1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by OldPanther, Mar 13, 2018.

1. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

Lower grades was a few years ago now, he really hasn’t had much success in FG whatever way you cut it. Or to be fairer he’s never coached on a successful team. What concerns me is did we cast a wide net, or did we just go with someone Ivan wants? Kinda feels like Gus with Hook.

I never bothered looking at his interim coaching record, it was only two games.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  2. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

Touch wood, some re-signings will be announced soon.

3. Original Name

Original Name Juniors

He was in charge of recruitment at the Warriors when they made the gf wasn't he?

4. Whino

Whino Juniors

He wasn't at the club in 2011.

5. Crashtest

Crashtest Juniors

Most head coaches pick who they want as their assistant coaches, so there is nothing new there. Nor anything to suggest we are going back to the Gould recruitment style.

6. Original Name

Original Name Juniors

"The New Zealand Warriors 2011 season was the New Zealand Warriors 17th first-grade season. The club competed in Australasia's National Rugby League. The coach of the team is Ivan Cleary while Simon Mannering is the club's captain. The Warriors lost to the Manly Sea Eagles 10-24 in the 2011 NRL Grand Final."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_New_Zealand_Warriors_season

7. Whino

Whino Juniors

I thought you were referring to Webster stint at the Warriors not Ivan's.

8. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

Disgruntled centre considering move away from Penrith
    After a preliminary final snub, the Panther could assess his options for the future.
    [​IMG]
    BY
    JAKE BENOITON
    -
    STAFF WRITER
    OCTOBER 19, 2020

https://static.nospam21.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/13103227/GettyImages-1156060867-696x464.jpg
    SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 15: Brent Naden of the Panthers celebrates scoring a try during the round 14 NRL match between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Penrith Panthers at ANZ Stadium on June 15, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
    Panthers centre Brent Naden has seen his future thrown upside down over the past 48 hours.

After being dropped to the bench for the club’s Grand Final qualifier, Naden is now seemingly on the outer as the club has reportedly made no effort to secure him on a new deal.

Watch the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals on a Kayo 14 day free trial with every game before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. Or, Telstra customers get $10 off Kayo per month for 12 months. Stream instantly!

Naden is off contract at the end of 2021 and therefore can negotiate with rivals from November 1, with no indication from Penrith that they see him in their plans for 2022 and beyond.

“It’s interesting, I spoke to his manager, Allan Gainey, last week. Naden is off contract at the end of next season, which puts him in the position in a few weeks time on November 1 to talk to other clubs,” Phil Rothfield told Big Sports Breakfast.

“Allan Gainey has said Penrith have made no approaches yet which is a little bit surprising because most clubs have an initial chat to try and take them off the market before other clubs can make offers.”

The Bulldogs loom as a possible new home with Panthers assistant Trent Barrett set to take over the top job at the Dogs next season and add plenty of firepower to Belmore.

It is understood that Barrett is also keen on Matt Burton.

“I’m wondering if he may be a little bit on the outer there as far as what his long-term future is and Penrith have got that brilliant young football side they have to lock up on long-term contracts.

“They’ve got Matt Burton in a similar situation, the outstanding five-eighth from the bush who can’t get a game of football.

“I’m just wondering if the Panthers don’t move and lock these two up, Trent Barrett as we know is off to the Bulldogs next year and we all know the Bulldogs need more strike power, more strength, more pace, sharpness in the centres so I wouldn’t be surprised if when Barrett finishes up this weekend whether he’d be thinking about a player like Brent Naden if he’s not wanted at the Panthers.”

9. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

What a pathetic click bait headline. The articles with actual quotes from Naden show he is anything but disgruntled. I'm sure he is disappointed, it would have been tough to handle, but he has taken it like a champ.

Jane Murray likes this.
  10. age.s

age.s First Grade

Article about Penrith with no one quoted but Rothfield. Seems legit.

The yak and Jane Murray like this.
  11. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

Your sarcasm is impressive. I like it.

12. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

Thing is, someone is going to have to leave. If Cleary has lost confidence in Naden it makes sense he might be the guy. Not saying the article is credible at all, but with the salary cap squeeze it doesn’t surprise me to see speculation.

Jane Murray likes this.
  13. BxTom

BxTom Juniors

Rothfield quoted as the source. The week before the GF. Nothing's impossible. But this report has no more credibility than a stopped clock. @Blade23

Jane Murray likes this.
  14. martielang

martielang Bench

I thought it was common knowledge Nadens off to Melbourne or did I just make that up??

15. Panther Pete

Panther Pete Juniors

Although Crichton was nominated for Rookie of the Year, Harry Grant got the award.

16. Tronald Crump

Tronald Crump Juniors

You made it up. He is off to join the Bulldogs to play with the Great Katoa :p

17. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Referee

Wighton gets the Dally M player of the year award.

Cleary gets the JWH treatment.

18. murraymob

murraymob First Grade

Cleary going okay.Johnson gets injured so gets no points last few rounds.Gutherson may be interesting

19. murraymob

murraymob First Grade

Round 17 raiders lose so wrighton should not get any points.We need Cleary to get a few 3 point games

20. murraymob

murraymob First Grade

Team of year
    Prop fisher Harris’s
    2nd row kikau