What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News 2021 NRL rule changes

Vee

First Grade
There is no wrestling in... women's making those completely different games.
That's one of the best things I love about the WNRL. I thought it would change with time, money and profile but the rule changes may prevent that.

AJB1102

First Grade
They really should think about this as a rule. It has never been more warranted with the way the game has become. If you score a try from within your own half these days it is deserved of extra points.

A bloke taking a play 1 or 2 hit-up finding a sloppy defender in an unorganised line and slipping through to go 60 metres untouched.

Why is that deserving of extra points over a slick set play from 20 out, a perfectly weighted kick or the insane shit we see from wingers?

T-Boon

Coach
A bloke taking a play 1 or 2 hit-up finding a sloppy defender in an unorganised line and slipping through to go 60 metres untouched.

Why is that deserving of extra points over a slick set play from 20 out, a perfectly weighted kick or the insane shit we see from wingers?

Tries scored from within own half are a lot more rare than those from within the red zone.
Even the one you describe above (involving an actual line break) is a lot more exciting than anything you described in the second paragraph. Breaking a tackle and it turning into a line break would get fans pumped.
It is a lot harder to score from a long way out.
Most times it is going to involve very exciting football, keeping the ball alive rather than taking the tackle.
The possibility of an extra point might encourage teams to run on the last more.
It is a lot riskier to try to attack from inside your own half than from the red zone and risky play that turns out good should be rewarded more than none risky play that turns out good.

Saxon

Bench
The more I look at the changes, the less I like them. The only (possibly) positive change here is the one about trainers delaying the game, and I will need to see that in action to be convinced.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Looking forward to more field goal attempts and more video reviews, said no RL fan ever!

only change I like is getting rid of scrums, getting rid altogether to move us away from union can only be a good thing.
Biggest issue I have is significantly changing rules of a game that’s supposed to be an international sport. Any major change be should have to be ratified internationally and adopted at all levels everywhere. We are on the path of nrl ending up a different game to rugby league.

We are on a path where the NRL run the international game.

They are in talks to buy a stake into super league in the UK. How long before before they mimick the NRL even more in everything.

This sport use to have it's own character in each country it was played, now it's all just a copy of the NRL. Boring!!!

siv

First Grade
The removal of scrums was something I didn't like from the ESL this year

While kicking the ball into touch to find field position is a game management tactic

While the scrum for a knock-on or forward pass remains

Would have preferred a simple reduction in the scrum shot clock by 5 seconds

Anyone know how many successful 40m field goal attempts we've had in any period of last 20 years?

I feel its just a publicity stunt almost. Gets everyone riled up and talking in the off season, gearing up and tuning in next year to shit can it and it won't even happen just like 20/40.

I bet every coach they asked said "no one will ever use that" and they went "perfect, its in."

No, but since 2016 there has been only 2 successful field goals from 40 or more metres -

1. Corey Norman, 41 metre field goal, Round 14, 2019 v Newcastle Knights; and
  2. Michael Morgan, 42 metre field goal, Round 1, 2020 v Broncos.
Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/17b35dda0a0ae7a052f04c36af87bd96

T-Boon

Coach
I think the 2 point field goal could be good to set up some trickery or play action. Fake drop goal attempt followed by hand off to the dummy half in a sweep play chip to the corner for the extra set of downs.

T-Boon

Coach
Or even set up for the field goal, play action from the dummy half to draw the linebackers into thinking we are going for it then designed run for the dummy half with a handoff for Papenhausen into the in-zone.

BadnMean

Juniors
In the entire 1997 Super League competition there was one game from 96 played with a losing score of 30 or more. That was the 48-36 Bulldogs-Hunter match. The average score of 21.32 was less than half a point more than this year's average of 20.88. 42 points was reached 8 times in 96 games, or once every 12 games in Super League, compared to 23 times this year from 169 games, once every 7.3 games.

They went away from it because the game was being torn to shreds and it was in the interests of all that a solution was found.

In my opinion, league was fast enough this year- with the needle swung so far to attack I don't want to see it go any further. I hate basketball. Rugby 7s is actually really dull even though they score every second possession. Defence builds suspense and makes scoring an achievement. I like big hits.

If you want scorelines to look like this again- fine. I don't. (last 4 rounds of (Super League)
PG9b28p

JEvzeOa.png

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/super-league-1997/results.html

T-Boon

Coach
In my opinion, league was fast enough this year- with the needle swung so far to attack I don't want to see it go any further. I hate basketball. Rugby 7s is actually really dull even though they score every second possession. Defence builds suspense and makes scoring an achievement. I like big hits.

If you want scorelines to look like this again- fine. I don't. (last 4 rounds of (Super League)
PG9b28p

JEvzeOa.png

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/super-league-1997/results.html

we should go back to 5 metre rule but have 11 aside.

Valheru

Coach
Anyone know how many successful 40m field goal attempts we've had in any period of last 20 years?

I feel its just a publicity stunt almost. Gets everyone riled up and talking in the off season, gearing up and tuning in next year to shit can it and it won't even happen just like 20/40.

I bet every coach they asked said "no one will ever use that" and they went "perfect, its in."

There would be minimal but I reckon a lot of teams will try it next season.

If you are down by 2 with only a couple of minutes to go why wouldn't you set up to try it?

Tight games will become more of a circus than they already are.

Exsilium

First Grade
There would be minimal but I reckon a lot of teams will try it next season.

If you are down by 2 with only a couple of minutes to go why wouldn't you set up to try it?

Tight games will become more of a circus than they already are.

If I were a side down by 2 outside the 40m, I'd be shaping to kick the FG and draw the defence out of the line, only to run it straight up the middle.

Strategically it creates more variables in attack and defence. Whether our coaches take advantage of it, IDK.