What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

ALSGI

Bench
How refreshing it is to hear updates from the coach for a change.

A real coach. He talks about his assistants a lot, every chance actually, says we are lucky to have them.

Former imposter never did, except when asked by journos about Flanno.

We have 3 x real coaches, he’s got Soward working with the halves and kicking game, Nighty’s running around at training and club is talking to Graham about a role.

JDB not an issue and not at training - polar opposite to former imposter.

Impressive start to Hooks tenure that’s for sure.

Bloody well done Dragons!

SAP58

Juniors

A real coach. He talks about his assistants a lot, every chance actually, says we are lucky to have them.

We have 3 x real coaches, he’s got Soward working with the halves and kicking game, Nighty’s running around at training and club is talking to Graham about a role.

Couldn’t agree more. Every time I hear Hook interviewed he impresses me, he understands he has a challenge but good coaches unlike what we had previously relish that opportunity & challenge. Impressive start all right !

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am hoping Hook brings out the best in this team as it is one that has good cattle but used poorly the last few years. The rot started with the Price years. He made the forwards soft as fu#$ and they were a laughing stock. Ask Willie Mason. Mary came in and added some steel you must admit as they started a couple of years like a house on fire and were in the 8 for most of those years only to fade in the final games of the season. Mary lost the group when he started picking his favourites and not looking at form. He was just hoping these guys can come good when they clearly were not good enough e,g Lafai, Latimore etc. Because of this favouritism, players could slack off and put in small efforts, knowing they will get picked next week.

I don't think Hook has any of these bad traits Mary and Price had which is good but there may be something as he has rattled a few cages in Penrith. He is not very well liked, which I am hoping is just those idiots trying to sabotage the poor guys reputation. I hope Hook proves these clowns wrong and has Saints firing next season. The 2 years is a good idea as I am not a fan of long contracts for coaches unless they are proven premiership winning coaches.

ALSGI

Bench
I am hoping Hook brings out the best in this team as it is one that has good cattle but used poorly the last few years. The rot started with the Price years. He made the forwards soft as fu#$ and they were a laughing stock. Ask Willie Mason. Mary came in and added some steel you must admit as they started a couple of years like a house on fire and were in the 8 for most of those years only to fade in the final games of the season. Mary lost the group when he started picking his favourites and not looking at form. He was just hoping these guys can come good when they clearly were not good enough e,g Lafai, Latimore etc. Because of this favouritism, players could slack off and put in small efforts, knowing they will get picked next week.

I don't think Hook has any of these bad traits Mary and Price had which is good but there may be something as he has rattled a few cages in Penrith. He is not very well liked, which I am hoping is just those idiots trying to sabotage the poor guys reputation. I hope Hook proves these clowns wrong and has Saints firing next season. The 2 years is a good idea as I am not a fan of long contracts for coaches unless they are proven premiership winning coaches.
Yep, you raise an interesting point re Hooks unpopularity at Penriff towards the end when he was sacked with the team firmly in the finals. If Gould and his cronies played a part then, well Gould has lost all credibility imo. Absolute wanker. Not all Riff fans reckon Hook was bad far from it.

Hope he’s learned a lot at the Donkeys/Riff and we can support a coach for a change.

goldiesaintz

Juniors

I think after having McGregor failing for 8 years, I'm sure they'll keep resigning Hook for the foreseeable future, providing of course, he continues to improve the team.

As many have said, Hook is actually talking and making sense,
as opposed to McGregor having a 'cliche-a-thon' every time he fronted the media.

McGregor only used assistant coaches to throw under the bus when things turned pear shape.
Hook has a real interest in his two assistant coaches and acknowledges their roles, so the club can now put the team bus up for sale! The good news keeps on coming.

getsmarty

Immortal
Challenges ahead in 2021 for St George Illawarra
Latest News
r0_0_4134_2717_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Out: Jack de Belin remains subject to the NRL's no-fault stand down policy. Picture: John Veage.

r0_0_5315_3543_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Tough year: The Dragons had a difficult 2020 finishing 12th. Picture: John Veage.

r0_470_4496_2998_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

In charge: The St George Illawara Dragons new head coach Anthony Griffin at training. Picture: Supplied.

It is looking like it could already be a challenging 2021 season for the St George Illawarra Dragons as the team look to finalise its Top 30 players heading into pre-season.

