What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

He has not been an attacking coach for the past 6 years. He has only coached attack on a moderate basis.

At the Warriors (under Andrew McFadden) he was one of several assistant coaches. Tony Iro was mainly responsible for attack. Justin Morgan was responsible for Defence in the years Webster was at the Warriors.
Webster mainly learnt and played a supporting role.

Webster came back to the Tigers in 2017 as an additional defensive coach under Jason Taylor. The experienced Craig Sandercock was responsible for attack and did so later under Ivan.
Webster contributed to both attack and defence during the Ivan years.
He had some imput in attack last year, I use the term 'imput' that is what one has under a control freak like madge, a job can be hard to do under him.

Shane Millard was responsible for the Tigers attack this season.

Don't bother looking at his interim coaching record at the Tigers after Taylor got the sack. He was thrown to the Wolves and had limited support.

He has had good success as a lower grade coach.

He is very popular among the players (especially young ones) and he has a good analytical brain.

Lower grades was a few years ago now, he really hasn’t had much success in FG whatever way you cut it. Or to be fairer he’s never coached on a successful team. What concerns me is did we cast a wide net, or did we just go with someone Ivan wants? Kinda feels like Gus with Hook.

I never bothered looking at his interim coaching record, it was only two games.

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench
No, Barett has more experience and runs on the board.
Webster could be a very good assistant coach at the right club, with the right support.
He will know his role here and will be given every chance to succeed.
Touch wood, some re-signings will be announced soon.

Original Name

Juniors
Apparently Andrew Webster is coming across from the tigers to replace Barrett, serious downgrade if so. I really hope this isn’t the start of Ivan taking full control of appointments, he really doesn’t have the best record in recruitment.
He was in charge of recruitment at the Warriors when they made the gf wasn't he?

Whino

Bench

Jane Murray

Bench
Disgruntled centre considering move away from Penrith
After a preliminary final snub, the Panther could assess his options for the future.

BY
JAKE BENOITON
-
STAFF WRITER
OCTOBER 19, 2020

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 15: Brent Naden of the Panthers celebrates scoring a try during the round 14 NRL match between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Penrith Panthers at ANZ Stadium on June 15, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
Panthers centre Brent Naden has seen his future thrown upside down over the past 48 hours.

After being dropped to the bench for the club’s Grand Final qualifier, Naden is now seemingly on the outer as the club has reportedly made no effort to secure him on a new deal.

Watch the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals on a Kayo 14 day free trial with every game before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. Or, Telstra customers get $10 off Kayo per month for 12 months. Stream instantly!

Naden is off contract at the end of 2021 and therefore can negotiate with rivals from November 1, with no indication from Penrith that they see him in their plans for 2022 and beyond.

“It’s interesting, I spoke to his manager, Allan Gainey, last week. Naden is off contract at the end of next season, which puts him in the position in a few weeks time on November 1 to talk to other clubs,” Phil Rothfield told Big Sports Breakfast.

“Allan Gainey has said Penrith have made no approaches yet which is a little bit surprising because most clubs have an initial chat to try and take them off the market before other clubs can make offers.”

The Bulldogs loom as a possible new home with Panthers assistant Trent Barrett set to take over the top job at the Dogs next season and add plenty of firepower to Belmore.

It is understood that Barrett is also keen on Matt Burton.

“I’m wondering if he may be a little bit on the outer there as far as what his long-term future is and Penrith have got that brilliant young football side they have to lock up on long-term contracts.

“They’ve got Matt Burton in a similar situation, the outstanding five-eighth from the bush who can’t get a game of football.

“I’m just wondering if the Panthers don’t move and lock these two up, Trent Barrett as we know is off to the Bulldogs next year and we all know the Bulldogs need more strike power, more strength, more pace, sharpness in the centres so I wouldn’t be surprised if when Barrett finishes up this weekend whether he’d be thinking about a player like Brent Naden if he’s not wanted at the Panthers.”

soc123_au

Staff member
What a pathetic click bait headline. The articles with actual quotes from Naden show he is anything but disgruntled. I'm sure he is disappointed, it would have been tough to handle, but he has taken it like a champ.

Thing is, someone is going to have to leave. If Cleary has lost confidence in Naden it makes sense he might be the guy. Not saying the article is credible at all, but with the salary cap squeeze it doesn’t surprise me to see speculation.

BxTom

Bench
Thing is, someone is going to have to leave. If Cleary has lost confidence in Naden it makes sense he might be the guy. Not saying the article is credible at all, but with the salary cap squeeze it doesn’t surprise me to see speculation.
Rothfield quoted as the source. The week before the GF. Nothing's impossible. But this report has no more credibility than a stopped clock. @Blade23

Latest posts