What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qualifying final 2020: Parra v Storm GAME DAY thread (3/10/20)

Angry_eel

First Grade
Is there an organisation more professionally run than the Storm? Is there a better coach ? I hate the mother f**kers but their model delivers continuous success. Yes they cheated a while back but so did we.
They are the only team which not only control factors they can(squad, defence, attack, wrestle) but also factors you can't control(refs, media).

I mean we only need Cameron to signal the rain gods to piss on one side of the field and they'll be the most complete team in the history of mankind.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If we were to sign JAC it'd have to be as a winger, he's dangerous as f**k there, and it's not like wingers are blokes that hang around with footy players anymore, they are an integral part of both attack and defence.

So I don't get the idea that you don't pay them decent coin, if they are good enough and they add enough value to your squad, you pay them accordingly. Particularly if they are proven.

If we were to move Gutho from fullback ( I wouldn't it just seems dumb ) then I'd have him at centre, where he can control that edge's defence, and come inside looking for work. He'd go ok at five eighth, but I don't see our halves as an area of need, we can win a premiership with the halves we have. Centre and wing is where we are struggling.

hindy111

Post Whore
I would sign Josh. I dislike signing super stars.

I'd prefer Remis Smith or Staines at this stage.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Addo-Carr runs hard every run, which we can't say of our current wingers, and would add speed to our backline.

French is not a better fullback than Gutho. He may be faster and more naturally gifted but Gutho has an incredible attitude and a want to win at all costs mentality. Gutho is also a very good communicator to the defensive line, Bevan was quieter than a mouse.

I don't believe either would improve us at fullback, which after looking at the discussion properly is what it's about. But JAC is far superior to our current wingers, he's the best in the game.

Fair enough.

We wouldn't sign Addo-Carr, anyway.

But I do agree - fullback isn't our problem.

We need speed on the flanks.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think the difference between us and the 'next level up' teams is that when we make a mistake, they make us pay. When they make a mistake we let them off the hook.
Totally. We are good when our defence can cause the opposition to make mistakes. If we keep holding possession, we will win. But we make too many mistakes and like you said, ones the top teams get a rhythm going, they just crap all over us.

Against the storms, the injuries stuffed up our replacements. And we got tired.

After this game, i think Stone suits us better than will.

Will should be the replacement if a half or reed is injured prior to the match. Otherwise, we need stones defense

Oh, i hate waqa. Everytime he makes a defensive mistake, he half heartedly gets up and chases. And what we see because of that is gutho busting a gut trying to save everything

lingard

Coach
Gutherson is one of the smartest players in the comp. In a footy context anyway. He's obviously no rocket surgeon.

Would he make a good five-eight? In terms of game management, taking the right option, kicking game, organising play around him? I dunno. Maybe. Personally, I think Dylan Brown is already better than Gutho in most of those areas - and he's only going to improve.

lingard

Coach
Oh, i hate waqa. Everytime he makes a defensive mistake, he half heartedly gets up and chases. And what we see because of that is gutho busting a gut trying to save everything

Waqa Blake looks totally lost in first grade. Doesn't seem to know where he should be or when, or what to do when he gets there. A totally instinctual player who can sometimes do good things with ball in hand due to his speed and stepping ability. Couldn't defend a child's toy soldier headquarters.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Waqa Blake looks totally lost in first grade. Doesn't seem to know where he should be or when, or what to do when he gets there. A totally instinctual player who can sometimes do good things with ball in hand due to his speed and stepping ability. Couldn't defend a child's toy soldier headquarters.
Yep Ivor. Even when moved to the wing he was making horrible mistakes however if he has a future it can only be on the wing.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, realistically, we'd love speed at fullback. Speed anywhere is good.

I'm just concerned, because all the legitimate options, with speed to burn, have said they want to play fullback (Staines, Addo-Carr, etc.).

Gutherson is a fine fullback, but we're desperate for some genuine speed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Would he make a good five-eight? In terms of game management, taking the right option, kicking game, organising play around him? I dunno. Maybe. Personally, I think Dylan Brown is already better than Gutho in most of those areas - and he's only going to improve.
There's room for two merkins in the halves. I actually hope we get rid of Moses when his contract is up, move Gutherson to the halves and sign a fullback. Our kicking game would be worse but everything else would improve.