The club, which has failed to make a finals appearance in four of its past five seasons, will have Anthony Griffin take over as head coach, after signing a two-year deal in September, following the mid-season exit of Paul McGregor.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," said Griffin in a statement released earlier this year.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

The Jack de Belin court matter did not reach a verdict as a result of a hung jury in Wollongong Local Court on Monday, November 30.

Mr de Belin remains subject to the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy.

In a statement released by the St George Illawarra Dragons, the club says that they "will continue to provide the necessary welfare support to de Belin and his family".

"Jack's continued court matter will have no impact on the playing roster - they will carry on with their pre-season training as planned."

St George Illawarra confirmed that winger Jason Saab had been released from his Dragons playing contract.

The club received an undisclosed fee for Saab's release, who is set to join the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles on a three-year deal.

Four spots now remain in the Dragons' Top 30 for the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

"A big focus for the Dragons on the recruitment and retention front is that our players, whether they're already here or are signed by the club, are 100 per cent committed to representing this proud organisation," general manager of football, Ben Haran said.

"We don't want to retain or sign players for the sake of it.

"We want to ensure that each player who walks through our gates every day is the right fit for the Dragons, especially during a period where so much change is afoot."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7038043/challenges-ahead-in-2021-for-st-george-illawarra/

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Challenges ahead in 2021 for St George Illawarra
Latest News
r0_0_4134_2717_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Out: Jack de Belin remains subject to the NRL's no-fault stand down policy. Picture: John Veage.

Tough year: The Dragons had a difficult 2020 finishing 12th. Picture: John Veage.

In charge: The St George Illawara Dragons new head coach Anthony Griffin at training. Picture: Supplied.

It is looking like it could already be a challenging 2021 season for the St George Illawarra Dragons as the team look to finalise its Top 30 players heading into pre-season.

The club, which has failed to make a finals appearance in four of its past five seasons, will have Anthony Griffin take over as head coach, after signing a two-year deal in September, following the mid-season exit of Paul McGregor.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," said Griffin in a statement released earlier this year.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

The Jack de Belin court matter did not reach a verdict as a result of a hung jury in Wollongong Local Court on Monday, November 30.

Mr de Belin remains subject to the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy.

In a statement released by the St George Illawarra Dragons, the club says that they "will continue to provide the necessary welfare support to de Belin and his family".

"Jack's continued court matter will have no impact on the playing roster - they will carry on with their pre-season training as planned."

St George Illawarra confirmed that winger Jason Saab had been released from his Dragons playing contract.

The club received an undisclosed fee for Saab's release, who is set to join the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles on a three-year deal.

Four spots now remain in the Dragons' Top 30 for the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

"A big focus for the Dragons on the recruitment and retention front is that our players, whether they're already here or are signed by the club, are 100 per cent committed to representing this proud organisation," general manager of football, Ben Haran said.

"We don't want to retain or sign players for the sake of it.

"We want to ensure that each player who walks through our gates every day is the right fit for the Dragons, especially during a period where so much change is afoot."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7038043/challenges-ahead-in-2021-for-st-george-illawarra/

Doesn't the image with JDB wearing an almost clear white jersey look great!
Yes, l know we need sponsors but a non-bastardised version as above is fabulous.

blacksafake

First Grade

I know a person real well who was working at the panthers during Hooks time there who says he is a really nice bloke. According to him the issues only started when Gould tried to stick his nose into the coaching of the team.

Gareth67

First Grade
Doesn't the image with JDB wearing an almost clear white jersey look great!
Yes, l know we need sponsors but a non-bastardised version as above is fabulous.

I must agree goldiesaintz - and a belated welcome to the forum . I do not understand why they can’t place the advertising on the back and sides , more so when one considers that the majority of league players have heads like walnuts ? ?

possm

Coach
I know a person real well who was working at the panthers during Hooks time there who says he is a really nice bloke. According to him the issues only started when Gould tried to stick his nose into the coaching of the team.
Yes, Gould tried to grab some credit for the performance of the Panther's NRL team.

I have no doubt Griffin will improve our squad this season. I will be a matter of how much improvement he can achieve and so, I'm of the opinion that it is very important he finds the right forwards to fill the gaps in our squad, we could go deep into the finals.

So, if Griffin sees the recruitment of Bird as the logical replacement of Frizell, then I can live with that and am looking forward to see how this unfolds. That will leave only two positions to sort out in the forwards for 2021, a top grade prop to partner Vaughan in the run on 13 and a replacement for De Belin should he be not available.

