What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

Timbo

Staff member
This is clearly a dress rehearsal for the league and cutting out Fox.

Perth Red

Post Whore

yeee gods I hope not! Id rather pay for Kayo and get decent coverage than get Ch9 shtshow for free!

Besides can you really see ch9 affording $300mill+ a year?

greenBV4

Bench
Besides can you really see ch9 affording $300mill+ a year?
if they go all in on Stan maybe. Stan vs Kayo will bring sports streaming into the mainstream in Aus, we may well start to see better tracking of ratings, or "views", as a result as well

Starkers

Bench
I hope this ends up with the NRL and 9 parting ways. The partnership is so stale for both parties they need to separate.
my thoughts exactly. plus ch9 signing a direct competitor to FTA is just another sick joke in the cacophony of sick jokes ch9 commits on the NRL.

step up ch10. FTA partnership with Kayo streaming will change the landscape again.

greenBV4

Bench
my thoughts exactly. plus ch9 signing a direct competitor to FTA is just another sick joke in the cacophony of sick jokes ch9 commits on the NRL.

step up ch10. FTA partnership with Kayo streaming will change the landscape again.
Yeah I wonder what will happen when there is a clash with the 2 codes? Say a wallabies test on a Friday night? Will nein relegate the NRL to GEM even in the heartland states?? Surely the NRL has written into their contract it needs to be on the main channel

Here's to hoping 10 is interested, otherwise this could be very bad for league, if nine chooses not to resign it could be left without a FTA partner, or signing last minute for cheap

siv

First Grade
Concerned that Second Tier RL could be shunted to Stan Sports

We are heading to a situation you need to buy multi services just to watch a weekend football

nrlnrl

First Grade
I don’t think so, it seems they’re just trying to enter the sports streaming market - but with low cost/selective options like union & tennis. If anything, it will strengthen Foxtel’s commitment to Fox League by cutting a weak link in the chain.

Interesting to listen to the different reactions as FTA & pay services juggle their options. Eg Ch9 losing cricket & also talking down rugby league, Ch7 trying to recoup money for cricket in a similar way, Foxtel with union & soccer. 2020 has tightened budgets everywhere, inevitable, but sped up the process.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Yeah I wonder what will happen when there is a clash with the 2 codes? Say a wallabies test on a Friday night? Will nein relegate the NRL to GEM even in the heartland states?? Surely the NRL has written into their contract it needs to be on the main channel

Here's to hoping 10 is interested, otherwise this could be very bad for league, if nine chooses not to resign it could be left without a FTA partner, or signing last minute for cheap

Wallabies southern hemisphere Tests are only ever played on Saturdays (Northern Hemisphere the timezones make any clash impossible). That's the entire point of the deal, Nine doesn't have a FTA Saturday night game available, by having 3 nights of League and 1 of Rugby, Nine is able to shape themselves as the home of both codes, in direct opposition to 7 having 4 AFL games.

It's a good move for both sports, as the $100 million deal from Nine/Stan is about 3 times what Fox were offering and RA haven't sold on the international broadcast rights. More pathways for young athletes and opportunities taken away from the AFL. Plus the proposed State of Origin and State of Union series running on Wednesday and Thursday nights basically boosts Nine's profile and draws cross promotional support.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol at Warren telling us nothing has changed except the venue as the nsw team comes down the tunnel with a number of changes and a new capt! At least we didn’t have put up with Gould this week, thank goodness for small mercies!

Latest posts