What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qualifying final 2020: Parra v Storm GAME DAY thread (3/10/20)

Eelementary

Post Whore
We did quite well, all things considred:

* Sivo goes off injured early (despite his for, or lack thereof, he is still part of our structures)

* left centre moves to right centre, right centre moves to left wing, second-rower moves into left centre

* second-rower playing left centre gets concussed, forcing another shuffle

It's disappointing we lost, but Melbourne had all the ball, and to their credit, they clinically attacked our edges all night, and we only lost by 12.

Who was the last team to put 24 points on Melbourne?

The Dragons, last week, you dopey merkin...

Gronk

Staff member
Storm have a relentless line speed and alway gang tackle and slow down the ruck with pressure holds and wrestle.

We showed the rest of the teams how to beat Storm and with more luck (= possession) things would have been different.

I admit that I’m a glass half full guy, but reading through the threads, don’t get the continuous pile on by some. We finished 3rd in the regular season and got beat 6 tries to 4 by the best team in the comp. Meanwhile the usual suspects are yelling in true not happy Jan style that they want changes ranging from the coach to the pack and backline.

As old mate @Avenger says, we’re still in this comp ball deep and next mission is a home game vs Souths or Knights. We are a tough talented side and have proved that you will have to fight hard to beat us. We are a huge chance to win next week and will prolly play Penrith in the GF qualifier.

JFC just enjoy the ride.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I tell you what was promising. We had stuff al ball. Barely on their line and had 4 tries and 2 disallowed......

But they where far superior imo. I didn't mind the effort. Once our two props went off we where cooked.

I thought Arthur waited way too long to bring Junior back on.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Haha beat me to it.

It only happened one other time this year and that was Roosters (25) in round 8.

It's a pretty good sign - our attack has struggled, but we scored 24 points on the Storm.

I know we lost, but that's an impressive effort.

Good question asked of Bellamy - when stuck in a bubble with nothing to do...how hard will it be to sit around for two weeks until the Preliminary Final?

Good question to ask of Penrith, too... Young squad who I think will do real tough in the next fortnight...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Once our two props went off we where cooked.

That’s why Sivo’s injury hurt so much. We had to use Davey at centre, where as he wouId have played edge giving Lane time in the middle which would have made a difference.

Additionally Davey’s HIA meant Marata had to play centre and not give us that energy in the middle he normally brings around the 25 min mark (around the time storm came back).

hindy111

Post Whore
Storm have a relentless line speed and alway gang tackle and slow down the ruck with pressure holds and wrestle.

We showed the rest of the teams how to beat Storm and with more luck (= possession) things would have been different.

I admit that I’m a glass half full guy, but reading through the threads, don’t get the continuous pile on by some. We finished 3rd in the regular season and got beat 6 tries to 4 by the best team in the comp. Meanwhile the usual suspects are yelling in true not happy Jan style that they want changes ranging from the coach to the pack and backline.

As old mate @Avenger says, we’re still in this comp ball deep and next mission is a home game vs Souths or Knights. We are a tough talented side and have proved that you will have to fight hard to beat us. We are a huge chance to win next week and will prolly play Penrith in the GF qualifier.

JFC just enjoy the ride.

We went fine. Better side won. If met them again I dont think we can turn table but never know.

hindy111

Post Whore
Good question asked of Bellamy - when stuck in a bubble with nothing to do...how hard will it be to sit around for two weeks until the Preliminary Final?

Good question to ask of Penrith, too... Young squad who I think will do real tough in the next fortnight...

Do you feel if we won we would be worried about a bubble...... They will do the same as us except not play on game day btw

hindy111

Post Whore
They made twice as many tackle breaks and line breaks. We didn't force one line drop out. And missed twice as many tackles.

They also made 14 errors which is unheard of for Storm.

Yeah we went ok and it was a spirited effort. Proud of the boys. But I didn't feel we where at the same level as them.

Soto

Bench
That’s why Sivo’s injury hurt so much. We had to use Davey at centre, where as he wouId have played edge giving Lane time in the middle which would have made a difference.

Additionally Davey’s HIA meant Marata had to play centre and not give us that energy in the middle he normally brings around the 25 min mark (around the time storm came back).
I thought Will Smith to wing would have been least distraction to the team structure. We will never know now but that change would have meant Davey, Nuikore, come on and play their roles as planned..
To beat the storm we need everything to go our way, minimal errors and very high completion rate.
Not sure why we didn't ever put the ball into touch. The less Papenhuysen has the ball the better..anyway lets hope today's game is a belter, maybe go into extra time.
Its going to be a hot day too. If we are realistic we would prefer the knights to win..

Glenneel

Bench
Melbourne masterfully isolated Moses one on one with K Bromwich over and over again. The way Melbourne saw a weakness in our side and attacked it mercilessly was something else. The shapes, the interchanging between short and long passing, the different ball players, the docoy running,the offloads, isolating the halfback one on one, the speed etc

The reason Melbourne consistently have the wood on us is because they play with intelligence. They study their opposition they bring a game plan and they execute. On top of that they take away what we do best which is bring high energy and effort. They play at a speed/physicality that exceeds what we produce and they have a game plan on top of that.

BA is always talking about effort areas, completion rates, possession etc all the good things. But largely having watched this team for a few years now they really dont play with anything resembling intelligence. They have their moments but largely it the same ineffective stuff over and over again. The long shifts, the tap back bombs, Moses bombs.....

im not saying get rid of BA. He's done some really good things with this team but they need to hand over the keys in terms of set plays and structures to someone else.
Hit the nail on the head here. Besides our RH side defence our team is slow in comparison to many other teams. If I had my way Blake would be shipped off. Too many times he comes out of the line and takes nobody and then stands there looking confused without getting back to help. We need more speed in the backs to compete against the really good teams and our halves to be a tad more creative.
We need a good attacking coach and defensive coach as Kidwell is not working out. But don't expect BA to change anything, he picks and sticks regardless of performance which is his huge flaw. The good coaches always experiment and change to get the best out of a team and that's why they're the best.

hindy111

Post Whore
Dream result for us is a hard tough game and bash each other followed by some big name injuries.

Soto

Bench
on Mahoney gee he impressed me. He stepped up.

Dylan Brown for all the wraps , I mean of course yes he is very young. I think he will become an awesome player but base on current form he is only playing average
Agree but 1st game in a month and probably not 100%. Will be better next week

Glenneel

Bench
It's a pretty good sign - our attack has struggled, but we scored 24 points on the Storm.

I know we lost, but that's an impressive effort.
Actually thought our attack was pretty good. The reshuffle caused by injuries cruelled our chances of winning and I can't understand why Will Smith didn't get put on wing rather than Davey to centre. Or why not Matterson to centre, Davey to replace him and Blake to wing?

Pazza

First Grade
They made twice as many tackle breaks and line breaks. We didn't force one line drop out. And missed twice as many tackles.

They also made 14 errors which is unheard of for Storm.

Yeah we went ok and it was a spirited effort. Proud of the boys. But I didn't feel we where at the same level as them.

Had the storm executed their plays better this could have been a 60 point scoreline.