Given that Ford has been mentioned as the logical chioce to play lock until the De Belin matter is determined by the courts, it seems that only the prop rotation is now top priority however, I still feel that there are a number of positions in our starting 17 that are still up for grabs:

1. Dufty
2. Ramsey
3. Lomax
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Fa'amausili
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. Ford / De Belin

14. Kerr
15. Lawrie
16. Ellis
17. Fuimaono

So one new player into our backline and two new players into our forward pack. I'd say Griffin and his coaching staff have a lot of work on their hands trying to improve the performance of so many players in that 17.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hey Possm, looking at that backline, Do we need backs? If these guys fire, they will make a great backline for years to come. Young but hey they need to get experience and what better way than to be in the same squad. It is like the 2010 backline the won the comp. All Dragons juniors bar 1. Rawa for Darius.

If they replace one for a reserve grader or hasbeen (Lafai mark II), from another side and Saints lose Ramsey or Feagai, you will complain and say Millward is terrible and letting our juniors go.

I would be chasing big hard edged forwards and nothing else.

possm

Coach
Hey Possm, looking at that backline, Do we need backs? If these guys fire, they will make a great backline for years to come. Young but hey they need to get experience and what better way than to be in the same squad. It is like the 2010 backline the won the comp. All Dragons juniors bar 1. Rawa for Darius.

If they replace one for a reserve grader or hasbeen (Lafai mark II), from another side and Saints lose Ramsey or Feagai, you will complain and say Millward is terrible and letting our juniors go.

I would be chasing big hard edged forwards and nothing else.
I totally agree with you Slippery. What is even better news is that there are still some very promising backline players to come through.

I have question marks over 3 players in list I posted but believe these questions will be answered in the current off-season. The 3 positions/players I have questions over are:

1. Dufty - can he address and resolve his problems in defence, taking the high ball with confidence and his positional play.
6. Norman - he has the skills, will he use them and fire in 2021.
7. Hunt - he is a confidence player, can he fire behind a forward pack that might not be dominating. Can he switch to a plan B is required.

RedVDave

First Grade

He talks about his assistants doesn't blame them big difference I'm excited for the year ahead Griffin wants to prove a lot of people wrong.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
1. Dufty - can he address and resolve his problems in defence, taking the high ball with confidence and his positional play.
6. Norman - he has the skills, will he use them and fire in 2021.
7. Hunt - he is a confidence player, can he fire behind a forward pack that might not be dominating. Can he switch to a plan B is required.
Somehow I doubt the current coaches staff will let them play first grade if they do not improve on those weaknesses and their attitude, as they have youngsters ready to swoop in. This coaching staff will definitely give the juniors a run and not hold them back if someone is not performing like the previous mob. The 2 halves have already been put on notice and Hook has coached both at the Bronco's so he knows what they are capable of to bring out the best in them. At their best they are both quality, unfortunately they did not need to play at their best to get picked in the top 17 in the past. They were picked based on past form before they joined and their $ value.

getsmarty

Immortal
Anthony Griffin gives struggling halves no guarantees, outlines position plans for Jack Bird

Written By Ed Chisholm
@ChisholmEd

Jack Bird will be eased back from consecutive knee reconstructions via the back row, Anthony Griffin has revealed, as the new Dragons coach declares all spots in his starting side for next season are up for grabs this off-season.

Griffin started the latest chapter of his coaching career three weeks ago as the Red V returned for pre-season training, with the former Broncos and Panthers boss tasked with turning the once-proud club into a premiership force again.

Among the multitude of questions on Dragons fans' lips entering the 2021 season, those surrounding newest recruit Bird's position have been most prevalent.

The returning Dragons junior arrives from the Broncos with just 17 games in three seasons at Red Hill to his name, having contested with two knee reconstructions in that time.

On track to complete his rehabilitation in time for the Dragons' trial fixtures in February, Griffin believes Bird will be able to return to the heights that had him playing State of Origin while at Cronulla.

And while Bird played his best football at centre for the Sharks, Griffin told Sky Sports Radio he has different plans for his newest recruit's return to the field.

"He's frustrated obviously over the last couple of years he's had with his body," Griffin said of Bird's recovery.

"He's got about a month left in his rehab but he's got a real spring in his step.

"We did a heavy conditioning session yesterday and he flogged it, he's just got a real hunger about him, Jack. Hopefully mid-January he'll join the main group and be ready to play in the trials.

