What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Ha ha biggest pile of shit I have read from the Telegraph.
Unless him going into Origin camp slows the announcement Crichton's extention will be confirmed next week. Done deal 3 years.
Yeo ain't going anywhere either.
I still fancy our chances with Burton too.

Christ, I hope you’re right!

Craig Wing and John Plath were probably the 2 best 14s to ever play the game. Neither of them played backrow. With our playstyle, we need our 14 to add some spark. May is bang average imo.

If spark is what we’re after then Daine Laurie would be the guy. I’m a huge Burton fan but he’s not in the mould of Craig Wing.

May has a good passing game which is able to take advantage of tired forwards in the middle of the field, Burton could do the same but he needs to be a bit bigger.

WestyLife

First Grade
Burton might become a better option at 14, but right now it’s May because he can play backrow positions.

Craig Wing and John Plath were probably the 2 best 14s to ever play the game. Neither of them played backrow. With our playstyle, we need our 14 to add some spark. May is bang average imo.

To be fair we also run Capewell off the bench who covers the second rowers and played a little in the middle during the GF.

mxlegend99

Referee
Wonder how different things might have been if we got one of the centres we were after instead of say Capewell or Tetevano. Neither let us down really. And were probably handy more often than not. But clearly right centre was our biggest weakness.

Actually Im filthy we didnt test Burton out aside from a 20 min cameo in a cruisy win. Amazing how he never let us down and still wasnt trusted.

Well except the field goal kicking against Kmights. That was shocking. But he bounced back with a great game against Warriors and then warmed the bench a few times

GongPanther

Referee
Ha ha biggest pile of shit I have read from the Telegraph.
Unless him going into Origin camp slows the announcement Crichton's extention will be confirmed next week. Done deal 3 years.
Yeo ain't going anywhere either.
I still fancy our chances with Burton too.
What happened to the cliche' "Canterbury war-chest"!

To be fair we also run Capewell off the bench who covers the second rowers and played a little in the middle during the GF.

Yeah but Capewell doesn’t have the passing game. May can play back row, hooker, 5/8 or centre. That’s what you need from a utility.

I don’t see Burton ever covering hooker, but he’s too good to be a bench player anyway.

Wonder how different things might have been if we got one of the centres we were after instead of say Capewell or Tetevano. Neither let us down really. And were probably handy more often than not. But clearly right centre was our biggest weakness.

Actually Im filthy we didnt test Burton out aside from a 20 min cameo in a cruisy win. Amazing how he never let us down and still wasnt trusted.

Well except the field goal kicking against Kmights. That was shocking. But he bounced back with a great game against Warriors and then warmed the bench a few times

There were several opportunities to give Burton a run in the centres, for some reason Ivan didn’t want to. But the strangest part of it all he then decides to change things up for the final two games of the year.

Ivan has tunnel vision when it comes to Tyrone May I suspect. He loves that type of player, and that fact he’s best mates with his son probably plays a part too. Even if unconsciously.

May playing the roving lock role off the bench gives us another dimension in attack imo. We missed that massively during the GF.

Yeah it wasn’t just the fact he missed Naden at centre, we missed having a fresh utility in the middle of the field. Doesn’t matter what he says publicly, I’m sure Ivan knows he stuffed up.

I’m not suggesting that’s the only reason we lost, though. The bad games from Cleary & Kikau played a huge part, the general errors as well

WestyLife

First Grade
Yeah but Capewell doesn’t have the passing game. May can play back row, hooker, 5/8 or centre. That’s what you need from a utility.

I don’t see Burton ever covering hooker, but he’s too good to be a bench player anyway.

Well I think Burton should go to Centre but that'd depend on Naden.

I didn't mean Capewell as utility instead of May. I meant the utility doesn't necessarily need to be able to play back row due to Capewell being on the bench.

WestyLife

First Grade
Yeah it wasn’t just the fact he missed Naden at centre, we missed having a fresh utility in the middle of the field. Doesn’t matter what he says publicly, I’m sure Ivan knows he stuffed up.

I’m not suggesting that’s the only reason we lost, though. The bad games from Cleary & Kikau played a huge part, the general errors as well

Controversial opinion but I don't think Cleary had a bad game overall.

Smug Panther

First Grade
We lost because Ivan didn't have them mentally ready and played May at centre for some reason. We choke again and he should go

Well I think Burton should go to Centre but that'd depend on Naden.

I didn't mean Capewell as utility instead of May. I meant the utility doesn't necessarily need to be able to play back row due to Capewell being on the bench.

Yeah I knew what you meant, my point is the utility is more dangerous in the middle of the field. So either they need to be able to play hooker or back row.

WestyLife

First Grade
I know you are a fan but on what basis?

The intercept was the main mistake and that was more bad luck than bad decision making. The centre rushed up while the winger was 20m back, only Vunivalu attempts that jumping catch on Crichton's shoulders because he's nuts. Otherwise the errors from other players and the Naden/May selection were the problems.

I know it easy to blame Ivan but look at Nathan's origin record. Even finals record he doesn't turn up in big games.

It’s too simplistic to boil down the loss to one thing. I know I mentioned this before, but several mistakes were made. The coach is responsible for his mistakes and the players for theirs. But it’s also fair to question how much changing the game plan affected the players.

Ivan is very ordinary in how he operates his bench as well. It wasn’t just his selection mistakes, but why play Kikau for 80 mins?! Why wait until the 60 min mark to bring Naden on? We were chasing points, and our second best try scorer was sitting on the bench.

franklin2323

Immortal
It’s too simplistic to boil down the loss to one thing. I know I mentioned this before, but several mistakes were made. The coach is responsible for his mistakes and the players for theirs. But it’s also fair to question how much changing the game plan affected the players.

Ivan is very ordinary in how he operates his bench as well. It wasn’t just his selection mistakes, but why play Kikau for 80 mins?! Why wait until the 60 min mark to bring Naden on? We were chasing points, and our second best try scorer was sitting on the bench.

That is how benches are used these days. Look at the Storm. Tino who is a gun only got 20 mins. Hynes got nothing

I doubt we trained to have 18 errors so I can't put it all on coaching but as a whole need to own a poor final series

Status
Not open for further replies.