to?

hindy111

Post Whore
I watch Parra and Oenrith and big games. Or teams going well...

In nfl id have no interest watching jets vs Miami.....

Eelementary

Post Whore
Do you watch NFL games that don't involve your team?
Do you find NRL games boring when Parra aren't playing?
If so what do you put that down to?

To be honest, I don't watch any sports that don't involve my team:

* if Vegas aren't playing, I don't care about NFL (including the Super Bowl, tbh)

* if the Eels aren't playing, I don't care about NRL (including the Grand Final)

* if the Lakers aren't playing, I don't care about NBA

Etc.

I realise I am likely in the minority, but I'm just not emotionally invested if my team isn't playing.

T-Boon

Coach
To be honest, I don't watch any sports that don't involve my team:

* if Vegas aren't playing, I don't care about NFL (including the Super Bowl, tbh)

* if the Eels aren't playing, I don't care about NRL (including the Grand Final)

* if the Lakers aren't playing, I don't care about NBA

Etc.

I realise I am likely in the minority, but I'm just not emotionally invested if my team isn't playing.

Well that is interesting.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well that is interesting.

Believe me - I've tried to watch sports when my team isn't involved, and I just lose interest.

With the Raiders, I've followed the college careers of most of our draftees, so I have a "connection" with them.

With the Eels, I've followed them for 20 years, and watched their development players play lower grade football, so I feel invested.

Watching neutral teams, I just don't feel the same.

T-Boon

Coach
Believe me - I've tried to watch sports when my team isn't involved, and I just lose interest.

With the Raiders, I've followed the college careers of most of our draftees, so I have a "connection" with them.

With the Eels, I've followed them for 20 years, and watched their development players play lower grade football, so I feel invested.

Watching neutral teams, I just don't feel the same.

I watch condensed games on youtube or 10 minute highlights.
I also follow players careers. So I like looking up the box scores.
But most NFL teams have a player I follow from college so I can easily watch the entire game on Monday morning while neglecting work commitments.

T.S Quint

Coach
how's that guy from the 49ers with his hurdle TD

it wasn't a fluke, he's been doing it since college

It looks awesome but he still could have scored a different way. One day he’s going to try it again and land on his head. It’s really f**king dangerous.