"I think the thing with Jack at the moment is the simpler the better. We might play him in the back row where he doesn't have that one-on-one dynamic movement both offensively and defensively early in his football so he just gets in there and gets dirty and gets some carries, make some tackles, gets some confidence in his knee.

"Whatever is best for the team and Jack after that, we'll sort it out."

Dragons fans will be desperately praying Griffin holds the key to unlocking failed halves Ben Hunt and Corey Norman, who he coached while at the Broncos.

The star pair, who together are reported to be occupying close to $1.8 million in salary cap space, have individually and collectively been made the scapegoats of the club's struggles in recent years.

While Hunt spent time and excelled playing hooker at times this season under Paul McGregor, and has done so in the Origin arena for Queensland too, Griffin has been insistent on him returning to halfback next year.

"Ben's a quality seven that can play nine. He can do it at both ends and he's done it at both ends in representative football as well," Griffin said of his maligned playmaker.

"He's a halfback that's played finals football, he's played grand finals, he's played at Origin level.

"He's coming to a part of his career where he's 30 now so to really fulfill his career it's important that he plays his best football of the next two or three years."

As for Norman, Griffin was blunt in outlining what it will take for the hot-and-cold five-eighth to gain his loyalty.

"There's a lot of potential still to be unlocked out of Corey Norman but in the end that'll come down to what Corey wants to do with his career and he's got an opportunity to do some really good stuff with the club this year," he said.

"He's a really good quality player... but by his own admission, he's not where he's needed to be the last couple of years.

"I think the key for Corey is that he works really hard, he prepares well and he's probably been guilty of not doing that.

"His first month since I've been here he's been spot on. My focus with him is that he doesn't cut any corners, he works really hard and he puts the team first."

Getty Images
But with promising playmakers Adam Clune and Jayden Sullivan showing glimpses of their talents this year also, Griffin has given no guarantees over Hunt and Norman's selection.

"With all the positions at the moment, they're up for grabs for whoever wants them and whoever's going to give to the team the most and perform in the off-season," Griffin added.

After three years out of the game following his last coaching stint with Penrith, Griffin's under no illusions as to the fact he's undertaken one of the hardest coaching jobs in the game currently.

While he's aware of the work still to be done before season kick-off in March, the new Dragons boss has been inspired by the attitudes of his players, both young and old.

"They finished bottom four the last couple of years so there's got to be some changes," he said.

"There'll probably be a couple more roster changes but in general it's fair to say we have underperformed.

"That's been a big focus for the first few weeks but their attitude's been very good, particular some of the older guys in the group like (Tariq) Sims and Norman, and I've been really impressed with the young brigade.

"We've got a really good younger group coming through and everything's been really positive."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...jack-bird-ben-hunt/11r3knoy7b227148tlzy16msze

RedVDave

First Grade
Paul McGregor: Ben Hunt will be in the 17 no matter what.

Anthony Griffin: I don't care how much money you're on no-one is safe.

Paul McGregor: I'll try the same thing every week and expect results.

Anthony Griffin: We need improve in every area.

Paul McGregor: Jack de Belin's absence has affected the team and our performances.

Anthony Griffin: it's out of my control we need to focus on our role and no worry about external factors.

George Dragon

Juniors
Great interview with Elliott and Gentle.
It really highlights the difference in expirence between these 3 and the other 3 we had for 7 odd year.
Each one of these coaches on their own have more expirence than McGregor Young and Hornby combined.
It really is astounding that we even signed all 3 at the same time let alone persistered with them.
Also how refreshing is it to actually want to listen to them and take something away from the interview.

getsmarty

Immortal
Great interview with Elliott and Gentle.
It really highlights the difference in expirence between these 3 and the other 3 we had for 7 odd year.
Each one of these coaches on their own have more expirence than McGregor Young and Hornby combined.
It really is astounding that we even signed all 3 at the same time let alone persistered with them.
Also how refreshing is it to actually want to listen to them and take something away from the interview.

Agree @George Dragon . And its about time after the last 8 years.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Agree @George Dragon . And its about time after the last 8 years.

I was just skimming through the NRL stats for the 2020 season & there wasn’t a dragon in the top 5 or top 10 for any significant category run meters, line breaks etc.. except for McInnes 3rd for tackles. The only other top fives were Ben Hunt number 4 for Missed Tackles & Zac Lomax number 1 for Errors!!!!

Hook & the boys have a huge job ahead of them.

Latest posts